corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » In Car Computer software, feature suggestions

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author In Car Computer software, feature suggestions
mikehiow

User status: Offline
23rd Aug 05 at 02:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, work starts very soon on this, started drawing up the plan for it,

here is the basic idea of what I will include

Media Library, sortable by type, playlists, genre, artist and album, mp3's will show visulisation of some sort and track details, video's will automatically play full screen (a full collection of music video's would be nice )

GPS Capabilities, I will aim to add GPS support for some of the most popular GPS systems, but this all depends on what ones (if any) have linux support.

Webcam support, for things like parking camera, and recording driving etc.

WiFi support for transfering files from your home pc to your car outside and for internet access at hotspots etc.

Couple of things I've been thinking of, although need input on, digital guages, possibly like rev counter, speedo, boost etc.? anyone know of any method to get this data to the PC?

The other thing is diagnostics, anyone know what is required to read diag's on a PC?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated, what kind of interest is there for others wanting this software when finnished?
Dom

23rd Aug 05 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

getting info like speed, revs etc can be had from the ECU using a diagnostic to serial board (can be had for around the 100 quid mark), then you need to write software or something to send commands over the serial link to get data back - pretty easy if youre good at visual basic/C++ etc

stuff like digital gauge, well you will need to build circuity for that yourself unless its available, same as boost info (you will need some sort of sensor for starters).

Again, diagnostics you use the same thing as above, just send different commands to get different data.
mikehiow

24th Aug 05 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aha, processing data etc. isn't a problem with the correct interface (especially on serial), any idea where I'd find one of these serial interfaces?

Is there a specification available for vauxhalls on some kind of protocol for reading data from the diag port?

I was hopeing there would be something that would convert a signal from something like a boost guage wire and give out a digital signal, something that users (if distributed) can buy and add on to gain more functionality themselves.
Dom

24th Aug 05 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do a google for a vauxhall/opel diagnostics board or ecu serial interface, something along those lines. I was looking at them to build LCD clocks (but gave up due to the costs of making an LCD that size).

But yea, like you say, its easy especially over serial - but you can also get already done software that will allow you to change stuff on the ecu itself etc.

as for the boost gauges, well you can buy vcauum senders (Dakota Digital do them i believe) - though i havent a clue what it gives out, so you'll probably have to build upon something like that.
also stuff like water/oil temperature isnt stored in the ECU (not that i know of) so you will need senders for those also if you want them to be sent to your pc.
and if more than one sender is being used, then i would have thought it would be easier to create a little processor unit (using something like a PIC) process all of the data from the senders and then fire it up via serial to the pc system, would mean more control - though more headaches also.
Bart

25th Aug 05 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This should help you out.
This is something im going to do in my next card, except im gonna put probably 3 PCs in the car and network them all.
mikehiow

25th Aug 05 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why 3? what possible use could that have?

but cheers for the link, given me some interesting ideas.

oh you legend!

LCD clocks, with the music controls etc. on them too

[Edited on 25-08-2005 by mikehiow]
kennywood

25th Aug 05 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I can't understand why 3 pcs. The only advantage is just to say you have done it !

I am currently building a pc in my Subaru. I have all the kit nearly installed. Working along the same sort of lines you guys want to do I can actually tune the car using my Carputer. My car has an Apexi Power FC in it and I can connect this using whats called the datalogit adapter. This connects the ECU to the computer.

Here you can get all the details like boost, temperature, map settings etc etc

mikehiow

25th Aug 05 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice
Bart

26th Aug 05 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mikehiow
why 3? what possible use could that have?

[Edited on 25-08-2005 by mikehiow]

Well, i was thinking, 2 PCs can be networked in the back for people playing games and that etc, and also going on the internet when they are bored on long journeys... and mainly just to say i have done it
The main PC in the front would be mainly for everything discussed above.
mikehiow

26th Aug 05 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely it would be better to have 2 xbox's in the back? mod chipped, with XBMC to be able to stream media from the main pc for the front.

thats how I'd do that

but, seriously dude, network play in the back of the car, that sounds amazing

you would need some heavy battery power and a big alternator
James@CCC

26th Aug 05 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know for a fact there was once a link on corsasport somewhere to software that could read the ecu.

I was just young and naive at the time and never saved it

New Poll