corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » GPS HELP PLEASE!!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author GPS HELP PLEASE!!!
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Dec 04 at 09:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just browsing through the settings in my tomtom GPS and there are three options i have no clue what they are or how they affect the GPS tracking but the options are

D0 m's"

D0m.m'

D.D0

the 0's are like a degrees symbol?

anyone know
Tim
Site Administrator

21st Dec 04 at 10:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems like it adjusts how it displays angles?

Degrees - minutes - seconds, Degrees.minutes, etc etc...

Look in the manual?
Steve
Premium Member

21st Dec 04 at 10:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

manual dont say shite about it, what do u think would be best to have it on?
Steve
Premium Member

21st Dec 04 at 10:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i cant seem to find anything on the net either dno if anyone else has been successful
Steve
Premium Member

21st Dec 04 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anybody work nething out from this?

http://www.satsig.net/lat_long.htm
3CorsaMeal

21st Dec 04 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep, its like grid coordinates, expressed in degree's and minutes, personnally i'd choose the D.D0 setting
Steve
Premium Member

21st Dec 04 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

according to that site though d0m's" is the most accurate from what i can make out

[Edited on 21-12-2004 by GSiSteve]
3CorsaMeal

21st Dec 04 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, but is better as 34.6 imo
3CorsaMeal

21st Dec 04 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks neater than 34 degrees and 60 minutes
Steve
Premium Member

21st Dec 04 at 10:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ffs i dont care about neatness i want the most accurate
Steve
Premium Member

21st Dec 04 at 17:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i emailed an expert about it this is what he said

"Stephen

If you want to put your location into my calculator at http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm then the appropriate option would be degrees and decimal parts of a degree.

If you use the degree minute second option you have to divide the seconds by 60 add the result to the minutes, divide that result by 60 and add the final amount to the whole degrees - it should give same amswer as above.

If you use deg, minutes and decimal parts of minute then divide the minutes and decimal parts of minute by 60 and add the result to the whole degrees. It should give same result as above.

Unless the degrees and decimal parts of degree option display truncates to just a very few decimal places it is likely that the accuracy of all options is exactly the same - a few metres, which is far better than is required for dish pointing.

Best regards, Eric"

so basically hes saying all methods add up to the same figure, so why have the different types in there in the first place
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Dec 04 at 19:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GSiSteve
why have the different types in there in the first place
For the same reason that you might say 1:32pm or 13:32:52 or 13:32:52 21-12-2004, they're all the same time, just displayed differently.

Same as its easier to say tell someone you're going to meet them in an hour and a half, not 5523 seconds.

The accuracy is only lost in what you read which for convenience sake it a worthwhile compromise.

[Edited on 21-12-2004 by Ian]
Steve
Premium Member

21st Dec 04 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i see where your coming from, do u understand ne of that shite he was talking about ian?
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Dec 04 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't read it.

Every date stamp here we store as the number of seconds since Jan 1st 1970, its a standard way of representing things. When they're displayed it doesn't make sense to go for absolute accuracy. If you're involving humans its far easier for them to interpret the figures if they're presented more appropriately.

Sometimes you'll see things like normal dates and you can even convert in to text, like Buddy List will occasionally say 'Just Left' rather than give you a figure which by the time the page has downloaded is wrong.
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Dec 04 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eric
it should give same amswer as above
Notice he says this a few times. Its about display, not internal workings.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Dec 04 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so the same thing could be true of methods of working out a gps location?
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Dec 04 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd assume so.

Don't forget, if its using standard NMEA sentences then its getting lat and long in the standard format anyway. I'd be very surprised if its getting different data based on some configuration option.

He's talking about pointing a dish as well, you're talking about pointing a car? You can't need all that much accuracy for the latter.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Dec 04 at 19:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers ian can i come and do sexual things to you in the back of you gsi? we can compare ariel lengths
3CorsaMeal

22nd Dec 04 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

told you it was the same thing, so neatness would be the only deciding factor
Ojc

22nd Dec 04 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Along with the EMA console read out
3CorsaMeal

22nd Dec 04 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i tend to use the SMB mode and sit back and let it do all the work
Ojc

22nd Dec 04 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find with SMB readout the console tends to over read and makes the EMAO data flux from one crossover board to another.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » GPS HELP PLEASE!!! 23 database queries in 0.0139449 seconds