corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Top selling cars of 2008

New Poll
  <<  5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Top selling cars of 2008
jr

User status: Offline
8th Jan 09 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
I'd rather an E46 M3 than Astra VXR.

id rather a space shuttle than a boat, not really fair comparesent
deano87

8th Jan 09 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it was, considering that is what Jambo was considering
Ojc

8th Jan 09 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
brakes on astra? £200? Something like that?

£700 for bmw.
My next service will be around that too

Exactly, and when you want to start saving money and still have fun in a car the Astra is an excellent alternative
Joe

8th Jan 09 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i like Astra VXR's so much so i very, very very nearly bought one. Red, 19s leather etc. 58plate. Was going to go ahead untill i realised the real cost of owning a brand new car.

I like my Vauxhalls and will always do, currently adding another B to the family.

However the difference in build quality/materiels isnt just the plastics. My M3's dash is much more tactile and more quality feeling than the 08plate astra i drove, now before people jump on the price comparison etc. My car was made in 2002 and uses the same dash as the 318 if im not mistaken. But, driving any new bmw (with correct wheels driven for a start) compared to a vx/ford/vw etc etc is the overall feel and experience. It makes vxs seem like they are put together with string. And i dont mean the dash i mean the way the steering feels, the dynamics etc. That is why BMWs are popular. I agree there are badge snobs out there who wouldnt drive a vx because of the badge (i.e my dad :lol but thats their loss. Vx make great cars. But if i had the choice between a vectra c and an e60 5series i would not buy the taxi if i had the extra cash, because quite simply its a far better car in every aspect.

I have sat in an insignia and it was mightly impressive, but if u sit the interior next to an A4 the A4 is far more attractive, and looks like its worth more. If you compare the dynamics (not that i have personly)
It woule easily be on par with the a4 imo but then the reason that looses out to the BMW in the tests every generation is due to the poor dynamics by comparison. If Vx could make a non aussie RWD car they would be onto a winner.

Arguing this is all nonsense really. Both car makers make excellent cars, as well as some poop ones, but they are aimed at a different markets.

Vx especialy have come along way in recent years and the gap is closing, but if they are aiming at the premium market? Then alot more work to be done.

On another note, according to Autocar last week, the infiniti coupe thing, is aparently much better than the bmw, audi and merc equivilant.

Thank you for summing up what I've been trying to say all along James.
jr

8th Jan 09 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See i think the B7 a4 interior is no better in anyway than an astra bar the MMI system
Jambo

8th Jan 09 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i based that purely on aesthetics jr, i havent sat in one. Built well or not. Looks amazing IMO
jr

8th Jan 09 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah fair enough
Ojc

8th Jan 09 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Realibilty between Vauxhall & Audi, now that is going to be a close call surely? Obviously Vauxhall sell more so there will be more instances of Vauxhall going wrong.
jr

8th Jan 09 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont know as ive never worked for vaux, but audis are not as good as everyone seems to think on hear
Jambo

8th Jan 09 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

modern cars in general seem to be pretty reliable these days no?
Ojc

8th Jan 09 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes Jambo, but when they go wrong nobody knows how to fix them.
whitter45

8th Jan 09 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Must say i owned a TT for 3 years and had a fair bit of trouble with it

The actial feel of the cabin was very sloid but by no means are they a sloid car

BMW are pretty much the same

Ford and Vauxhall have come on leaps and bounds and IMO better made than VW golfs etc
Jambo

8th Jan 09 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds about right the way most things are going

Any issues with your 1st vxr?
AndyKent

8th Jan 09 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who cares what everyone else thinks?

I bought my Golf after having a sit/drive in an Astra and went for the one I liked best. The Astra interior was pretty naff compared to my Golf - the Golf seems more upmarket with more expensive materials.

I don't care if it IS more expensive or not, it just feels it and that makes me happy.

Servicing is no different, as are spare parts as far as I know. Yes, I could have had a newer Astra for the same price as the Golf, but the golf will also be worth more when I come to sell it in 2/3 years time.

Some might not agree, but thats why I bought mine.....
Daimo B

8th Jan 09 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
What will the Vauxhall be worth after a year, compared to the Audi after a year?

Who will get to where-ever location quicker and more fun?

Isn't that what driving is about, to get somewhere?
Daimo B

8th Jan 09 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just my bit.

I love vauxhalls, they've come on HUGELY in the last 5 years. Quality has vastly improved.

Performance wise, like for like Vs some german cars, well some VX's are quicker, and some Germans are quicker, each has their own merits and flaws.

Personnally, how the car drives is the most important for me, some people want good fuel economy, some want looks, some just want the badge (not usually having any interest in cars).

Reliability, well we all loose out to Honda, end of..........

To me, there isn't £8k worth of "luxery" items in any equivilant german car over a ford or vauxhall. Add £2-£3k and we're talking real numbers, but then I guess this is the difference in profit margins.

But then its about badges... Why pay £200k for Ferrari when you can buy a £80k sport car that'll wipe the floor of the Ferrari, but its the badge..

Exactly the same with motorcycles and Ducati

And with clothing and designer names. £150 for a fancy named t-shirt, or £3 from Primark? Sure ones going to be a bit better, but £147 better????

So yes, ze germans, are still ahead on quality, but not as far as they were 10 years ago. I still think the majority buy due to the badge and the reputation, but then thats because 99% of people are A to B drivers and don't car if the chea car has an extra 3% cornering speed and 5% acceleration....... If its got a poorer badge, they won't own it.

Would a snob buy a brand new unseen ferrari if it was badged up as a Lada???? No.....

Daimo B

8th Jan 09 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
sounds about right the way most things are going

Any issues with your 1st vxr?

We have an early model VXR.... So really being a "cheap" make it should have lots of problems in the first few years...

Not one single issue............

20,000 mile service interval also.. (on a sidenote, the bloke at works "eco friendly" Prius rides on donut rubber that needs replacing every 2 days, and 10,000 mile service intervals).

Cost of ownership, purchase, servicing, parts on a german car.
Cost of ownership, purchase, serving, and parts on a UK car (Ford, Vauxhall etc).

The german cars are built slightly better, and you can feel it (just got out of an A4 actually ) but not the price they demand.

And what the feck is with rear lights going out due to "electrical" problems on the Mk4 golf??????? Quality control anyone Quite a poor thing to miss that one.
Ojc

8th Jan 09 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had 3 VXR's 15k in the first Astra, 12k in the Corsa VXR and 3k in the latest Astra not one issue other than tyres
Joe

8th Jan 09 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
Originally posted by Joe
What will the Vauxhall be worth after a year, compared to the Audi after a year?

Who will get to where-ever location quicker and more fun?

Isn't that what driving is about, to get somewhere?

Yeah but on the roads does that really matter? Most cars spend all of their lives on the roads, so I'd rather have a decent road car than one that is fast as fuck round the ring.
Daimo B

8th Jan 09 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RS4 or Vectra VXR though...

Sorry vauxhall, you loose in every way
Robin
Premium Member

8th Jan 09 at 18:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Performance wise, like for like Vs some german cars, well some VX's are quicker, and some Germans are quicker, each has their own merits and flaws.

Personnally, how the car drives is the most important for me, some people want good fuel economy, some want looks, some just want the badge (not usually having any interest in cars).

To me, there isn't £8k worth of "luxery" items in any equivilant german car over a ford or vauxhall. Add £2-£3k and we're talking real numbers, but then I guess this is the difference in profit margins.

Most German cars actually come with less standard equipment, even at the extra cost. My BMW (when it was new) would have had about 15 options ticked which would be standard in a Vectra of the same age.

However, having driven both 2 litre petrol and diesel Vectras and 320s, there was a HUGE difference in the way the cars drove, the BMW is much better.

Most people wouldn't care as to them it's normally a family car. A lot of people have massive badge snobbery, my brother for example, wouldn't buy a new Zafira, instead, he bought a VW Touran, which has a better engine, but is inferior in most ways, other than the quality of the dash plastics maybe.... but, I picked the better car for the fact that it was the better car, it's not what I intended to buy, I was actually looking for something more sporty.

As for some Vauxhalls being quicker, maybe true, but they might not be better to drive.

I get accused of buying a BMW for the sake of having a BMW, but I'm a Vauxhall man at heart, I just fell for the better car.

I totally agree with you about the Germans not being as far ahead as they were 10 years ago in terms of quality.

Daimo B

9th Jan 09 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, you REALLY pay for the options, anyone know how much the sat nav systems are as an extra in ze german cars?

Astra was £1500 I think, you get a bigger colour screen and the sat nav system.
AndyKent

9th Jan 09 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

About the same for colour Sat-nav in the Golf too IIRC give or take £50
deano87

9th Jan 09 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's about that in BMW's. May be a bit less than £1500. I think that is because most now don't need modding so much. Where the pop-up satnav would be in dad's 120d is just a storage tray.

<<  5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Top selling cars of 2008 23 database queries in 0.0146391 seconds