corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Blue smoke,need your input

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Blue smoke,need your input
Lazarus1

User status: Offline
15th May 05 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok,today two of my friends driving behind me noticed that from time to time my corsa(1.4 16v,60k on the clock) spits blue smoke out of the exhaust.Now i've red several posts on the search engine and basicly what i know now it could be 3 things causing the problem:
1.stem valve seals
2.oil rings on the pistons
3.head gasket
What i want to know is it normal/common for 1 and 2 to ware out after 60k?is it something replacable?that means taking the engine apart,right?Also,if i do a compression test what will it reveal?
Thanks.
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

15th May 05 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

smoke on start up usually means stem seals, the reason for this is the oil leaks past the seal overnight and as soon as the valve opens, oil is allowed into the chamber.

smoke whilst driving is usually gasket or worn rings, although if it smokes badly whilst on overrun (boot it in 2nd or 3rd, come off the throttle) if lots of smoke appears its probably rings.

a compression test is a good idea, but its likely you will need the head off to work out exactly what it is. while the heads off, do the rings, and stem seals. and of course a gasket set.

gasket set includes all the gaskets you will need, including the stem seals.

[Edited on 15-05-2005 by corsa808]
Twiggy

15th May 05 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GET AN XEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

15th May 05 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by REDSPORT
GET AN XEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

you would say that
Siberia

16th May 05 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine does this... also drinks a litre of oil a week.... to lazy to rebuild it though... maybe when it comes out to go into its new home i'll rebuild it then.
Lazarus1

16th May 05 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks corsa808 that clears things up a bit.

New Poll