corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Credit Card Question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Credit Card Question
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Mar 08 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, POW wants to buy himself a new TV.

I don't really wanna pay the whole lot up front, it's a fair amount for what I'm earning (I could afford it, but I'd have to stay in for every night of the month )

So I popped onto Money Supermarket today and looked for a credit card with 0% on purchases for x months (12 preferably).

Now if I buy a TV that is for eg. £300, and I put it on this 12 month interest free card, does it mean if I wanted to pay it off in 3 months, I could? There would be no extra interest because of the offer? IE. I could pay off:

£100 one month
£100 next month
£100 3rd month

And thats it, back in the black again? No interest?

Also, I have one credit card already (with Nationwide) which is always paid off on time etc, would I get decined for another one?
John

19th Mar 08 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes can pay it off when you like.

Depends what card you go for but interest free ones are normally ok, worth a quick look on mse forum.

My current interest free one is the HSBC card.
pow
Premium Member

19th Mar 08 at 20:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you mean, some cards have trouble? The one I'm looking at applying for atm is a halifax one?
John

19th Mar 08 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some cards have more stringent acceptance guidelines, one of the capital one cards for instance you need to fulfill far too many criteria to get it, halifax should be fine though.
pow
Premium Member

19th Mar 08 at 21:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where can I find these criteria?
John

19th Mar 08 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not normally public, mse forum though.
pow
Premium Member

19th Mar 08 at 22:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it worth visiting a Halifax branch and talking to someone? My credit history isnt huge, but can't be bad, I had like 1 charge back when I was 16/17 which was waived because it was my first one. Infact, I was 16 or maybe even 15, I wasnt driving at the time

After that my credit history can't be bad - no overdraft, credit card paid off in full every month

[Edited on 19-03-2008 by pow]
Colin

19th Mar 08 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Halifax will give you one but the limit probably wont be massive....500 maybe. Yeah you can pay it off over as long as you want over the 12 months.
pow
Premium Member

19th Mar 08 at 22:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

500 is just about fine for the TV I want.

My current cards' limit is £1800

Thanks alot chaps, think ill try and get to a Halifax tomorrow
mattk

19th Mar 08 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Credit cards scare me!
AndyKent

20th Mar 08 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Credit cards are great if you use it like a debit card.

Mine both give me cashback on everything and don't cost me a penny, in fact they pay me to use it
BigSte

20th Mar 08 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes mate can pay it when you want...I'm in the same boat, I have bought a TV at £600 and furniture for living room at £450... I have this money in my savings account already so I could have bought it outright.

I've got a lot to buy this year for my house and have already got the cash for it, so I'm gonna run my card up to the £5k limit then pay it all off in the final month.
With the money I've got in my savings account I get about £80 a quarter in interest.

I'm just paying the minimum payment a month (prob about 5% of the balance), then will pay the lot off when the interest free runs out

New Poll