corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » having pay as you go insurance

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author having pay as you go insurance
SetH

User status: Offline
27th Nov 06 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After much researching decided that i could save a few hundred quid each year if i change the impreza insurance to pay as you drive.

Seeing as she only comes out at weekends and does not do a lot of miles didnt see the point of paying a huge premium to have her sitting on the drive for 300 days a year.

It worked at at deposit of £150, then i pay £24 a month if she just sits on the drive. Any mileage is charged by road type, 30/40 most expensive per mile up to motoryways being the cheapest.

peak time is midnight to 5am and 7-9am, this is where regardless what road you are on the charges go up.

RAC should be fitting the black GPS box in my car today, thus any silly high speeds will be logged
City

27th Nov 06 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate had it three days they took it off him after he went over 100mph a 'few' times
Danny H

27th Nov 06 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id hate to have one of those black boxes in my car.

Especially if it was an Impreza!
johnhara1

27th Nov 06 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the point in having an impreza if you cant boot it every now and then.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

27th Nov 06 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah wtf Seth!
mwg

27th Nov 06 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sod that. Would rather pay the extra to have a normal premium.
Dione J

27th Nov 06 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Weekends or not that idea just does not make anysense whatsoever.
nik

27th Nov 06 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd hate that
SetH

27th Nov 06 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FPMSL, only on CS would you get uniformed replies like this, have any of you actually looked into it?

http://www.norwichunion.com/pay-as-you-drive/

I use my lupo for running around, commuting etc and pay a normal premium.

My impreza is my toy and is used purely for leisure driving at weekends, It will be going on track next year when its finished. why pay a full premium on a group 20 car when it does about 3000 miles a year?

first off if you are doing over 100mph on public roads then your a cock end off.

I dont usually venture over 80 as i have a STi type r gearbox with mega short gearing so at 80mph im doing over 5krpm in 5th.

regarding the data logged by the box, the insurance company cant turn around and say you did over 100mph we are cancelling your insurance. However if you are involved in a major accident the police can request this data as part of the investigation. If you are doing silly speeds and you cause an accident then you deserve to have the book thrown at you anyway.

for the record my normal premium is circa £1200.

with base rate and projected mileage im looking at about £700 a year. And like i said if she doesnt go out for a month ie dec/jan then its only costing me £25 a month to have it insured.

d_jay50, wether you think it makes no sense whatsoever more and more insurers and planning to do it in the near future. Car tax will be the same as well eventually, in fact id put money on that.
mwg

27th Nov 06 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it not just as cheap to go with a limited mileage policy? They can be quite alot cheaper than a normal policy.
SetH

27th Nov 06 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, not a lot cheaper to be honest. I work for NU and have friends that work for NUD dealing with insurance. Its a big myth that a 5000 mile a year policy will be a lot less than a 12000 mile a year policy, the difference is premium is a lot less then you would expect.

Why is Norwich Union offering this product?

Research commissioned by Norwich Union in January 2002 revealed that nine in ten people would prefer their motor insurance to reflect the usage of their car and the type of journeys they make - with the majority favouring pay as you go systems.

Take a look for yourself before you pass judgement without any plausible arguement.

Pay as you drive will not suit EVERYONE, but the situation im in, i am making a huge saving. drivers under 23 can benefit as well.

http://www.norwichunion.com/pay-as-you-drive/frequently-asked-questions.htm
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

27th Nov 06 at 11:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well put seth, I look forward from hearing back from you once you have experienced their service
SetH

27th Nov 06 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im getting the installation for free as im NU staff, as well as discount on the premium

You get itemised billing for your journeys so you can see which routes/journeys are costing you more.

go on the site, takes 5 mins to do an illustration, might surprise some of you.
topshot_2k
Banned

27th Nov 06 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it monitors speed etc. i dont fancy crashing at 75mph then the insurcane using it in court so they dont have to pay
SetH

27th Nov 06 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you ellaborate on that point topshot_2k? you havent really substantiated that statement with anything.

I have an tracker in my car, this is a GPS device hence could be used to monitor position, speed, direction etc, are they going to use this agaisnt me as well?

I dont fancy crashing at 75mph end of, chances are you wont be in any fit state to even make it to court after a crash at that speed.
SetH

27th Nov 06 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hold on, just had a thought.

basically what you are saying is, if you travel over 70mph then you are not insured?

so how come convential policies dont have a bit in the small print saying "if you travel over the speed limit your insurance is void"?

Why would it change now?

If you are thinking its because they have the speed readings from the GPS device the imagine the technicalities involved in accurately logging speed at time of impact let alone following the correct legal channels to present the case in court?

So effectively the estimated speed attained by investigators/police at the scene would then become void? thus they would rely on the GPS, so what about all the people without a GPS device? Wouldnt work really would it? you cant penalise the people who have the GPS device and put them in a different group to those without it in a court of law?

Heres some info on data protection :

http://www.norwichunion.com/library/pdfs/payd-data-protection.pdf
Danny H

27th Nov 06 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£1 a mile after 11pm . . . fcuk that

Wouldn't work for me on my car, but suppose its a good idea if you have another car as a runaround.
Jules S
Premium Member

27th Nov 06 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
hold on, just had a thought.

basically what you are saying is, if you travel over 70mph then you are not insured?

so how come convential policies dont have a bit in the small print saying "if you travel over the speed limit your insurance is void"?

Why would it change now?

If you are thinking its because they have the speed readings from the GPS device the imagine the technicalities involved in accurately logging speed at time of impact let alone following the correct legal channels to present the case in court?

So effectively the estimated speed attained by investigators/police at the scene would then become void? thus they would rely on the GPS, so what about all the people without a GPS device? Wouldnt work really would it? you cant penalise the people who have the GPS device and put them in a different group to those without it in a court of law?

Heres some info on data protection :

http://www.norwichunion.com/library/pdfs/payd-data-protection.pdf

Dont these systems automatically download all the previous 30 seconds data when an accident has occured?

Hope you decide to change that g'box before you get on track
Tom

27th Nov 06 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a good idea but it's benefits are limited to certain types of people.

I'd go with more than anyway, you'd get much better service
Colin

27th Nov 06 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a quote & they wanted £800 more than I paid last year & that was before installation!!!
ed

27th Nov 06 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isn't your car modified. You can't have it fitted to modified cars.
Colin

27th Nov 06 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im reading the terms & conditions now!!!

Just read if you change your car they charge you a £95 for de-installation of the Telematic Device from your vehicle.
SetH

27th Nov 06 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Isn't your car modified. You can't have it fitted to modified cars.

well the RAC engineer is here, just checked the car over and hes happy to install

try and find a classic WRX that isnt modified, anywhere? i know for a fact that most of the engineers dont have a clue what they are looking at when they inspect cars like these in relations to claims etc.
All Torque

27th Nov 06 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Im reading the terms & conditions now!!!

Just read if you change your car they charge you a £95 for de-installation of the Telematic Device from your vehicle.

Fuck that

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » having pay as you go insurance 23 database queries in 0.0105531 seconds