corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » My PC is gay, getting old and in need of some updating - advise me please!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My PC is gay, getting old and in need of some updating - advise me please!
Jules

User status: Offline
13th Nov 08 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK, been thinking about it for a while and the PC is getting worse - so time for a upgrade I think.
Recently I've been having to leave it on 24/7 as often it won't get asfar as BIOS during bootup, it might catch after about a dozen attempts but it was driving me up the wall - I assume as it's not even passing BIOS this would be a MoBo fault?

Currently I have:
Mobo: Asus A8n-SLi, Skt939
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ (3700 Mhz)
RAM: Unbranded 4x512MB DDR
GFX: nVidia 6600GT SLi (x2, running in SLi mode)
HDD: C - 120GB IDE; D - 250GB IDE

Now, I'm thinking of chaging all of that for sevreal reasons:
Mobo: Skt 939 is old hat now and not cost effective to keep compared to performance against AM2 etc sockets
CPU: see above
RAM: DDR is still avaliable but is expensive compared to the more modern and better performing DDR2, so that's another reason for changing the Mobo...
GFX: My nVidia6600GT SLi's were good in their day and are still ok now, but you don't see so many duel SLi mobo's (at a decent price) so probably worth sacking them off and getting a more conventional single GFX card.
HDD: Both of mine are IDE and most Mobo's these days only have a single IDE channel with the rest going to SATA, so a new HDD should be on the cards - but this creates a problem, I have my C drive with everything on it that I need (Windows (obv)) and all the programs I use - the D drive is where I keep music etc - would it be a good idea to keep the C drive in my new system to save me all the arse ache of re-installing every program I want? Or would I be better getting a decent sized (750GB ish) SATA drive, use that as C, reinstall everything, and use my D drive on the IDE channel?
If so how do I get things like the emails I want to keep from my Outlook Express on my current C drive onto my new SATA C drive?

So, who is winning the CPU race atm? I've always been a AMD man but if the better bang for buck is with Intel then it makes sense to go that way.
Same question for the GFX cards - always been a nVidia man and I'm aware of the partnerships that AMD & ATi and Intel & nVidia have created so it would also make sense to pair up accordingly if they would perfom better - which isn't my ideal situation as I like AMD and nVidia

So what good deals are out there? I don't want to spend silly money (no more than three-four hundred really), I'm capable of building it all myself and have a decent case/PSU etc

Go go geeks - do your best!

DannyB
Premium Member

13th Nov 08 at 23:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To save yourself a bit of cash, look on scan for daily offers, unfortunately I can't give you any proper advice as I don't know all that much about building them
Jules

14th Nov 08 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Danny, yeah I look on Scan all the time but then get confused as to if I want AMD or Intel, nVidia or ATi etc
Jules

14th Nov 08 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Opinons?

John

14th Nov 08 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go for an Intel chip, still much better than AMD, apart from swapping for an socket 775 motherboard the rest will do.

New Poll