corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Timing Chains

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Timing Chains
Joe

User status: Offline
31st Jul 08 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon Charlotte's problems will all be sorted if she gets the tappets adjusted.
Charlotte

31st Jul 08 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well ill ring the garage on saturday and see. i might also take it down to another garage when i go to the gym and see what they say. if they both say the same thing then ill get it done. i will mention what everyone has said and see what they say.
deano87

31st Jul 08 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good luck.
Planty02

31st Jul 08 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Warren did my C 1.2 too...top bloke
Charlotte

31st Jul 08 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks. ill let you all know what they said
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

31st Jul 08 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
quote:
Originally posted by ArchieFrew
I've just done headgasket/timing chain gasket on my x12xe, after running it in for 1000 miles on 15/w40 oil i done an oil and filter change, using oil that we use at work, (10/w40)

since when do headgaskets and timing chains need running in on different oils, or running in at all?

I never said they did, but i just decided that since i had done a 1000 miles and was going to be fitting new plaugs/air flow meter i may as well do an oil change for the sake of £4.

And it was mere coincidence that i was using different grades, as i got the 15-40 from the local factors as i was doing my car whilst on holiday from work.
Where as we use 10-40 at work and i serviced my car in my work so i didnt have to crawl around the ground, and i get my waste oil safely disposed of.
Archie
Premium Member

31st Jul 08 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob E
If its the chain ten yuo have two options. Vauxhal offer a "repair kit" in which a special tool is used to split the chain and then yuo feed the other round. OR yuo can have al the tensioners and rails replaced which is a case of striping the left hand side of the engine including removing the sump. Ths option is quite a lengthy job though

You can leave the sump on if your careful
ainsley_brader

31st Jul 08 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have never seen so muchg bull in a thread on cs before.

Yes chains are ment to be good for 100k plus but that means nothing i changed a 1.4 corsa c chain this morning that was very noisy at only 40,000 miles with full dealer history.

Price wise the kit was £113 for chain, gears, guides and tensioners. Add to that rocher and timing cover gaskets but no need to deop the sump.

However you should be changing the oil if you have the timing chain cover off as you will loose some water into the sump by design.

Yes you can (or at least could) split the chain and wind it round meaning you didnt have to dismantle the engine. But this may only be half the problem. The top guide in particular on the one i did was very badly worn. (rotating metal tends to cut into plastic)

Oh and no you dont need to run them in!
_Allan_

31st Jul 08 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ainsley_brader
I have never seen so muchg bull in a thread on cs before.

Yes chains are ment to be good for 100k plus but that means nothing i changed a 1.4 corsa c chain this morning that was very noisy at only 40,000 miles with full dealer history.

Price wise the kit was £113 for chain, gears, guides and tensioners. Add to that rocher and timing cover gaskets but no need to deop the sump.

However you should be changing the oil if you have the timing chain cover off as you will loose some water into the sump by design.

Yes you can (or at least could) split the chain and wind it round meaning you didnt have to dismantle the engine. But this may only be half the problem. The top guide in particular on the one i did was very badly worn. (rotating metal tends to cut into plastic)

I can change one in the dark with my teeth so fuck you!
Archie
Premium Member

31st Jul 08 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I only 'run in' my car as i'd just done a headgasket & was told the head was badly warped by the engineer who skimmed it so i didnt wanna rebuild my pride & joy and start hitting limiters straight away, 50 mile of granny driving, then i done an oil & filter after 1k to make sure that everythin was hunky dory, as my timing chain gasket was fucked which lead to the head gasket going & my head being warped, may have been overly cautious but i fix cars every day and last thing i want to have to do is fix mine, general maintaince i can handle but i dont think i could spend another bank holiday doing a top end rebuild.
sand-eel

31st Jul 08 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can't adjust tappets (hydraulic lifters) just put in thicker oil, should reduce noise
deano87

1st Aug 08 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

iirc that is all Warren did with mine. Has been more than fine ever since!
mad_mike252

1st Aug 08 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drive it intill the engine fuck's up and put a biger 1 in
phil_sutton

1st Aug 08 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mad_mike252
drive it intill the engine fuck's up and put a biger 1 in

or carrying on typing until you spell something right
deano87

1st Aug 08 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sound advice I thought

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Timing Chains 23 database queries in 0.0320029 seconds