corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Thinking of a possible engine change (advice needed)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Thinking of a possible engine change (advice needed)
Chris C

User status: Offline
16th Nov 06 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had my corsa off the road and sitting in the garage for bout a month now while i can save up to make her go faster .
But the problem is i don't really know where to start....
I would really like a LET, always wanted a turbo but then i saw the feature in total vauxhall of the orange nova with the R1 bike carbs.

What does people think would be the best tuning option on the XE or would it be better to just go for the LET
Any help would be appreciated

Chris
Ludacris Turbo

16th Nov 06 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its all down to money at the end of the day. A LET will cost more than an XE to buy. But you can get alot more BHP out of a LET.
AK

16th Nov 06 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bike carbs seem to be a fashion item just now

have a drive in both.... there must be plenty around. (c20xe on carbs on mild TB setup will be similar)
Cupra Steve
Banned

16th Nov 06 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends how much money you have and money you have to spend on maintenance. I personally would go let, but an xe on tb's would be tempting, i did look at a 2.1 on tb's, but i brought a let.
Nic Barnes

16th Nov 06 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on your budget simply and what you want it for.

if you have the xe already, throttle boddies, mangement cams an head work will see you with more bhp than a turbo, and more useable power aswell
Chris C

16th Nov 06 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i've already got a XE, love tb's and carbs they sound excellent! Mayb thats the way forward then!
Cupra Steve
Banned

16th Nov 06 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will be alot more useable, depends wot you want. I got killed in my cupra by a nova 16v on tb's and a corsa in that purple colour that was the same spec as the nova, aparently they both run mids 13's!!!!
Nic Barnes

16th Nov 06 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it all comes down to what you want from the car.

i wanted a lot of bhp so i went for a turbo. after doing so, id prefer to have an engine that i could atleast use the power it had without fearing death every 2 seconds.

if i was to start again. tb'd xe small amount of gas
Cupra Steve
Banned

16th Nov 06 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See i like the feeling of a turbo, the noise and the fact it has big bhp, but a tb'd xe wuld still be scary especially on gas!!!!!
Nic Barnes

16th Nov 06 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at the end of the day, bhp isnt everything.

its all about how a car feels and drives. big bhp can be good for a perfectly flat bit of road that is perfectly straight. a slight bump in the road and id light the tyres up in 6th even past 140mph, so theres no point to that

a good, well balanced car, with a decent powered engine, good handling and braking will always be better than a car with masses of bhp. there was as video of a lotus elise chasing a veyron round the track. elise was miles miles faster on the bends, slowe on straights, but in an everyday driving situation, there arent many perfectly flat and straight roads.

balance is the key (in my opinion)
Cupra Steve
Banned

16th Nov 06 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Words of experience!!! I've never driven either tbh but i did have a go in a 360bhp cossie, and it was quite mad, but you have to try these things!!!!!
SwN

16th Nov 06 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by muppetsport
balance is the key (in my opinion)

Amen brother!

[Edited on 16-11-2006 by S.Nelson]
Chris C

16th Nov 06 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't want it for massive power really just usable power, that will make better more expensive cars look silly lol
Think i'm going to go for the LET, i thought with throttle bodies that you really had to drive the car hard ( i.e broster corsa rev's round to something silly )
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

16th Nov 06 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by muppetsport
depends on your budget simply and what you want it for.

if you have the xe already, throttle boddies, mangement cams an head work will see you with more bhp than a turbo, and more useable power aswell

yes. thats what I would have typed.
Graeme
Premium Member

16th Nov 06 at 18:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the bike carbs also use a lot of fuel but it does really throw u back in ur seat and feels really aggressive but the power really kicks in at about 4500rpm
Twiggy

16th Nov 06 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LET LET LET
Nic Barnes

17th Nov 06 at 01:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris C
Don't want it for massive power really just usable power, that will make better more expensive cars look silly lol
Think i'm going to go for the LET, i thought with throttle bodies that you really had to drive the car hard ( i.e broster corsa rev's round to something silly )

its not about that at all. you will still have to drive a turbo hard to make it go. it will also violentyl start to pull the car to pieces. not saying you wont, but you will have to have the conversion 100% spot on if you want it to last for any length of time.

another thing is you cant rag the crap out of it all day like you could an xe. let's run quite warm as there isnt really a good enough space in the corsa bay, regardless what people might tell you. also the chances of you having a problem could leave you with a lump of useless melted metal and an expensive repair bill. not like ive had the experience
Cupra Steve
Banned

17th Nov 06 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True, But i know where he is coming from, i like the low down touqe of a turbo, my mates DC2 is just as fast as my car but i couldn't drive it fast as revving it round to 9500rpm seems harmful, either way it's your choice, IMO i'd go LET, but for ferrari performance n just for the fact you can say it's NA i'd go xe on tbs. I got so embarrased when this nova on tb's killed me!!!! Later he stopped and said wot it was and how quick it is, sounded fit and tbh pulled on me low down in the rev range and mine is a bloody turbo!!!!!!!!!!!
Nic Barnes

17th Nov 06 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thing is with a turbo, most people dont understanf that when you hit peak boost on an let at about 3800 4000, it starts to drop off about 5600. so thats 1600rpm of full boost then boost and power is dropping off.

a good tuned xe will just have power for the whole rev range
TomSBD

17th Nov 06 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i currenlty have an xe with TB's now i like it alot very smooth power delivery but you do have to thrash the crap out out it to go anywhere. now i drove my mate let corsa the ofter day and its total different power comes in all at 3.5k ish and gradually drops off nice car to drive and very fun to try and keep traction.
if you are doing track days ect get TB's if not get let, they are so much more fun, hence why ive now sold my engine and getting a let. lol
Cupra Steve
Banned

17th Nov 06 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TomSBD
i currenlty have an xe with TB's now i like it alot very smooth power delivery but you do have to thrash the crap out out it to go anywhere. now i drove my mate let corsa the ofter day and its total different power comes in all at 3.5k ish and gradually drops off nice car to drive and very fun to try and keep traction.
if you are doing track days ect get TB's if not get let, they are so much more fun, hence why ive now sold my engine and getting a let. lol

This is my veiw to, for everyday i think turbo is better than tb's.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Thinking of a possible engine change (advice needed) 23 database queries in 0.0119741 seconds