corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Setting Up A Forum - Please Help!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Setting Up A Forum - Please Help!!
Danny P

User status: Offline
3rd Sep 06 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How easy is it to set up a forum? Doesn't have to be anything technical, as I dont really have much knowledge when it comes to computers

Basically, I support Huddersfield Town (dont laugh) and there isn't really any Fans Forums on the internet, and the one on the official site is wa*k, so me and a few mates were thinking of setting one up.

Like I said doesnt have to be anything too technical, something simple, possibly a phpBB style one?? Is there any cost involved or anything like that??

As I said im the most gifted when it comes to computers, so if any of that above sounds stupid or obvious then apoligies, but any info would be appreciated.

Cheers
Danny

[Edited on 03-09-2006 by Danny P]
Robin
Premium Member

3rd Sep 06 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

phpBB is a piece of piss to use, its very simple to get a basic forum going using it.

obviously you'll have to buy a domain name and spend some cash on hosting, but most hosts give you free phpBB software to play with if you want it
Danny P

3rd Sep 06 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been having a look at - http://www.instantmessageboards.com/index.php

Doesn't seem too hard to work out, hopefully

What kinda price would you looking at to buy a web domain then?
Robin
Premium Member

3rd Sep 06 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they vary

what domain would you like?
Nath

3rd Sep 06 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couple of quid if you go to the right places.
Danny P

3rd Sep 06 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
they vary

what domain would you like?

Was thinking of www.terriertalk.co.uk (Hudders Nickname is The Terriers) or something of that nature
Robin
Premium Member

3rd Sep 06 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats taken

terriertalk.org.uk is available for £2.95 a year
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Sep 06 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny P
How easy is it to set up a forum? Doesn't have to be anything technical, as I dont really have much knowledge when it comes to computers

Basically, I support Huddersfield Town (dont laugh) and there isn't really any Fans Forums on the internet, and the one on the official site is wa*k, so me and a few mates were thinking of setting one up.

Like I said doesnt have to be anything too technical, something simple, possibly a phpBB style one?? Is there any cost involved or anything like that??

As I said im the most gifted when it comes to computers, so if any of that above sounds stupid or obvious then apoligies, but any info would be appreciated.

Cheers
Danny

FPMSL i never knew that you were pozza on there you sly bastardo
Robin
Premium Member

3rd Sep 06 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or huddersfieldterriers.co.uk
or terriersupporter.co.uk

go on http://www.ukreg.co.uk

thats where i bought smallblockxe.com from, cant remember what we did with the hosting :S
Danny P

3rd Sep 06 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:
Originally posted by Danny P

Cheers
Danny

FPMSL i never knew that you were pozza on there you sly bastardo

Rob - Cheers mate, will check it out
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Sep 06 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use http://www.myfreeforum.org very easy and simple to use and set up, they use phpBB software, and offer you the option to export your database (for a fee) if you want to host the forums yourself.
ed

4th Sep 06 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it right, don't use somone elses forum stuff. What happens when you need to update? How do your members details get put on the new system?

New Poll