corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Brake fluid help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Brake fluid help
big eck

User status: Offline
10th Jan 09 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK folks I picked up my Ferodo DS2500 race pads this week and my 323mm grooved discs will hopefully be here next week sometime

When I have them fitted I will be changing the fluid as well but whats the best stuff for fast road use???

I've heard about the 5.1 fluid but thats supposed to be a but to extreme for the road and goes "off" quickly (needs replaced that is), is this true???
Corsa_Sport21

10th Jan 09 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dot 5.1 will be fine for the roads.

Alot of folk run it in theyr everyday cars.
Richardhhha

10th Jan 09 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unless our going to be doing track days with it i'd use dot 4 its more than capable for daily driving conditions..

all break fluids are hydrascopic so they go off / turn blackish around the same time..

if you track day the car or feel that you drive like a loon everywhere then go for dot 5.. much higher boiling point used to use it on the focus RS and cosie's that used to come in.
alan-g-w

10th Jan 09 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely then if Dot 4 and 5.1 have all the same disadvantages, but 5.1 withstands higher temps it's a no-brainer to go for 5.1? Even if you're not driving about like a loon everywhere you go it's still going to be there for when you want to.
gavin18787
Premium Member

10th Jan 09 at 15:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can all systems take 5.1

Ive been putting off fitting my goodridge hoses for too long now

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
big eck

10th Jan 09 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So 5.1 is fine for everyday road use then???
dhdev

11th Jan 09 at 01:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use castrol response super dot 4 or ATE super blue for track use. A standard dot 4 should be plenty good enough for road use. Most important is to keep the fluid fresh, as the wet boiling point of brake fluid is significantly lower than the dry (fresh) fluid boiling temperature.
Dot 5.1 is not compatible with all brake systems and components.
The blackish colour someone mentioned earlier, is nothing to do with the fluid absorbing water (hydroscopic) its carbon and rubber particles from the seals and hoses.

HTH

[Edited on 11-01-2009 by dhdev]

[Edited on 11-01-2009 by dhdev]
S77 CKL

11th Jan 09 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hydroscopic means it absorbs water. As above, the blackish colour is the grit off seals and hoses.

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years religiously.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Brake fluid help 24 database queries in 0.0408070 seconds