corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Is it worth buying new?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is it worth buying new?
chrex

User status: Offline
3rd Mar 08 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Build one youself!...

That way you know whats gone into it...use a decent shell...and get one sorted the way you want it!! Ok you dont get the warranty and ur 0% finance...but you could get exactly what u want for less money...at worst the same!

Then again...have you got the time to spend looking about for the different bits and do you have the genuine want to have something like that?? and maintain it!

[Edited on 03-03-2008 by chrex]
dannymccann

3rd Mar 08 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrex
Build one youself!...

That way you know whats gone into it...use a decent shell...and get one sorted the way you want it!! Ok you dont get the warranty and ur 0% finance...but you could get exactly what u want for less money...at worst the same!

Then again...have you got the time to spend looking about for the different bits and do you have the genuine want to have something like that?? and maintain it!

[Edited on 03-03-2008 by chrex]

Certainly not, nor the mechanical knowhow nor the time to do it. If I was training to go into mechanics etc it would definetly be viable, but im training to be an accountant, kinda the opposite

Thanks for all your views so far, they are helpful seeing it from people who have and would buy brand new and people who havent and wouldnt
deano87

3rd Mar 08 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
My car had a LIST price with all the options of £15,600

16 months and 19 thosand miles later I paid £8450 for it

Christ on a bike
chrex

4th Mar 08 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah fair dos!

Well i wouldnt buy a new car. i'd got for the 1-2 years old if i was gonna do anything!
dannymccann

4th Mar 08 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone know of good websites to find pre-reg cars on? Ive been googling and not finding much, or is it a case of actually going into the dealerships and saying 'I dont want a new car, what re-regs u got to offer me?'
Fonz
Premium Member

4th Mar 08 at 07:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depreciation would be a massive factor for me, Matt showed us that

i agree with the comments about going to a dealer with the view to get 12-24month old car. My friedn was looking for new car, decided upon a Fiesta, new shape but a year or too old. she found one, but as she was looking her brother was looking in the new section and found a high spec model for only £300 more!
she now has a Zetec Blue Fiesta for £7350 (part exchanged) it worth taking a look around. she knows she'll be keeping the car for many years so depreciation isnt a great issue.

depends how long you want the car. i've no interest in buying new for a long time. i'm happy changing cars every 2/3years
dannymccann

4th Mar 08 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well if we are only spending £7-8k on a motor depreciation isnt really that much of an issue tbh because we will be keeping it until it becomes too expensive to repair or if we need another car for other reasons (family etc, but wont even be considering that for at least 8 years or summat)
mwg

4th Mar 08 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
How are you finding your lease plan? Im tempted towards getting one. Not sure tho, suppose theres arguements pro & against!

Its a total luxury sort of thing to be able to do, if I had other outgoings like a running a house I'm not sure I'd be able to afford it which is why I'm doing it now before I get tied down with a house.

It doesn't make sense financially but its a good way to get a brand new car for less outlay per month than a personal loan. I might pay the final sum at the end to own the car if I cant afford to carry on paying for another brand new one.
AndyKent

4th Mar 08 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love having a brand new car - nothing like getting in and knowing you're the only person who has owned it/driven it. Bit annoying when you mark the interior, or heaven forbid bump it, but you know thats your fault, no-one elses

Plus, I can choose to pay the remainder of my finance off whenever I like - I actually have the cash in the bank to finish it now, but on a 0% deal I might as well just keep paying monthly - its cheaper.

That said, not sure I'd have another brand new car when I come to change....
dannymccann

4th Mar 08 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why?
AndyKent

4th Mar 08 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Feeling tied down a bit - knowing that the depreciation means I really should keep the car for as long as possible to make it worth the cash etc etc.
ed

4th Mar 08 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6 monthers where people have defaulted on the finance payments are getting more and more common.
dannymccann

4th Mar 08 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldnt afford to default on the finance, for future mortgages etc, and the linked one on the 1st page is easily affordable as our only outgoings are rent (saving deposit for house in a few years by renting) and everything associated with that (so food, a few bills and then running the actual car).

Just seems what with having not much else going out atm the perfect time?
Fonz
Premium Member

5th Mar 08 at 14:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

clearly not worth it lookin at this!

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=416281&pid=5466623#pid5466623
Neo

5th Mar 08 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a 6month old car for 4.5k less than a brand new one. I'm happy. I know it'll go down but when i come to sell it i will probably get about half back.

If you want a new car you just have to be aware how much your going to loose.
dannymccann

5th Mar 08 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea ive been ringing round a few places and saying im interested in pre-reg and older cars now, I found a Ibiza 1.9TDi S, 52 plate with 40000 miles for £4k but someone had already bought it Would have been worth a look
corsa_godfather

5th Mar 08 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

usually no id say

but i got my fez @ 4% a.p.r which is very good considering
Lucky B

5th Mar 08 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pre reg or 1yr old seems to be the most cost effective way of doing things.

I noticed a dealer selling '07 Vectra 1.8 Sri's in the paper for £8999, almost half new RRP. (dunno the mileage)

Buying new loses you too much money.
Timbaland
Banned

5th Mar 08 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Example:

2007 Peugeot 307cc 2.0 HDi

New: £19,885.
11 months later: £13,400.

I know the car makes vary but the principal is there.

Lion

5th Mar 08 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never been able to get my head around the fools, sorry people who buy a new car.
Depreciation, higher tax for 01 reg.
I just couldnt do it. My mstes just got a new corsa, same as mine in spec, only its a manual.
He pays twice the tax & insurance! & over 10 times the price to buy, its madness
AndyKent

5th Mar 08 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said earlier, I've loved having a new car. I knew what it'd cost me and I knew that I'd need to keep it a few years to make it worth while.

I'd much rather my car than an older car, don't regret it for one minute but at the same time, won't do it next time mostly due to wanting the money for a house rather than a car....

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Is it worth buying new? 23 database queries in 0.0161850 seconds