corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » stange rattle noise?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author stange rattle noise?
crispy

User status: Offline
26th Apr 07 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi all, firstly car is a 98 1.6 sport. when you plant your foot fully down, we are getting a strange rattle coming from front drivers side area. rattle is a regular sound and seems like metal knocking on metal. its quite fast as well. doesnt really sound like its coming from within the engine, as you would expect that to sound a bit distant. any ideas?
Ricky352

26th Apr 07 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably a completly different thing but my belt that turns in the engine (sory, not down on the lingoe) was making that sort of a noise yesterday.
crispy

26th Apr 07 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its just had new cambelt and new fan belt tensioners, so dont think it can be these. it seems to happen when the car is under load. ie at ful accelaration or when putting foot down hard from low revs.
Joe

26th Apr 07 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was the water pump done with the Cambelt? Sounds likely to be that.
crispy

26th Apr 07 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, was the only bit we didnt replace. what on the pump would cause this rattle? cheers, chris. is it a cambelt off job?
Kellye

27th Apr 07 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by joe6886
Was the water pump done with the Cambelt? Sounds likely to be that.

Yeh mines got to have this done and the way you described it crispy sounds the same as mine
crispy

4th Jul 07 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, we still have this problem only it seems to be getting more regular. we had it in the garage and they are almost certain its not water pump, as the noise appears to come from close to the drivers side wing area, sort of behind the dash???? its getting really annoying now. does anyone else knw of a similar problem? we have also noted that if you lift off slightly, the noise stops, but put foot down again and its back. also seems to satop at different revs, depending on what load the car is under? cheers, chris.
Fro

4th Jul 07 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you got a flexi pipe on there mate? Does it only do it when you have the pedal to the floor and is more noticable at low revs?
crispy

4th Jul 07 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, thats almost exactly it! when accelerating hard from low revs ie under full load the noise is at its worst, dies off as the revs rise. by flexi pipe, do you mean on the exhaust, ? cheers, chris.
Fro

4th Jul 07 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah something like this in your exhaust system usually no further back than the middle.

If so how long has it been on for? As i had one in mine and it was doing the same noises you are describing, they went away when i got a replacement
crispy

4th Jul 07 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill take a look tomorrow, but exhaust hasnt been changed for a good while. the only component changed was the cat. what part of this causes the ratttle i wonder maybe its broken apart inside?
Fro

5th Jul 07 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was told that there is a pipe inside and something had worn so it was rattling about under load especially from low revs, if you have a standard exhaust though you shouldn't have one, they are only used when the spring join has been removed/isn't there.

New Poll