corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » F28 oil leak

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author F28 oil leak
DAZ1985

User status: Offline
   8th Jul 07 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I lastnight aquired an oil leak from the gearbox .....

I was driving along opening it up a little and at one point i lost 5th after pulling over and going through the gears id lost 1st, 3rd, 5th and reverse, I had suspisions of the linkage come loose hence me not getting the gears i was, but after switching off the engine and back on again i tried and had them all 6 and reverse again. I thought nothing more of it and carried on my journey.

After pulling up to pick some up i noticed a trail of oil coming from under the car. Its wasnt warm and had a red colour to it. I've had the car on ramps today and its seems to be coming from the drivers side seal where the shaft goes in as its sprayed up the starter down the exhaust etc....

I've drained the oil off and it only had 1.5 litres in (assuming thier should be 2 litres?)

What could have caused it to do what its done? Its been running fine since i put the engine in the car (2months ago)

Any help or ideas would be appreciated
Nic Barnes

8th Jul 07 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they hold 1.9 litres of gearbox oil, seal could have died its more than likely as its an old gearbox covered a few miles and had a few shafts banged in and out of it id say?
DAZ1985

8th Jul 07 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got another seal as its the side where originally the transfer box would have been. so i might jus change that over and give it a try
Ben ev

9th Jul 07 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in a ideal world seals should be changed everytime you remove the driveshafts but we all no it dosnt happen
DAZ1985

9th Jul 07 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i dropped the oil to see how much was in it and put fresh in and went for a drive, its coming from inside the bell housing, got back and looked where its coming from. Im assuming the seal is past its day but then i suspect that the spiggot shaft bearing has gone abit wrong making the seal not seat as it should, hense the leak and the loss of gears mentioned above.

2nd gear syncro is on its way out anyway so i think i'll just replace the box, if anyone knows where i can get one local(ish)
lee mitchell

9th Jul 07 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the bearing may have cracked the housing inside the box. quite common
DAZ1985

9th Jul 07 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any info on what could cause that to happen ?
lee mitchell

9th Jul 07 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aint got a clue just know its common.when u remove the box theres a round disc to the left of the drivers side shaft inside the box. thats where the bearing sits behind it. only got to be a tiny crack and will open up and leak oil
DAZ1985

9th Jul 07 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So it could be fixable as i've got an f28 i can use for spares so i'm thinking buy another box stick that in, then get one box made up out of the 2 i've already got. then i've got a spare

I've also got a spare f20 doing nothing but i'd rather keep to the f28 tbh

If all that makes sense
lee mitchell

9th Jul 07 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea if its cracked u could just swop the casing
DAZ1985

9th Jul 07 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think its the casing that is cracked on the spare box i have, but that another story so looks like i wont be able make a box from the 2. gutted

Well if you know anyone whos got one that doesnt whine or anything then give me a shout, quite desperate tbh though as its my transport to work

New Poll