corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » exhaust gasket/manifold

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author exhaust gasket/manifold
koolkorsa

User status: Offline
12th Jul 04 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to replace my exhaust gasket this afternoon. I've got haynes manual so know roughly what to do. Doesn';t make much sense unless you're at the car though i think! Anyway just wondering what tools i will need. I've got a socket set. Will i need to get under the car at all cos i don't have axel stands. Also how much is a gasket and will they have one in stock at a local motor factors or do i need to go to vauxhall?

Also this is my first attempt at engine maintenance so I hope i'm not biting off more than i can chew. Am I right in thinking this is relatively simple job and not a huge amount can go wrong? Touch wood!
sigibbons

12th Jul 04 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah just undo the 13mm nuts holding the manifold on the pull it away from the engine a bit (use of block of wood to tap it may make it easyer) and whip the gasket out and stik the new one it and bolt it all up.
koolkorsa

12th Jul 04 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers. So where and how much they cost?
mike_1.2LS96

12th Jul 04 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think mine was £2.

sigibbons

12th Jul 04 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go to vaux thats your best bet.
Greasemonkey

12th Jul 04 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if ya got PAS then good luck with the bottom left bolt, its a nightmare to get off, takes ages, ya can do it though with out removing anything just pull the manifold away from the block and slipe the new one in, just make sure the mating faces are spotless
koolkorsa

12th Jul 04 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right i think i'll give it a miss then if the bottom left bolt is a nightmare to get off!
Greasemonkey

12th Jul 04 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL sorry to put ya off, its just when i did mine there was plenty of swearing and cut knuckles, thats all, go on give it a bash
koolkorsa

12th Jul 04 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

koolkorsa

12th Jul 04 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took some pictures of the area just now. As you can see theres some black oily build up on the engine cover. Also the head shroud over the manifold (i think thats what its called) has got some serious staining on it.
Greasemonkey

12th Jul 04 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats staining on the manifold heat shield is normal, to definately test if the gasket has gone remove the heat shield and get some bog roll. make sure ya in a garage or sheltered area, start the car and hold a sheet or bog roll, even half it so its thinner, around the gasket and watch for leaks, the bog roll will move lol, but i aint really sure if ya gasket has gone TBH
For the sake or a few quid ya might as well change it but looking at the pics ya got EGR stuff (ecotec engine) which i aint, you will have to unbolt all that to get to some bolts etc, cjeck ya dont need any new gaskets/seals for the egr stuff ya might need to remove, ya might be ok and not need to, Try it

[Edited on 12-07-2004 by Greasemonkey]

New Poll