corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa B - when did the 1.2 16v come out etc.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa B - when did the 1.2 16v come out etc.
Phil

User status: Offline
12th Mar 07 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking to buy a Corsa B for my wife as I have a company car on the way that will replace our Octavia (see the classifieds )

Previously I've owned a 1.2 8v LS on an L plate, a 1.4 8v GLS also on an L and a 1.4 16v Sport on a R plate.

So its fair to say I'm familiar with the Corsa (I was an active member here nearly 8 years ago)

However, over the years of not owning one I've forgotten the following:

When did the 1.2 16v unit replace the 1.2 8v unit?

Which is considered to be the better engine - the 1.4 8v or the 1.2 16v?

I've driven a 1.0 Agila and found it hopelessly slow - the 1.0 in the corsa is no cheaper to insure than a 1.4 for me so whats the point of it?

I'm looking at a CDX or GLS 5dr for around £1300 MAX. Other than a cambelt change at about 70k, are there any other things I need to look for in particular on a car with 60k+ miles?

I remember my 1.4 blew its head gasket at 25k miles (covered by Network Q warranty though) - is this common?
pow
Premium Member

12th Mar 07 at 17:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 16v engines replaced the 8v's in 97 - P reg (you can get 8v P regs and 16v P regs!)

For that money wouldnt it be better looking for a sport? All the toys? 1.4 16v engine?
Mark330d

12th Mar 07 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.2 16valve engines were not the best, alot of stupid problems with sensors etc.

1.4 8valve is the better engine in my opinion.
All Torque

12th Mar 07 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had an 8v p reg

was shite.
deano87

12th Mar 07 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

12v isn't so bad mine has cover 66k miles (I've had it since 59k) and it hasn't put a foot wrong, nothing wrong with the engine, touch wood, so, you just have to be lucky.

I heard that 1.2 16v's also are strange with sensors and fuel economy isn't that great. Neither is it on the 12v if you do a lot of motorway miles.

All that info was probably useless but never mind.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

12th Mar 07 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've got the username I wanted

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
mattk

12th Mar 07 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the 12vs are marginaly worse than the 1.2 8v`s imo, the only plus point to the 1.2 8v is solid reliability
deano87

12th Mar 07 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
the 12vs are marginaly worse than the 1.2 8v`s imo, the only plus point to the 1.2 8v is solid reliability

But the 12v is quicker on paper

Simon_16v

12th Mar 07 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still more reliable
pow
Premium Member

12th Mar 07 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
12v isn't so bad mine has cover 66k miles (I've had it since 59k) and it hasn't put a foot wrong, nothing wrong with the engine, touch wood, so, you just have to be lucky.

I heard that 1.2 16v's also are strange with sensors and fuel economy isn't that great. Neither is it on the 12v if you do a lot of motorway miles.

All that info was probably useless but never mind.

Ive done 15k in my 16v and not put a foot wrong... just normal stuff that needs changing!

And my fuel economy isn't that bad
I can squeeze 450miles out of a tank before?
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

12th Mar 07 at 19:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 1.2 16v only come out later on than the others. It was S reg that they changed.
Phil

12th Mar 07 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sadly a Sport is out of the question, as in an SXi - My wife needs to have a 5door.

Interesting to read about the 1.2 16v sensor problems etc. Reliability would be a factor for us and I've had the 1.2 8v engine in 2 Novas and a Corsa previously. I assume the 1.4 8v is the same engine with a larger capacity - and hence good reliability?
Joe

12th Mar 07 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are'nt as bad as people make out, I had a 1.2 16v for about 3 years. It had a Mass Air Flow sensor and an EGR valve. Over 50,000 miles thats not bad going.
Phil

12th Mar 07 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
You've got the username I wanted

First come, first served I was here 6+ years ago

[Edited on 12-03-2007 by Phil]
pow
Premium Member

12th Mar 07 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by joe6886
They are'nt as bad as people make out, I had a 1.2 16v for about 3 years. It had a Mass Air Flow sensor and an EGR valve. Over 50,000 miles thats not bad going.

Like i say, i can back that
Phil

12th Mar 07 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you get a lead to connect the car to a laptop to read fault codes? (like you can with VAG cars)
Mark330d

12th Mar 07 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not on the sxi's or the 1.0's as far as i am aware but on the other the paperclip test works
pow
Premium Member

12th Mar 07 at 20:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The paperclip test does not work on the newer cars at all. But you can buy ODBII readers...
Phil

12th Mar 07 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is the paperclip test?

VAG-COM (the VW diagnostic tool) will read fault codes from OBDII vehicles. So I guess I may even be able to use that to run diagnostics on a leter car.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa B - when did the 1.2 16v come out etc. 24 database queries in 0.0129778 seconds