corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » I-pod from America

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I-pod from America
Melville

User status: Offline
7th Mar 05 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going to America next month and was wondering if I can buy an Ipod from there. Ive seen them advertised on ebay from america but they come with a 2 pin plug. Can they stil be charged via usb or even in the car? Any other problems that would mean I couldnt use it?

Cheers Mark
James_DT

7th Mar 05 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can just buy a new UK plug from Apple.
Nismo

7th Mar 05 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah cut the plug of wire in a UK one, cheaper than buying a cable and will take 2mins.
Adam

7th Mar 05 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or just buy a US-UK socket adapter for about £5
Mad Moe

7th Mar 05 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate bought his in New York from the Apple shop and they actually asked if wanted a UK plug instead
Melville

7th Mar 05 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one lads, will have a butchers when Im over there and see if there much cheaper
bree

7th Mar 05 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have the ipod mini and it has the usb plug in and the wall plug in but not like the uk 1 but im sure they have both
Jodi_the_g

7th Mar 05 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah they are about half the price of buying one here
Mad Moe

7th Mar 05 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are the same price in Dollars as the are in pounds here apprently i.e. £200 UK - $200 US
Dom

7th Mar 05 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my bro was over there a week ago, and tbh your only gonna save around 60quid - plus he was saying security is "to the extreme" in airports and they checked his bags and everything.

So if you are getting one, dump the packaging over there and mail yourself the reciepts/manuals etc etc That way, you can bluff it that you got it over in the UK etc and wont get rolloxed for import duties or anything
Tim
Site Administrator

7th Mar 05 at 14:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Moe
They are the same price in Dollars as the are in pounds here apprently i.e. £200 UK - $200 US

Not quite, but they are cheaper... Mini ipod for example is $200 or £139... so you save about £30...

Definitely worth doing if you're going over there and you're not going to declare it. Not worth ever having shipped from the US as you'll pay VAT when it comes in to the UK (unless you have a relative over there who sends it as a 'gift')
Melville

7th Mar 05 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one dom
Dom

7th Mar 05 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Moe

Not quite, but they are cheaper... Mini ipod for example is $200 or £139... so you save about £30...

Definitely worth doing if you're going over there and you're not going to declare it. Not worth ever having shipped from the US as you'll pay VAT when it comes in to the UK (unless you have a relative over there who sends it as a 'gift')

20gig pods you save around 90 quid, shuffles you save around 30-40 quid, and like you said tim, minis you save around 30 quid. Not huge saving, but worth it if your out there anyways

But like i said, as long as you havnt got anything in your luggage/on you to say that you got it in the states you should be fine if they search bags etc - just that you would easily loose the discount in price if they rolloxed you for it etc (import duty is 22.7% i think)
rambokid

7th Mar 05 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or you could just get the cables that you plug into your stereo

the plug for the ipod slips off, so it can be interchanged with a uk version or us version, and it connects via that, so slip it off, stick in the other power lead, plug it in and hey presto
James_DT

7th Mar 05 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you buy direct from Apple you'll get a choice of UK plug if you got it over in the US anyway. Just like either our iPod or iBook came with the US plug aswell when it was bought direct from Apple UK.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » I-pod from America 23 database queries in 0.0324221 seconds