corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Network [Essay]

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Network [Essay]
Liam

User status: Offline
9th Jul 06 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At home i have a network, i connnect to my dads PC via an ethernet cable, now the problem is, sometimes when i try and connect i get the "limited or no connection" malarky, so to find the problem i try to sign on msn, almost everytime it comes up as "default gateway", i asume that my dads PC is the defualt gateway for my PC i think that the network card comes loose therefor making it so i cant connect, but today i have opened up the PC and mad e sure that it isnt loose, which it isnt, i have checked everthing else, but im still no closer to finding the problem, its not my computer, as i can connect straight to the modem and it will work with no problems so imo that rules out my computer and the cable, all the settings are correct as we can have it running fine, which it has been until today.........

Im losing paitents with it really if anyone could give me any idea what it is then that would be great, thanks

Dom

9th Jul 06 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

let me get this straight - broadband/net (via ?) -> dads pc -> yours (via ethernet)?

what software are you running for internet sharing? using windows?
is the connection stable on your dads pc?

Personally i would look at running different proxy software, something like CCProxy and then patching everything through that (need any help with this then u2u me)....otherwise have you setup your IPs fine, same subnet etc?

make sure that your connection between your computer and your dads is something similar to -

dads ip - 10.10.10.1
your ip - 10.10.10.2
dads subnect - 255.255.255.0
your subnect - 255.255.255.0
dads gateway - (dont enter anything)
your gateway - 10.10.10.1 (eg: dads ip addy)

also make sure dns boxes are filled with your ISP dns servers

saying that though, it seems that its loosing connection which is odd...do you share dictories or anything? when it says limited/no connection can you still ping your dads pc?
MikeD

9th Jul 06 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

connect to your dads with a single cable or does it go into a hub?
Dom

9th Jul 06 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MikeD
connect to your dads with a single cable or does it go into a hub?

connecting via a crossover or hub would be the same thing, surely? his dads pc would still need to run a proxy of some sorts....

personally, if you arnt using a router, i would just get a cheapy ethernet only jobby - ebuyer were selling them for 16 quid (could have been cheaper) would solve your troubles
MikeD

9th Jul 06 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes would be the same thing but a hub is an extra thing that could be causing the problem or even the cable or cables
Liam

10th Jul 06 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I connect using a crossover cable straight to a network card in the back of his PC, im going to open up both PC's later and check its plugged in properly, as my dumbass of a brother tends to yank on the cable pulling the card out dont ask me how he does it but last time that was the problem...

Cheers for all the info guys

New Poll