corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » database driven intranet....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author database driven intranet....
Mase
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th May 08 at 14:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking at developing an intranet for work. Basically its a computer or CD based intranet that links to various PDF'd operation and maintenance manuals for pumps, valves etc. that we have to include as part our delivery of a project.

What I'd like to do is develop a way of creating a template that could be used for all projects. I want to see if a database driven solution would be viable and easy for all project teams to use with little tuition.

The major problem is my severe lack of knowledge of this type of thing, so was after some opinions as to whether this type of system would be suitable for my needs and how i could go about developing the database and GUI.

Cheers

[Edited on 13-05-2008 by Mase]

Mase
colour_golden

13th May 08 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It all depends what system and language you want to write it in. Their is ASP and PHP as the main coding laguages used to access databases.

ASP is microsoft so would need a windows server to run on. PHP is open source and so is MySQL (Database server) but php is, IMO harder to learn. I started on ASP then went onto PHP purely for the fact a website i was asked to work on was in PHP.

You need to decide what you want the system to do before you can decide which is best for you, if you simply want a document management system, products + manuals etc then there may already be something ready made for free over on sourceforge.net, this would cut out the hassle of making it yourself. For example http://www.doctaur.com/cgi-bin/intranet_version.pl
ed

13th May 08 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To do it using PHP and MySQL you could install Vertrigoserv on a computer and use that as your intranet server that you have your data on. Then you just need the site made up...
Ian
Site Administrator

13th May 08 at 19:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're giving it out on CD you need to weigh up what benefits a system of that nature will bring. Filesystem is a great thing if you're just talking about a load of PDF documents.
Bart

13th May 08 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you use your own server at work or anything similar?
Mase
Premium Member

13th May 08 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
If you're giving it out on CD you need to weigh up what benefits a system of that nature will bring. Filesystem is a great thing if you're just talking about a load of PDF documents.

yeah it would just be a load of PDF documents and drawings. I've put a makeshift thing together which is just a HTML website with links to the PDF's in seperate files, but its a bugger to update and takes ages, so I was looking for something a bit quicker really with a easy to use GUI. Have you got any links to this 'filesystem' thing? (unless i'm barking up the wrong tree and your talking bout the file system like windows explorer??)

Mase
Mase
Premium Member

13th May 08 at 21:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
do you use your own server at work or anything similar?

we've got servers and that, but i expect they'll want to keep it seperate from our systems.

Mase
Ian
Site Administrator

14th May 08 at 00:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I'm just talking about Windows filesystem - what additional functionality do you need?
Mase
Premium Member

14th May 08 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well thats what we usually did, but what I want to do is to split the manuals up into the different areas of the project so that engineers can access the correct manual faster, as well as extra information with details of suppliers and order numbers etc. for spares and assistance.

I just wanted to add a bit of an interface that everyone could use easily.

Mase
Laney

14th May 08 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you planning on distributing the GUI on CD and keeping the data stored elsewhere?
Paul

14th May 08 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a look at this Microsoft Sharepoint

And best of all, it's FOC

[Edited on 14-05-2008 by Paul]
Mase
Premium Member

14th May 08 at 13:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Laney
Are you planning on distributing the GUI on CD and keeping the data stored elsewhere?

ideally the complete standalone manual will be on CD or DVD, database and GUI.

Mase
Doug

14th May 08 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could you not just write a html website and put that on CD with the direct links to the relevant files stored on the CD aswell?
Mase
Premium Member

14th May 08 at 18:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what I've done already, but i was looking to see if there was a quicker way of developing one that all project engineers could put together, some of whom struggle with e-mails.

Tbh, its looking like i'll be doing em for everyone at the minute, unless i can palm it off onto the IT guys....

Mase
Laney

15th May 08 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mase
quote:
Originally posted by Laney

ideally the complete standalone manual will be on CD or DVD, database and GUI.

Cant help but think something more dynamic would be easier to maintain?
Mase
Premium Member

15th May 08 at 13:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once the projects done, there isn't a need to update the manual as far as were concerned, as this manual only covers the kit we have supplied and installed at the time....

Mase

New Poll