corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Fortinet/Fortigate

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fortinet/Fortigate
Dom

User status: Offline
30th Jan 08 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone used any of there products, especially Fortigates? Just wondering what there like to work with especially setting up and day to day maintenance?

Paul

31st Jan 08 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are AWESOME!

Dom

31st Jan 08 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul
They are AWESOME!

well they seem to do a lot, but just wondering anyone here has used them because we need to implent a function, being able to switch of groups of IPs ideal from outbound connections, whenever the need may be. But so far we've found nothing, only that users can be disabled/enabled which isn't what we're after - although we could bodge with cronjobs on a server, SSH'ing into the Fortigate and disabling/enabling rooms based on the users/students currently in there, so would be doing SQL lookups everytime to the timetable DB - one serious bodge
Paul

31st Jan 08 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to work with them, what is it your trying to do?
Dom

31st Jan 08 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I used to work with them, what is it your trying to do?

with our current symantec system we're able to block groups of computers (ie: rooms), IP based, so the kids can't go on the internet in certain rooms (most classrooms have systems etc). However, with the Fortigate (which gets delivered in a few weeks) we can't find anything in the manuals to state that we can create groups of systems and enable/disable them when required (via IP/computer name).
Instead it seems to be user based, in terms of authentication for the outbound connections (ie: the internet) - and from reading we're only able to enable/disable users (will be linked in with our Windows AD using FSAE).
Perhaps we haven't read enough of the manual (it's pretty damn big ) but we haven't come across anything regarding blocking ip ranges, blocking via computer names or anthing to do with blocking actual computer and not users.

Any help will be much appreciated

P.s - A quick thought, can we block internal addresses using firewall policies (preferably computer names as systems are on dynamic ips)?

[Edited on 31-01-2008 by Dom]
Paul

1st Feb 08 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can setup policies on the fortigates to firewall certain ports, yes. You can also put in schedules so certain rules only apply at certain times of day. I believe you can have a poilicy that looks something like this:

TCP 80 | 192.168.1.0/24 | Mon 9-5

If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy it from?

[Edited on 01-02-2008 by Paul]
Dom

1st Feb 08 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You can setup policies on the fortigates to firewall certain ports, yes. You can also put in schedules so certain rules only apply at certain times of day. I believe you can have a poilicy that looks something like this:

TCP 80 | 192.168.1.0/24 | Mon 9-5

If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy it from?

[Edited on 01-02-2008 by Paul]

so we can block a range of internal ips? is it possible to groups ips and then enable/disable that policy for that group?

We're getting given them from the Hertfordshire council schools network (basically a county-wide network between all of the schools in the area - so our lease line runs thru councty hall, aka thegrid.org.uk) because the license for symantec (what the network currently runs on, there end) is running out, so all schools are being given fortigate-300a's (thats what i've been told so far anyways).

New Poll