corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » welding help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author welding help
ROBSTA

User status: Offline
23rd Apr 04 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i might be able to get myself a very cheap mig welder. its runs off gas if thats any help but what im after is if anyone can tell me how had it is to pick to do?
can you get ones thats dont run off gas?

help me please, thanks
ed

23rd Apr 04 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mig welders don't run off gas, they run off electricity. The gas used is inert and is sprayed around the area being welded to stpo the steel or aluminium being oxidised when arced (heated).
You can buy, from Halfords or B&Q, a cheap MIG welder that will run with gas or without gas. To run the welder you can buy small bottles of gas that will fit onto your welder and a reel (the wire that is fed into the joint) which is made from a material for welding for gas welding. The actual gas is a mix of Argon and Carbon Dioxide.
For gasless welding you disconnet the gas bottle and use a gassless reel, this reel contains a flux to clean the joint.
The reels are automatically fed by the welder using a small motor and mechanism inside.
I'd recomend gasless welding if you are jus starting out, as it all happens a bit slower that gas welding, though most welders you buy are dual purpose...

As for the technique, go to the dump and find some bits of steel and practice loads, you will pick it up pretty easily, but you also need to know how to set the machine up, or you can burn holes through your work. The instructions that come with your welder will be a help...
ROBSTA

23rd Apr 04 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate

i work at a peugeot garage and the bodyshops closed so i might buy it, but no instruction. how much is one from halfords roughly? i wanna smooth boots and the bonnet on my 106 with it to make some spondulys!
cheers
ed

23rd Apr 04 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was a poweful one and cost £250. They got chap ones there that'll cost about £100 though... If you'r doing car bodywork (NOT structural work) you only need a cheapy, cos you'll be running it at low power all the time anyway... If you need to do structural work you need a more powerful one cos the metals thicker and you need to melt it right through...
ROBSTA

23rd Apr 04 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate

i think ill invest in a new cheapish electric one cos im only gonna do bodywork and i dont know how old and kanckered it is!
antscorsa

23rd Apr 04 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

smooth boot over here plz geezer
Ojc

23rd Apr 04 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Weld the doors shut
combatvauxhall

23rd Apr 04 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck trying to weld aluminium with a MIG/MAGS welder. The gas for MIG/MAGS is Argonshield Light, green and blue with a white top. The gas for TIG welding is PURE ARGONSHIELD.

If your just going to use it for bits and bobs on your car, just get a cheapy, probably wont be cost effective to get a big amp one. If your going to be welding at home go for the FLux impregnated reel as the shield of gas can be disrupted by the wind leaving you with bird shit welds!

Welding isn't too difficult to learn, in the beginning you'll blow through every thing go too slow, fast for area, but as they say practice makes perfect

Why not see if any local coleges do evening classes in Welding etc

Good luck fella and if you get stuck................

UNLUCKY

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » welding help 23 database queries in 0.0069518 seconds