corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » argh - fibreglass shite and floods dont mix (pics now added)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author argh - fibreglass shite and floods dont mix (pics now added)
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Aug 04 at 01:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got in from good nite out - I drove - neway hit a flood in the middle of nowhere at about 40 - waters ripped clean through back bumper and knocked an arch off

Fibreglass tat is shite and about as strong as shit. Im so pissed off.........grrrr Another Job for tomorrow - if the damn rain stops by then

Pictures up in the morning

[Edited on 10-08-2004 by LiVe LeE]
RichR
Premium Member

10th Aug 04 at 01:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iys snapped the diffuser (below the exhaust) in half and ripped it to bits - ne ideas of what to do when i repair it - ie get rid of the diffuser and block the ends off so it drops down either side. or mould another diffuser on (306/saxo style one) cant decide so photoshops welcome

RichR
Premium Member

10th Aug 04 at 06:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

diddon

10th Aug 04 at 06:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks very nasty mate
RichR
Premium Member

10th Aug 04 at 06:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thankfully part of my course at uni is Laminating and working with Composites - so (along with my best mates composite workshop) Ive got the facilities and knowhow to fix it properly but - grrrr PSG are so shit - its wafer thin chop strand fibreglass which is as strong as shit IMO - really am pissed off tho - 25 days till trax as well
RichR
Premium Member

10th Aug 04 at 06:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stubbsy

10th Aug 04 at 07:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont worry mate we will get it sorted. get the measurements of the exhaust going on (if its still going on) then we can make sure they defo fit.
i got plenty of time now give u a hand now anyway
AK

10th Aug 04 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

easy fix....

but...... it has to be asked.....

How fast did you go through the river
RichR
Premium Member

10th Aug 04 at 07:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

- well get ur ass up here then seeing as its all ur missus' fault - to top it off cars going for diagnostics check just after dinner - but bumpers to close to ground to drive it there - so Ive gotta fix it this morning grrrrrrrr
RichR
Premium Member

10th Aug 04 at 07:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bout 40 ish - didnt see it at all -but literally a 6 mile stretch between my house and the nearest town was flooded so should have slowed down - no1 to blame but me
L330wnz

10th Aug 04 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sellotape it up to go to diagnostics
RichR
Premium Member

10th Aug 04 at 07:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no - got a morning spare -so mite as well get the glass out - just wont do the skim of filler - leave that till its ready for spraying - I'll keep posting pics throughout the day of progress
stubbsy

10th Aug 04 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant get up there as my car is fooked

can you put a brace inbetween the bumper and mask it up for the time being???
RichR
Premium Member

10th Aug 04 at 08:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no - its all in place now - just gonna glass over an aluminium mesh thats on the underside of the bumper - Ive braced the underside with a fibreglass tube and gonna run two Balsa wood ribs along the width of the diffuser and glass over them - hopefull that should hold it - then have to just smooth and spray - all good -job done

somehow I doubt it'll go that well
jaffa

10th Aug 04 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3CorsaMeal

10th Aug 04 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like what it say on the P40 tub (the stuff exotic sports cars are made from)
RichR
Premium Member

10th Aug 04 at 08:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol - not using P40 just yet - going to use some bi-axial sheet Ive got left over from my uni work; then chop strand matt over the top

Im just gonna skim it with P40 to bridge a gap thats there - then finish it with P38 and bobs ur uncle can spray it this week then

Just wish the damn rain would stop
FlamingCorsa

10th Aug 04 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

blimy thats pretty scary, cant belive that, gutted to c that mate cos u car was imiculate sure u will get it sorted! iaz
RichR
Premium Member

10th Aug 04 at 09:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

learn from my mistakes - dont take Jag corsa out when theres a risk of flooding lol
RichR
Premium Member

10th Aug 04 at 23:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

up
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Aug 04 at 23:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not just fiberglass, I pulled nearly the entire GSi skirt off the other day, got out and the front was a foot away from the wing
Matt H

11th Aug 04 at 00:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Its not just fiberglass, I pulled nearly the entire GSi skirt off the other day, got out and the front was a foot away from the wing

i did

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » argh - fibreglass shite and floods dont mix (pics now added) 23 database queries in 0.0206439 seconds