corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Internal or external?

Poll: Internal or external?
  Internal
  External

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Internal or external?
Pablo

User status: Offline
1st Nov 04 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinkin of changing my 2 hard disks for one! But do I get a 400GB Internal drive or 400GB USB 2 External drive?

I can decide think External be handy and should be just as quick slightly cheaper too, but what you guys thnk??

Icy

1st Nov 04 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can buy internal one and buy external case

they do 400gb's now?
much?
was gona get another 200
Pablo

1st Nov 04 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/harddiskdrives/externalharddiskdrives/productView.htm?quicklinx=37YL
Dom

1st Nov 04 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get an internal one, will be cheaper Hitachi SATA 400gig drive is 277 quid though

although i dont really reat hitachi all that though, better than maxtor mind but i would rather wait until seagate get something like that
Icy

1st Nov 04 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by P4UL
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/harddiskdrives/externalharddiskdrives/productView.htm?quicklinx=37YL

Tim
Site Administrator

1st Nov 04 at 22:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hitachi Deskstars are based on the old IBM drives and considering the world-renowned problems with those drives I wouldn't go near one with a barge pole...

If you want that kind of storage why not go for 2 x 200gb drives for £70 each and use a volume manager...

...or buy 3 x 200gb drives and raid5 them -- bit of speed and a bit of resilience... and still 400Gb
Dom

1st Nov 04 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
Hitachi Deskstars are based on the old IBM drives and considering the world-renowned problems with those drives I wouldn't go near one with a barge pole...

If you want that kind of storage why not go for 2 x 200gb drives for £70 each and use a volume manager...

...or buy 3 x 200gb drives and raid5 them -- bit of speed and a bit of resilience... and still 400Gb

im going for a raid system with 2x 200gug seagate drives...never had a problem with them, super it my old raided machine and i never noticed them getting that hot should give me near enough 400 gigs which i will be happy with
Tim
Site Administrator

1st Nov 04 at 22:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

im going for a raid system with 2x 200gug seagate drives...never had a problem with them, super it my old raided machine and i never noticed them getting that hot should give me near enough 400 gigs which i will be happy with

I've always been tempted by doing this -- RAID0 is nice for performance and you don't lose space... but I'm just not sure I could deal with either drive failing and losing all my data

Plus I used to own an IBM Deskstar so I know what it's like for a drive to break in the first month of use The day after I bought two identical drives and have been on raid1 ever since...

I'm going to stick with my mirrored drives (I'm ultra paranoid!)
Dom

1st Nov 04 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

I've always been tempted by doing this -- RAID0 is nice for performance and you don't lose space... but I'm just not sure I could deal with either drive failing and losing all my data

Plus I used to own an IBM Deskstar so I know what it's like for a drive to break in the first month of use The day after I bought two identical drives and have been on raid1 ever since...

I'm going to stick with my mirrored drives (I'm ultra paranoid!)

yea i know what you mean, but i have had a 60 gig maxtor drive which is nearly 4yrs old which is still going strong (been getting a daily trashing), touch wood, and i dont think of maxtor that highly so

yea i like raid 0, offers great performance for not alot although if i had the cash to burn i would get 4 drives raided (performance + mirrored), but then again i would rather buy a dual layer DVD burner and just backup stuff to disc
CorsAsh

1st Nov 04 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mates just set up two WD 37gig Raptors with RAID, its silly quick, the blue bar that appears when XP is bootin up doesnt make it across the screen once...
Tim
Site Administrator

1st Nov 04 at 23:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup I've got two 60Gb Maxtors and they've been going strong ever since my IBM died... I never rated Maxtor but seeing as these are doing well, seem to perform ok, are quite quiet -- I really can't complain about them
Dom

1st Nov 04 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
Mates just set up two WD 37gig Raptors with RAID, its silly quick, the blue bar that appears when XP is bootin up doesnt make it across the screen once...

great drives, shame about the lack of space though...but would be good on a gaming machine or graphics machine

although fibrewire has just started to creep onto the market, which looks pretty good
Dom

1st Nov 04 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
Yup I've got two 60Gb Maxtors and they've been going strong ever since my IBM died... I never rated Maxtor but seeing as these are doing well, seem to perform ok, are quite quiet -- I really can't complain about them

yea there alright...ive found they get quite hot in my current system, which is running one 60gig and a 80gig maxtor drivers But seagates have my vote, find them alot quieter than the maxtor drives and seem to produce alot less eat, which is always a good thing.

But hopefully, in a few weeks i should have SATA going and ill see what its like
Nismo

1st Nov 04 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just buy the internal drive and if you dont want it internally , buy a usb case for a tenner and stick it in that

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Internal or external? 23 database queries in 0.0147660 seconds