corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Cable Internet (Telewest)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cable Internet (Telewest)
PaulW

User status: Offline
19th Apr 06 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The new house I'm moving into has cable... and is in a Telewest area

I'm looking at the 10meg connection, with evening & weekend calls bundled in, but I'm wondering what is the guarentee of hitting 10meg?

I know it says upto 10meg on there site, and the support line said the same, but just wondering if there are any horror stories? Will be routed via a dedicated fire-box (linux, blah) so will need to be connected via regular RJ45 (NIC)

Dom

19th Apr 06 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

flatmate of mine in crosby gets 1MB down majority of the time, says its pretty good and yea, cable modem has nic out on them
PaulW

19th Apr 06 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahhh good good! i'll be getting that installed then when we move in

the cable modem and such is already there, just need reconnecting as far as im aware!
ssj_kakarot

19th Apr 06 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im on ntl 10meg never get a 1mb download speed usually about 700k, but im in a built up area and i know a lot of people have ntl who live near me.
Dom

19th Apr 06 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
ahhh good good! i'll be getting that installed then when we move in

the cable modem and such is already there, just need reconnecting as far as im aware!

usually they take the modem away when a customer leaves as its rental is included in the price, but an engineer will probably have to come out etc etc (which is about the only headache you'll get - unless you have a shoddy line/equipment in which case it could get worse!).

btw, telewests (blueyonder) isnt capped, but they have a "soft" cap - so dont go raping it (over 110gigs a month and they might drop you a letter and dump your internet access).

Also, might be worth checking out www.cableforums.co.uk , once in a while for news/updates etc, plus if you need any help - lots of engineers over there, though its mainly ntl based site.

ssj - ntl here (backk home down south) too, and i dont suffer any problems what so ever, usually get around 200-260kb/s on my 2mb connection (apart from the occasional spike of about 5mb/s )
ssj_kakarot

20th Apr 06 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think its the modem tbh sure i read something about the modem old surfboard one i have not being able to go above 5meg really should get a new one ordered but the customer service is well really crap
Dom

20th Apr 06 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
i think its the modem tbh sure i read something about the modem old surfboard one i have not being able to go above 5meg really should get a new one ordered but the customer service is well really crap

yea your right, you need to change the modem mate - i believe they were only ever rated for 6mb (something like that). Just drop it or phone up and say it isnt working, they'll get an engineer around and sort it out.
Customer Services arnt brilliant, but they will sort it out after a while
ssj_kakarot

20th Apr 06 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol there turds even the engineers last time he was here to change one of our digital boxes yet again (they have been out at least 15 times since we've had ntl) i ased him to change the other digital box in the other room as its still the old one and he told us he couldnt and we would have to ring customer services to get some one out again, wtf he was in my house already and i know he had loads of boxes in the back of his vn becasue i seen them lol
abdus

20th Apr 06 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah NTL engineers are dumb...actually they are sub-contracters thats y I think they never give anything more than they are meant to do

same problem with me too...and I called customer service and told them that I wanted ALL the boxes in the house to get changed...LOL
Dom

20th Apr 06 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

around here, the egineers are actually apart of NTL and majority of them seem to be alright - wired our digi box so we could still recieve channels via the RF out etc etc

but tbh, we've havent really had any problems, touch wood - so can't really comment in that area!

though its probably true that couldnt swap out another box as its against regulations etc though the engineers usually carry a few spares

New Poll