corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Concerned about failing my degree on dissertation.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Concerned about failing my degree on dissertation.
chris_lee100

User status: Offline
   10th May 04 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had to present my dissertation today to my tutor and a second marker, both guys had Phd's and I was very nervous. My dissertation was about 8000 words and was about voice recognition.

All seemed to be going well until the end of the presentation when they asked me questions. One of the guys said "OK you've created something, but it couldn't actually be used in real life".

Im gutted coz I think they might actually fail it. Have any of you written dissertations that have been failed ?? I would of thought you'd really have to take the piss to fail?? Cheers for looking
vibrio
Banned

10th May 04 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PMSL - you've created something, but can't be used in the real world like a pill to cure PMT

so long as you defended your dissertation whats the problem
Dr Pepper

10th May 04 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont see how they could fail it for that mate---- Dissertations dont have to show practicality...they are supposed to create a debate around a topic and show the result of your years at uni.....They should mark you on

1.originality of points raised
2.awareness of context
3.clarity of arguments
4.use of scholarly apparatus
5.evidence of research
Obviously i dont know exactly what your dissertation set out to achieve, but i would find it hard to believe you can be failed just because its not usefull in the real world---they would stilll mark you on the quality of your dissertation...not just on your conclusions.

Good luck mate---im in the middle of mine..absolute fukin nightmare

[Edited on 10-05-2004 by Dr Pepper]

[Edited on 10-05-2004 by Dr Pepper]
chris_lee100

10th May 04 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers lads, i just emailed the guy markin it and asked if he could inform me what range it falls into, as long as it scored above 45% im safe, its just these guys were a bit harsh
Simon

10th May 04 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i cant ad anything but what did u create and whay ouldnt it be used in real life? Can i have a breif version not the 8000 word version please
chris_lee100

10th May 04 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

intro paragraph
In this dissertation I will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of voice based commands and data input alongside current human-computer interfaces from the perspective of a Goods Handler. I will also focus on the major factors that have contributed to the drawn out success of current systems and why the widespread acceptance of voice based technology has yet to occur. I will refer to this dissertation as a report. My definition of job type ‘Goods Handler’ in this report is the role of an employee in a business whose job is to handle goods of varying size and bulk, often with two hands, and to input data into a computer system via a keyboard/mouse to track parcels and associate their status (e.g. scheduled delivery, delivery not attempted etc.). I will then move on to design a prototype which I will test and evaluate to eventually conclude with my findings.

I had a go at it using access and XP voice ability and discussed all the pro's and con's. It kind of worked but no way near as well as I thought it would of. I included testing etc. which actually showed this.
Dr Pepper

10th May 04 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesnt matter whether it worked or not---as long as the testing was fair, properly carried out and that you presented your findings with clarity
IntaCepta

10th May 04 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ur product can fail misserably but end up with a decent grade.

just handed mine in today
jaffa

10th May 04 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as said above really product can fail but if you have provided a fair and through test, drawn conclusions and summed it up then that can be worth more than if someone creates a working product but a shit right up.

Joff

10th May 04 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even at the end of the summary, if you say the subject fails because of x and you could have made it better by doing y then you'll still be marked.
IntaCepta

11th May 04 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea, make sure u are aware of ur design issues, self critise urself but in a constructive way.

maybe compare ur work with others?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Concerned about failing my degree on dissertation. 23 database queries in 0.0126781 seconds