corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » alloy wheels refubish ment ???

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author alloy wheels refubish ment ???
lukewills

User status: Offline
   25th Mar 06 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does any one know of any were around the reading area that does it and roughly how much. got some cav gsi wheels want sorting and sparying gloss black

thanks

punkymt1

25th Mar 06 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lukewills
does any one know of any were around the reading area that does it and roughly how much. got some cav gsi wheels want sorting and sparying gloss black

thanks

Why don't you DIY? It saves you a lot of money. All you need is patience, time and lots of sandpaper.
johnny27

25th Mar 06 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest, its well worth the money for a proper wheel refurb. As long as its not too expensive. £35 a wheel is a decent price, if you can get it at that. DIY is not really that gd if you don't have experince. Areosol's are really useless compared to properly painted wheels, they have a bad finish, may look alright at the time, but compare it to a properly painted wheel and there is no comparison. Espically silver areosols, for a start there is no such thing as a good silver in aresols, the all have a textured like finish, even tho there suppose to be smooth, and a aresol lacquer is really poor over silver, as the 1k lacquer is not thick enough and has little shine over silver. Its not even that great over any colour, proper 2k lacquer will cost of £25 a litre for glasurit, and it won't let you down. Plus you know the score with prep work, and good quailty high build primers, the areosol one's are like water. Pay someone to do it, if you want your car to look gd, and not let it down by crappy looking homemade job on the wheels. I'm not trying to offend anyone, you can get certain colours in areosol that look half decent, but its not hard to tell which is DIY and which is pro.
johnny27

25th Mar 06 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also even gloss black areosols, are'nt a great finish but not as bad as silver, and it will need lacquering also. If you get your wheels done somewhere, ask them to use a 2k black, since striaght black will come in 2k unlike silver, and you can lacquer over the 2k also. Would be a really hard solid finish, better protection with stonechips
mikeySR

25th Mar 06 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm happy enough with my rattle-can work,
johnny27

25th Mar 06 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done mikey very nice, would be intresting to see the same wheel side by side with one painted with the same colour code and a 2k lacquer. If you look closely at the finish you'll see the glare or reflection is perferatied (sp) where as one painted with glasurit lacquer the reflection would be like a mirror. Even the basecoat is perferated in areosol, its not smooth, and i know that you can smooth with the scotchbrite, but i'm talking about it in a different sense, even the the surface seems smooth but the glare and reflection are'nt. You prob know what i mean. The good lacquer's seem to give the paint a real depth look, where as 1k lacquer like in the tin are flat. BTW i'm not trying to critise you, i'm just pointing out the difference's i think your wheel looks really well. But its worth the money for a perfect mirror finish, but when budget won't strech i suppose the spray can is better than a old scuffed wheel
jaygsi

26th Mar 06 at 01:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea i did my alloys on my nova in white looked quite good
Planty02

26th Mar 06 at 02:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

me n a mate did mine with cans and got a really good finish (IMO)

more pics in my garage

[Edited on 26-03-2006 by Planty02]
punkymt1

26th Mar 06 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wheel Refurb

check out this link .. to me from aluminium they became perfect chromes. Excellent job

See pg 12 - pics of the car.

New Poll