corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » ntl speed cap?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ntl speed cap?
ssj_kakarot

User status: Offline
15th Aug 07 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does any ones ntl/virgin run slower on a night time, im on the 20meg service and it seems they half the bandwidth on a night time, always get around 5 meg down and my upload speed is more than halved to 20kb max up.

its really annoying as i like to seed torrents on a night but only get 20k, during the day however, i get 80+.

any one else notice this.
Dom

15th Aug 07 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they have a cap on the service mate, was put in place around june time when NTL upgraded the network for 20mb.

On a 20mb connection with virgin, if you download more than 3GB (i think thats the limit) between the hours 4pm and midnight, then your 20mb gets downgraded to 5mb for 4 hours!

It does mean that you could hit the limit at 11:59pm and it won't go back to 20mb until 3:59am.

And i would phone to complain as it was writen into the T&C even before the limit was put in place - virgin just seemed to have "forgot" to tell everyone about it

anyways, i would sign up to http://www.cableforum.co.uk It's a good place to keep up to date about virgin, especially things like trials/caps/new tv channels etc

p.s - this effects all broadband services they do, only difference is the cap limit (i believe 4mb is something like 750mb or something), but the reduction is roughly 75% (so 4mb goes to 1mb etc)

p.p.s - they take in account upload as well as download, so i would stop seeding your torrents if you want the connection to last a little longer

[Edited on 15-08-2007 by Dom]
Russ

16th Aug 07 at 06:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hate virgin, they are wankers, tied into a contract, definatly getting out of it next year :@
Dom

16th Aug 07 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
i hate virgin, they are wankers, tied into a contract, definatly getting out of it next year :@

tbh, atleast they don't cut you off like other isps, offer no real cap (just this reduction is speed) and one of the only ISPs that can offer you near enough 20mb all the time (unless you fancy living on top of an exchange for ADSL).

The only other isp that would be worth swapping to is Be and their Unlimited package, but to get 24mb you have to live pretty damn close to the exchange.
Jules

16th Aug 07 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're one the leeches that hogs the bandwidth are you?!?! :

so am I....
ssj_kakarot

17th Aug 07 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i already knew about the high limit cap, however, its not that as some days i will have not downloaded a single thing and its still cutting the service down every night.

infact i didnt have my pc on for 2 weeks no traffic at all came back and on the night it was exactly the same.
Dom

17th Aug 07 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If i were you, i would download DuMeter and then see if the reduction in speed is coming in when you're over the limit or it's happening otherwise.

Also, if your virgin (ntl/telewest) then the best place to test download speed (when you're using a bandwidth monitor like DuMeter) is - http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/
Ftp server running within the virgin network, and i've always manage to sustain 2100Kb/s+

p.s - if after a while you find that your aren't going over the limit and still getting a reduction then call customer services, could be a problem with your UBR or line etc etc

[Edited on 17-08-2007 by Dom]
ssj_kakarot

18th Aug 07 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

220kb/sec from that link lol think ill ring customer services ive never had anywere near the full speed since the upgrade any way.

cheers for the link.
ssj_kakarot

18th Aug 07 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hey does dumeter track traffic on the whole network or just through the one pc its installed on?
Dom

18th Aug 07 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
220kb/sec from that link lol think ill ring customer services ive never had anywere near the full speed since the upgrade any way.

cheers for the link.

you tried downloading a demo from gamefiles.virginmedia.com, something like > THIS <? Left it for about a minute and it settled down to a little under 2000Kb/s, constantly.

but if you are only getting 220kb/s then it could be a fault with your line/ubr or your cable modem is bodged. Phone tech support either and get them to send out an engineer

And DuMeter just measures whats being pasted through the computer it's been installed on to. However, from what i remember, if you install it on all of the computers on you network then you can set it up so that each copy of DuMeter recieves each computers bandwidth usage and current speed etc.
Otherwise you need a router (usually high end stuff) that supports the SNMP protocol, in which case you can get data straight from the router about current usage, speed etc

[Edited on 18-08-2007 by Dom]

New Poll