corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » gsi engine problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author gsi engine problems
Keithie

User status: Offline
   3rd Jan 04 at 01:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick question (i think its stupid)...what happens if u put too much oil into the engine..i think i might have done this by mistake.
1.6 16v corsa gsi

i was coming from glasgow to london and the car started running horrible after about 300 miles, it felt like the engine had no oil, so i took a guess and added more. but now oil appeared along the seal, just under the top cover, and there was weird white chalk like stuff aswell. the car runs fine till it gets too hot, then drives crap again. any ideas??? im hoping its not the head gasket
LukeGSi

3rd Jan 04 at 01:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure exactly what it does but my 1st car was an E reg nova SR and i put WAY to much oil in that and lets just say it didnt do it much good!!!

Sorry really wasnt much help @ all was it!!
Keithie

3rd Jan 04 at 01:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh man what happened?? can it be serious?
PaulW

3rd Jan 04 at 02:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends how far it was driven & how hard.

I overfilled my 1.4 once, by quite a bit! I needed to fit new camshaft oil seal, valve stem oil seals! Mind the engine did go bang & pump out shit loads of white smoke when it went.

When you say chalk like stuff, is it gritty or is the oil more of a creamy solution?
luca2020

3rd Jan 04 at 02:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why did u guess??? was checking the dip stick too much hard work?
Keithie

3rd Jan 04 at 02:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The stuff was gritty (is that bad?), and im thinking i might have broken a seal aswell. will it cost much to fix?

i tried to check but the engine was warm and couldnt check properly, i had about 200 miles left to drive and had to carry on. dumb i know but i didnt fancy sitting on the hard shoulder of the M6 to wait for it to cool.
miles

3rd Jan 04 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How overfilled was it?

The white stuff might be salt from the road water that has dried on your engine. Mine is covered in it.

Is it running the same as before you put the oil in?

A hot engine still gives a fairly good indication on the dip stick as to how much oil is in it.
LukeGSi

3rd Jan 04 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
depends how far it was driven & how hard.

I overfilled my 1.4 once, by quite a bit! I needed to fit new camshaft oil seal, valve stem oil seals! Mind the engine did go bang & pump out shit loads of white smoke when it went.

When you say chalk like stuff, is it gritty or is the oil more of a creamy solution?

Exactly what my nova did!!! OOOPS!!
Keithie

3rd Jan 04 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it ran better for a couple of miles. im thinking it was running crap because the k&n got warm from the engine. (same thing happened today and i looked to see what the problem was and the thing seemed warm) im gonna do an oil change tommorow, and see if it runs better.

should i try and create a heat sheild or something? anyone done that ?
Skipz

3rd Jan 04 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u've got an oil leak get it checked out, if u've got white smoke still coming out theres a problem, if it's a bluey smoke ur valve stem oil seals are knackered! had it happen on a rover i had cos the previous owner over filled it!!!

New Poll