corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » induction kits on turbo'd cars

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author induction kits on turbo'd cars
DarrenGSi

User status: Offline
24th May 06 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my friends brother has got a 55 ibiza cupra 1.8 20v turbo. he got an induction kit for it and fitted on the passenger side of the engine at the back, where the airbox was.

The thing is, it sounds like it is dumping the air out of the induction kit
I have no knowledge of turbo'd cars, is this normal?

The car has a front mounted intercooler as standard and this goes to the inlet manifold and to the turbo which are both at the front.

It just looks like the induction kit should be at the front going into the inlet manifold, i cant see where the pipe for the airbox goes to but its down the back of the engine somewhere.

Just want to know why its blowing air out instead of sucking it in

Thanks
Carl

24th May 06 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sure your not hearing the turbo? If i can my air filter out i can hear the turbo more in mine and people with induction kits that i know you can hear the turbo whistling an stuff alot more than before with standard air filter etc.
scoob
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 17:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

standerd dv was probly filterd into the air box to reduce noise since you removed it you can here it
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 17:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will have a recirc vavle and as it dumps back into the air intake pipe then yes you will here it dumping through the induction kit.

It doesnt have a FMIC but a side mounted intercooler.

PS, tell him to take the induction kit off, it will be losing him power and knackering his MAF slowly
JadeM
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it sound like a horse snortling??? Breeehehehehehehe-Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

My scooby used to
Marc

24th May 06 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your scoobys MAF has probably died a horrible death by now Kolin
DarrenGSi

24th May 06 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the car is standard apart from the induction kit, does it come with a recirc standard? im sure it is a FMIC, you can see it through the bumper (not the radiator, lol).

why does it have an intercooler and an airbox? thought an intercooler was instead of a box.
The intercooler draws in air from the front into the one side of the inlet manifold and turbo is on the other?
next to the turbo, is a plastic intake pipe from front of car going to the airbox.

the dump valve is next to the airbox but im sure its the induction kit dumping.

p.s. how do i get a sig?

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by DarrenGSi]
Marc

24th May 06 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It has a side mounted intercooler as Sctheven says. The dump valve is a Bosch Recirculating valve and its plastic.

Don't confuse the radiator for an intercooler!
JadeM
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 17:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Your scoobys MAF has probably died a horrible death by now Kolin

Sold it 5 months ago to a mate round the corner & he's not had one bit of trouble with it & its pushed 100k now

Ive drove it a few times in the past months

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by JadeM]
Marc

24th May 06 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An intercooler is to provide cold dense air for the turbo. The airbox is part of the induction system which any car needs.
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenGSi
p.s. how do i get a sig?

Premium Services at the top of the page
JKGSI

25th May 06 at 07:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenGSi
the car is standard apart from the induction kit, does it come with a recirc standard? im sure it is a FMIC, you can see it through the bumper (not the radiator, lol).

why does it have an intercooler and an airbox? thought an intercooler was instead of a box.
The intercooler draws in air from the front into the one side of the inlet manifold and turbo is on the other?
next to the turbo, is a plastic intake pipe from front of car going to the airbox.

the dump valve is next to the airbox but im sure its the induction kit dumping.

p.s. how do i get a sig?

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by DarrenGSi]

You're a little confused there arent you.

The induction kit is connected to the turbo which is mounted on the exhaust manifold, in this case at the rear of the engine bay. The Turbo sucks in air and then blows it though the intercooler (standard is SMIC, passenger side of the front bumper) which cools the air. The air then passes into the engine through the inlet manifold.

The 1.8 20v Turbo engine has a Re-circulating dumpvalve which is mounted on the TIP (turbo intake pipe). If he has an open air filter you will be able to hear the sound of the dump valve re-circulating the air back into the intake pipe. Certain air filters have been known to cause MAF failures due to the oil used on the them. I run a BMC enclosed and have had no problems so far although I would go back to a standard airbox with cold air feed.

[Edited on 25-05-2006 by JKGSI]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » induction kits on turbo'd cars 23 database queries in 0.0107830 seconds