corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Sam Allardyce has resigned!!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sam Allardyce has resigned!!
nik

User status: Offline
29th Apr 07 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't think Man City is a silly move IMO - Much bigger ground/fan base, bigger catchment area = more money and potential for Champions league football. Bolton is a small town club who are punching above their weight.
Marc

29th Apr 07 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you really see Man City playing CL football?!!! They're hardly consistant performers are they!
nik

29th Apr 07 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No but have they had a good manager over the years? Do you think Bolton, Everton etc are good enough to challenge for CL football?

Your only dissing City because your a Red
Marc

29th Apr 07 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think at one point this season Bolton could have challenged for CL yeah, but only because Arsenal were missing vital players. They're certainly good enough for UEFA Cup football and that will generate a lot of money for them for future success. City at the moment aren't even challenging for UEFA.
nik

29th Apr 07 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But how good were Bolton when he took over? A yo-yo club at best, more like a play off Championship side. Man City pulled in over 30k in League 1, much bigger potential than Bolton and IMO aside from the big 4 and maybe Spurs, Newcastle, are one of the biggest clubs about. Already have the stadium, some investment in the side could see City challenging at the business end I think. Just need some carefull guidence. Bolton as I said are punching above their weight, no club can sustain top 5/6 with 20,000 crowds and a ground not much bigger!
Marc

29th Apr 07 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have a point about the attendance, even the season ticket prices show they want more people to go.
nik

29th Apr 07 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I were looking to invest in a club to challenge the top 4 this would be my shortlist (in no order) - based on size of grounds, fan base, size of the city etc etc

Tottenham
Man City
Newcastle
Everton

A lot of the other clubs are pretty small in comparison towards the upper reaches - Portsmouth, Bolton, Reading etc.
Marc

29th Apr 07 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Newcastle could be massive in the right hands.
Robbo

29th Apr 07 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Newc aye!
Marc

29th Apr 07 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone on another forum has said that hes lining up a takeover of Man City
Hammer

29th Apr 07 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have to wonder about football fans sometimes, they're a breed apart. I think the pies at the grounds are laced with acid, some of the rumours folk come away with!
Carl

29th Apr 07 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got to agree with Nik, ever got a shit team to the top flight on champ manager and got stuck with a shitty 15k stadium, its a ball ache.
dazavich

30th Apr 07 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Newcastle manager for me, Man City is a definate step down and would be pointless imo

The lack of a decent manager is what's ruining Newcastle's chances of sucess as they have a very strong squad.
Jules S
Premium Member

30th Apr 07 at 12:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Club chairman Phil Gartside told reporters: "Sammy brings a lot of experience. He has been involved with Liverpool and England and been a top coach.

"If you take a key man out of the team you have to replace him with someone better and we have done that."

That makes sense then
Nath

30th Apr 07 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Better
C2RL R

30th Apr 07 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure if Lee is better but i'm happy with the choice. Anyone know how long his contract is?
Rachel H

30th Apr 07 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They will get relegated now.
J da Silva

30th Apr 07 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If Sammy Lee is better, then why didn't they just have him as no1 and Allardyce as his assistant?

Bitter words IMO. Slight dig at Allardyce.
Marc

30th Apr 07 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hes hardly going to say we've replaced Sam with someone whos not quite as good are they!!!
Cosmo

30th Apr 07 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and TBH no one knows if he is any good really as dont think he has managed at a decent level before. Has been coach to a number of top class managers though so shuld of picked a few things up.
Hammer

30th Apr 07 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bitterness is probably justified though, for all he seems a genuine guy Allardyce does come across del boy like with his buying policy.

It will come in a couple of months if not sooner he's took a back hander or he has a gentlemans agreement to take someones job come the end of the season.

[Edited on 30-04-2007 by Hammer]
Jules S
Premium Member

30th Apr 07 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
and TBH no one knows if he is any good really as dont think he has managed at a decent level before. Has been coach to a number of top class managers though so shuld of picked a few things up.

That sort of sums it up doesn't it?

IIRC he's 49 and never managed a side in this country (as far as I can recall, not that i've followed his career)

I was a big fan of him in his playing days at the 'pool though
Cosmo

30th Apr 07 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some sort of coaching role at Liverpool from 1993 until 2004 under Souness, Evans and Houllier (from Reserve coach to first team coach).

Involved as England first team coach from 2001 until 2006 (full-time from 2004). Becoming involved at Bolton in 2005.

As a player he won...
* Charity Shield: 1979, 1980, 1982; Runner-up: 1983, 1984
* Football League Cup: 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984
* European Cup: 1981, 1984; Runner-up: 1985
* Division 1 (Level 1): 1982, 1983, 1984, 1986
* European Super Cup: Runner-up 1978, 1984
Mark1984_SRI

3rd May 07 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I read 'The Sun' today and apparently he's going to Newcastle! Think it will happen?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Sam Allardyce has resigned!! 24 database queries in 0.0272300 seconds