corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How can you confirm what catogory write off a car is....??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How can you confirm what catogory write off a car is....??
5doormodder

User status: Offline
6th Sep 07 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys, I havent posted in here for bloody ages now....

Anyway, Im going to collect a car for my girlfriend tomorrow, its advertised as a Cat D write off, and when HPI'd it comes back as 'Insurance write off' but does not say what catagory it is. How can I find out for sure what catagory write off it is?

Do I call the DVLA? Can they even tell me due to the freedom of info act and all that?

Because really, all the HPI tells me is its a write off, and not what catagory.

Any help would be super appritiated !!

[Edited on 06-09-2007 by 5doormodder]
5doormodder

6th Sep 07 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car is now fully repaired, its got 12 months m.o.t and 12 months tax so it must be okay to have passed the m.o.t unless the owner knows a dodgy mechanic? lol

CAT A = A vehicle which should have been totally crushed, including all its spare parts.

Cat B = A vehicle from which spare parts may be salvaged, but the bodyshell should have been crushed and the car should never return to the road.

CAT C An extensively damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.

CAT D A damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.

CAT F A vehicle damaged by fire, which the insurer has decided not to repair.

[Edited on 06-09-2007 by 5doormodder]
James_DT

6th Sep 07 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll need a vehicle identity check on a Cat C, but not on a Cat D. You can ring VOSA to find out if your car needs a VIC.
If it's one that's been repaired by a previous, then DVLA would be able to tell you IIRC.
p4uls corsa

7th Sep 07 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its only a cat d it wont show up on the front of the logbook, if its a cat c it will show up on the logbook as having a vic check done...
johnhara1

7th Sep 07 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by p4uls corsa
if its only a cat d it wont show up on the front of the logbook, if its a cat c it will show up on the logbook as having a vic check done...

yep just look at the log book.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How can you confirm what catogory write off a car is....?? 23 database queries in 0.0092611 seconds