corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » where do i stand legally?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author where do i stand legally?
kz

User status: Offline
21st Mar 07 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a problem with my car, it keeps cutting out.

a trip to the garage saw me £53 lighter but working okay (oil drain and refill and done something with the tappets)

few days later, cutting out again. take it back to garage... this time £80 (was explanned to my mum not me, but something about oil temperature!?) anyway was told this should sort the problem

picked up car tonight after the garage was shut and car died instantly. so that did absolutely nothing. so i have now paid £133 and got absolutely no where!? pissed off do i just have to keep paying whilst he tries out different methods? i havent actually paid the £80 yet ive gotta go up tomorrow morning and pay for it. seems like im getting ripped off imo. thing is my whole family has used this garage for years, and theyve been very fair in the past. dunno what to do really?
JM_16v

21st Mar 07 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

process of elimination always happens with cars
Simon_16v

21st Mar 07 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well dont pay them in the monring, i'd go in and explain that the work they have carried out has not solved your problem and you wont be doing so until they do.

Simple as.
nickyboy01

22nd Mar 07 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You dont stand anywhere leagally basicly, unless they could actually find the problem and didnt fix it then maybe but unless they actually diagnosed the problem and didnt fix it then you cant do much, as JM said if they cant diagnose it they will try numerous things to try and fix it.
abdus

22nd Mar 07 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did they tell what the problem was before any work?

do you have any receipt?
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

22nd Mar 07 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personally I would go back and ask them how they think an oil change would solve a cutting out issue.

did you get a reciept with a description of what they have actually done, hours of labour worked and parts replaced?
kz

22nd Mar 07 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah for the first one. still havent paid for the second bit of work yet...

today after the recommendations of my 206 forum he just changed the battery over and it seems fine so far!

so nearly £200 and it might have just needed a fresh battery
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Mar 07 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there must be something to stop this, im sure you shouldnt have to pay for a job that didnt actually cure a problem, otherwise we'd get garages chenging engines etc when all it needed was a new air filter. Or garages making up stuff to get money using the excuse "process of elimination"

if i paid an plumber to come and fix my boiler and after he left and had been paid for fixing it it still was broke do you think you'd still pay him, or ask for a refund?
SportBoy

22nd Mar 07 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
if i paid an plumber to come and fix my boiler and after he left and had been paid for fixing it it still was broke do you think you'd still pay him, or ask for a refund?

i think you would tell him all the advantages of owning a 106gti
Dave A

22nd Mar 07 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SportyBoy
quote:
Originally posted by Steve

i think you would tell him all the advantages of owning a 106gti

I would ask how an oil change came to over £50 and how they thought that could possibly have solved the problem. I would also like to see a detailed reciept for the other £80!
ainsley_brader

22nd Mar 07 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the full circumstances and exactly what was done.

Nobody can comment on the very small amount of information you have given.

I have a saab in the workshop atm with a front suspension knock.
I can't find anything but the customer wants it sorting.
One thing I did notice is that one wishbone bush is pulling away from the metal. Now I dont think this is the cause of the noise but as it is soon going to need doing anyway I am starting with it and changing it tomorrow.

If this doesnt cure the noise should the chap not have to pay for it?
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Mar 07 at 21:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no you should inform him what your doing first

id be pissed if i dropped my car off to have say an exhaust changed and they said we've done your exhaust, whilst we were at it we replaced a worn suspension bush heres a £200 bill

[Edited on 22-03-2007 by Steve]
ainsley_brader

22nd Mar 07 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have informed him, I always do. My point was its not always cut and dry? If the other £130 of work was work that needed doing anyway then is it such a big deal.

This bush will need changing in the next 12 months so does it matter if he pays for it now or in june?
Dave A

22nd Mar 07 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ainsley is spot on with his example, but:

the lad took a car in because it was cutting out, so they changed the oil. the problem and the cure are not connected.

your example was a knock on front suspension, so you replaced a worn bush. its connected and is a feasible cure to the problem.
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Mar 07 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but ainsley knows thats not the cause of the problem but will change it and charge him anyway.

Hes said hes told him thats what hes doing, so thats ok, but if he didnt tell him that would be wrong IMO

[Edited on 22-03-2007 by Steve]
Dave A

22nd Mar 07 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree steve. personally I would take the car back, stick it in front of his door and undo the sump plug and piss oil all over his floor
ainsley_brader

22nd Mar 07 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No i haven't said that its not the cause of the problem I said i don't think it is.

I would look a right tool if i left it til last wouldn't I?

I was trying to get across that its not always straightforward and I would speak to the garage before talking about legalities.

Let the garage know you are unhappy. There is nothing worse than a customer that goes away unhappy not knowing all the facts and tells everyone else except you!

But i'm with dave i fail to see how changing the oil and filter was going to make any difference to the cutting out. Unless the chap suspected sticking tappets or something but even then its a long shot.

On a different note does the car not have any fault codes. Knowing peugeot probably not though!
Rachel H

22nd Mar 07 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry but I trust no garage, they are all out to make a fast buck out of you.
kz

22nd Mar 07 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well. thanks for the examples given, they make sence! now the oil and tappet correction, that was needed anyway i guess, as they were getting very noisey! and this has stopped that (i was originally told the noise was from the manifold but still) so im happy to pay that... as for the £80 one i will find out a proper description of the problem and post here, even though i would have probably paid it by that time
ainsley_brader

22nd Mar 07 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rachel H

bollox
shane_o

22nd Mar 07 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ainsley_brader
quote:
Originally posted by Rachel H

bollox

got to agree with ainsley, i work for a vaux main dealer and prices are dear but cars always fixed, so wheres the problem?

[Edited on 22-03-2007 by shane_o]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » where do i stand legally? 23 database queries in 0.0141890 seconds