corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Define a Performance car

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Define a Performance car
whitter45

User status: Offline
21st Sep 06 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A Perfromance car is built for one purpose - To be fast both in a straight line and around corners.

With this in mind the car must be built from scratch to do this purpose so any CTR, Astra GSI etc don't really fit the bill

Looking at Lous Elises, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo etc - all built for that reason not fast versions of family/standard cars
Steve
Premium Member

21st Sep 06 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what would happen if you explained that to a CTR driver? do you think his head would explode similar to Total Recall when they are exposed to mars atmosphere?
rustyarchs

21st Sep 06 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one that can do fast rolling starts when acceleration is needed most not just standing starts runs cos its lightweight,capable of at least a true 140mph and handles as well at that speed as it would on a track,has good brakes that is up to the job

Robin
Premium Member

21st Sep 06 at 16:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats the Caterham 7 Roadsport out of the equation then

and the R300.

and an R400 with a full tank

[Edited on 21-09-2006 by robmarriott]
Joe

21st Sep 06 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with Robin, Exige seems most likely. Most other high end sports cars have Aircon/leather etc which takes away some of its sporting ability. Aerial Atom maybe another one.
Robin
Premium Member

21st Sep 06 at 16:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

even the S1 Elise won't do 140mph.
rustyarchs

21st Sep 06 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it cant beat some of the 1.4 corsas on heres top speed then yes id think so
rustyarchs

21st Sep 06 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can show you plenty of fast performance cars than can do over 140mph if you cant find any
Marc

21st Sep 06 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
do you think his head would explode similar to Total Recall when they are exposed to mars atmosphere?

Thats exactly what would happen Stcheven.
Robin
Premium Member

21st Sep 06 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can find loads, i'm just trying to say its not all about top speed. an Elise/Exige/Caterham R300 is a performance car, but doesnt fit with your points.

and like i said earlier, M5 is a performance car, but isnt 100% purpose built.

its very difficult to define it, it all depends on what you see as performance, wether its top speed, or handling.
rustyarchs

21st Sep 06 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
even the S1 Elise won't do 140mph.

but an exige will
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

21st Sep 06 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends if its a performance car for the road or a performance car for th track.

My car is quick, shows up a lot of so called 'performance cars' that cost lots more money than a 11 year old corsa i.e CTR's and 172's etc... but driving it on the road is a pain, its slow over bumpy roads (which most are), if speedbumps are around its bad, its gutless under 3000rpm and needs to be revved hard to get the most out of it, driving in traffic is annoying.... so against a performace road car, I would happily drive the CRT or 172

But

On an open road or dual carriageway it really changes, is quick right through the revs, loves being revved high, handles amazingly well for a corsa, the brakes mean I can outbrake any other hothatch with no problems and I still havnt pushed it really hard on the road because I am too sensible.

then, put it on a track and it will be even better. so it depends what you want from the performance car, everyday round town use or an A road/ track animal.
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

21st Sep 06 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and my definition of a performance car is a mitsubishi Evo. does all of the scenarios amazingy well, not ridiculously expensive and has room in the back for a kiddies seat
rustyarchs

21st Sep 06 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
i can find loads, i'm just trying to say its not all about top speed. an Elise/Exige/Caterham R300 is a performance car, but doesnt fit with your points.

and like i said earlier, M5 is a performance car, but isnt 100% purpose built.

its very difficult to define it, it all depends on what you see as performance, wether its top speed, or handling.

to me a performance car should be a master of all trades not just a track day toy that has a limited top speed that most rep cars can beat

by the way i came to this conclusion years ago whilst watching the gumball and noticed that big cars that had a mix of everything done the best and it is only my opinion
Marc

21st Sep 06 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The new Focus ST and Golf GTi are performance cars yet orignally started out as family hatchbacks, just like the Evo and Impreza are based on family saloons.
Robin
Premium Member

21st Sep 06 at 17:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both performance cars, just by a different definition.

[Edited on 21-09-2006 by robmarriott]
rustyarchs

21st Sep 06 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dunno bout the red x but the bentley def has the trimmings
Robin
Premium Member

21st Sep 06 at 17:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pic sorted now
rustyarchs

21st Sep 06 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh gottcha

prob with the lower spec elise/caterham to me is its limited top speed stick it on any track with big straights and any advantage it had with its handeling is eaten back up,, if i remember correctly didnt the mg zt beat the elise round the top gear track

i get what your saying and they are good cars
JadeM
Premium Member

21st Sep 06 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is a performance car??? Simple....one that performs!
mav

21st Sep 06 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is mine, i think it's a performance saloon

0-60 in 6.7 secs, 200bhp standard quarter in 15 secs i think...140+ top speed
SVM 286

23rd Sep 06 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
just got me thinking, what makes a performance car?

A car that can out handle, out accelerate and out brake conventional run-of-the-mill transportation type cars.

A reasonable secondary consideration would be that it should be capable of a relatively high top speed.
SVM 286

23rd Sep 06 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by rustyarchs

by the way i came to this conclusion years ago whilst watching the gumball and noticed that big cars that had a mix of everything done the best and it is only my opinion

My thoughts precisely Mr Archs.

I would far rather enter an endurance event like that one in a Brabus EV12 for example, in preference to a Diablo or a Caterham or similar.
3CorsaMeal

23rd Sep 06 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by rustyarchs
one that can do fast rolling starts when acceleration is needed most not just standing starts runs cos its lightweight,capable of at least a true 140mph and handles as well at that speed as it would on a track,has good brakes that is up to the job

3CorsaMeal

23rd Sep 06 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mav
Is mine, i think it's a performance saloon

0-60 in 6.7 secs, 200bhp standard quarter in 15 secs i think...140+ top speed

yes thats the other thing, they stick the "performance" in front of things now

performance saloon
performance coupe
performance hatch

i think things like elises, exige, caterham, are real performance cars as they sacrifice alot of luxury for speed and handling

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Define a Performance car 23 database queries in 0.0114632 seconds