corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Making/Maintaining a Wiki...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Making/Maintaining a Wiki...
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
20th Dec 06 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone have any experience of this?

I designed and maintain the IT resource webpage at work, which basically allows me to upload documentation/instructions for certain duties, and also contains a list of all our clients, with what services they take - and where our services get delivered to etc.

A new IT business manager has just started, and is really big on these wiki things - my boss suggested to him that we turn our IT resource site into a wiki.

Over the past couple of days, I've been given a wiki package, some space on a server - and thats about it.

From what i've seen of wikis - you are able to post up an article, add discussion notes to it, and basically anyone can edit this shit.

Ideally what I want is for me, and me only to add an article - say an article containing:

Client name,
Services taken,
Delivery Details,
and Contact Details

I dont want anyone else to be able to edit this, however I want people to be able to add discussion points containing any updates, or little tips/notes that they have picked up whilst working with that particular client.

I have NO experience with these things, but im sure they have alot of potential for what i'm trying to achieve.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions?

ta

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
20th Dec 06 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can lock bits.

I wouldn't use a wiki for that type of data though - its for hypertext and reference material, not client data.

[Edited on 20-12-2006 by Ian]
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Dec 06 at 18:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
You can lock bits.

I wouldn't use a wiki for that type of data though - its for hypertext and reference material, not client data.

[Edited on 20-12-2006 by Ian]

Indeed, I've just about got the basics now of users, user rights, admins and all that bollocks.

This won't be a webpage available online - just accessable over our local intranet. All client data is currently stored in seperate word docs, then hyperlinked to from the current resource site.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Dec 06 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any reason why you're not using a database for your data?

Word docs seems a strange choice. Do you not need to query stuff and search?
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Dec 06 at 18:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Do you not need to query stuff and search?

Thats exactly what we need - however this company, and the way it works is a mess. Our commercial guys will sell a potential client anything, whether we actually provide it or not. There is no company standard for anything - and unless alot of bosses get sacked in the near future, it will never change.

As far as theyre concerned - its not broke, so dont fix it, however from a tech support and customer service perspective. Its a disaster.

Im just trying to present the data we have in the best possible way, to make our job easier

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

21st Dec 06 at 07:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Any reason why you're not using a database for your data?

Word docs seems a strange choice. Do you not need to query stuff and search?

Not being funny.... databases arent the easiest thing in the world. Unless you know what you are doing then you are basically pissing in the wind.

I know for my documentation for our clients we just use a file structure, each client has their directory with the following sub dirs:

Diagrams
Configs (these are normally at the time of the implementation as we have a system that logs into our devices are takes snapshots of our configs and puts it into CVS every hour)
Audit

Then have random text files in the root of the clients directory showing stuff like vpn logins, login details (excel sheet) and whatever shit we need.

I think the Wiki idea is excellent Kyle, are you using MediaWiki? Really like to know how you get on as I think imlpmenting something like this for our company would be excellent (we are only a 4 man group currently)
willay
Premium Member

21st Dec 06 at 07:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Thats exactly what we need - however this company, and the way it works is a mess. Our commercial guys will sell a potential client anything, whether we actually provide it or not. There is no company standard for anything - and unless alot of bosses get sacked in the near future, it will never change.

Oh mate I feel for you, I work directly (in the same office) as a company that does the same fucking thing and it makes me feel sick! Sales cunts will sell anything.
Cybermonkey

21st Dec 06 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if anything, use MediaWiki and something like Apache to control the backend database. Its quite powerful in the way you can protect pages from being public. Im controlling a Wiki at work using WAMP5 too.
Rob_Quads

21st Dec 06 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have lots of Word docs you want to search could you not use Google Desktop or thier Enterprise version. Quite a few of the devlopers at work use it and have found it to be fairly useful.
willay
Premium Member

21st Dec 06 at 08:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey
if anything, use MediaWiki and something like Apache to control the backend database. Its quite powerful in the way you can protect pages from being public. Im controlling a Wiki at work using WAMP5 too.

wamp5?
Cybermonkey

21st Dec 06 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WAMP5 controls Apache, PHP5 and MySQL, all from a cool little control bar. Monitors services and keeps all the important files in order.
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd Dec 06 at 13:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, the unix bods have set me up with mediawiki/apache on one of our boxes - for me to start playing with.

The only thing they didnt do was set me up an admin account, so I can't play around with it untill they get back after christmas

I've actually dug out my college notes on databases etc, and a simple relational database, with a table for clients, and a table for services might be a good idea - certainly one for a future project.

I still want a wiki building, we have so much documentation and instruction on various things - and a wiki would be an ideal way to collate it all and make it accessible for all of IT staff.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Cybermonkey

23rd Dec 06 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

heres a cool tip, download http://ant.apache.org/

use the following script;

update user set
user_password=md5(concat(user_id,'-',md5('newpassword'))) where
user_name='wikiadmin';
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Dec 06 at 16:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Databases of clients should be easy enough. Leave the rest in docs scattered about the place, but a single table list of people shouldn't be difficult.
Jamie Walby

23rd Dec 06 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats a Wiki?
Robbo

23rd Dec 06 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As in Wiki-pedia

Anyone can amend wikipedia
Robbo

23rd Dec 06 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From aforementioned site:

A wiki (IPA: [&#712;w&#618;.ki¢°] <WICK-ee> or [&#712;wi¢°.ki¢°] <WEE-kee>[1]) is a type of Web site that allows the visitors themselves to easily add, remove, and otherwise edit and change some available content, sometimes without the need for registration. This ease of interaction and operation makes a wiki an effective tool for collaborative authoring. The term wiki also can refer to the collaborative software itself (wiki engine) that facilitates the operation of such a Web site, or to certain specific wiki sites, including the computer science site (the original wiki) WikiWikiWeb and on-line encyclopedias such as Wikipedia.
Jamie Walby

23rd Dec 06 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
As in Wiki-pedia

Anyone can amend wikipedia

Thats the Encyclopedia site is it not?
Jamie Walby

23rd Dec 06 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
From aforementioned site:

A wiki (IPA: [&#712;w&#618;.ki¢°] <WICK-ee> or [&#712;wi¢°.ki¢°] <WEE-kee>[1]) is a type of Web site that allows the visitors themselves to easily add, remove, and otherwise edit and change some available content, sometimes without the need for registration. This ease of interaction and operation makes a wiki an effective tool for collaborative authoring. The term wiki also can refer to the collaborative software itself (wiki engine) that facilitates the operation of such a Web site, or to certain specific wiki sites, including the computer science site (the original wiki) WikiWikiWeb and on-line encyclopedias such as Wikipedia.

So on wikipedia, if i saw content and knew of further info to add, I could do so.

Thats a pretty neat idea TBH.
Robbo

23rd Dec 06 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yip, BUT surely open to abuse unless someone monitors it so I dont get how wikipedia is free :S
ed

23rd Dec 06 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hence the phrase Wiki-vandalism. There are tighter meaures on the site now before submitted info is accepted now to prevent that from happening.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Dec 06 at 04:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The theory is that there is more good than evil and entries which are abused are fixed as quick.

You can also lock if it gets too bad.
Robbo

24th Dec 06 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which must mean a large admin force so how is it free, no discenrable advertising (yet)
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Dec 06 at 15:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're not admin. Its just visitors. Some have staff positions for locking stuff and admin type things but they're not salaried.

They can also revert changes to go back to old versions so they don't need to type everything back in again.

Its just a very large number of commited people.

New Poll