corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » lost my job too!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author lost my job too!
M2RTY

User status: Offline
13th Jan 09 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...I am an IT manager for INVISTA, one of the words largest chemical companies,

Got a phone call off my boss this morning as I'm not on site saying the site leaders were called into a meeting, and our European director came in and said 90 days and we're shutting.

Most of my work is site-based, but I work as a apart of a European team who look after 20+ sites (my main role was Information Security) but my site paid for all of my wages

so if anyone knows any good jobs (more managerial then technical) anywhere in the world then let me know lol! Never really applied for a job before as I was offered this one after I did a year there at Uni. Been there just over 3 years since I graduated. Just hope the fact that I have a Marjeting Degree and my IT is self taught don't go against me!

Oh well...good start to the year, but every cloud...

Colin

13th Jan 09 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shite

What sort of chemicals? Ive seen it start in my industry, offshore eploration, couple of the smaller companies have went bust. This is multi-million pound drilling companies that at one time you could say they had a money print on deck. You know its hit hard times when you see that happening.

Heard also of a helicoptor company used for transportation of personel & equipment went bust as well last week, yet still have a steady stream of work, just had other financial implications effect them & went under.

Bad times.

Get yourself abroad, damn right, ive got mates scattered about working in Azerbajan, Lima, Angola & the congo Go somewhere like that
--DAN--

13th Jan 09 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats shit mate Are you getting redundancy pay?
deano87

13th Jan 09 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bad times. I thought IT jobs would be the last to go, as most companies require IT no matter how it's operating.

I hope you find something.
Colin

13th Jan 09 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
bad times. I thought IT jobs would be the last to go, as most companies require IT no matter how it's operating.

If the whole place is shutting though.............its everyone out, from the chief to the shoe shine boy!

M2RTY

13th Jan 09 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we manufacture tho, its the manufacturing side thats been hit. I will be one of the last ones to go off site tho as we will need system sin place

doubt we could shut it all down in 90 days as we are aprt of a global network and other sites use us for IT services etc

INVISTA own such brands as Nylon, Lycra, StainMaster etc

My site makes Nylon and polymer. this is then shiped to other sites in EU and USA that make airbags, carpets, clothes, beer bottles, litterly hundreds of things

no car sales + no house sales = no airbags, tyres, carpets, furniture etc

2 of our biggest markets gone!
M2RTY

13th Jan 09 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ps - we have about 400 staff and 200 contors out of jobs, from technicians, to HR, to project managers, you name it!
Colin

13th Jan 09 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do your company not have any vacancies abroad? Like maybe they will try to reappoint you somewhere if your prepared to move.

Like if an assets sole to another company, sometimes they might offer deployment to somewhere else there operating.

Heard Iraq is soon to be up & coming
pow
Premium Member

13th Jan 09 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry to hear it mate

On the up side, have been looking around and there are plenty of CCNA/MCP/MSCE jobs knocking around
Hammer

13th Jan 09 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All you're hearing just now.

Multi-national Company we deal with is actually turning a profit day to day but because the banks are putting pressure on them to repay their debt quicker they are in serious trouble.

Grim times but with any luck it won't last too long.
Cosmo

13th Jan 09 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats shite mate.

Certainly hard times out there for people, have noticed the amount of applicants we are getting for jobs we are advertising increase about 10 fold in the last few months. Good for us but obviously showing how many are losing jobs at the moment.
M2RTY

13th Jan 09 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colin,

Our IT team is pretty much bare minimum, if they offer me something I will think about it....but our site feeds others, so more shut downs are to come I fear

I knew some redundencies on site were comming, but from an IT point of view (as my boss works on another site in Mydown) there is capital available for IT projects to cut costs if the return period is quick. Not spoke to him since then, but I know he does not wantto loose me but its odd how it works, all to do with who pays my wage
M2RTY

13th Jan 09 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PS - first 35k a year offer in my inbox wins me
deano87

13th Jan 09 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
quote:
Originally posted by deano87

If the whole place is shutting though.............its everyone out, from the chief to the shoe shine boy!

Oh yeah, I know, by which case I mean it indicates things must be bad.
Gareth

13th Jan 09 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unlucky, hope you get sorted quickly.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

13th Jan 09 at 23:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got told the same shit today too

Jobs in IT around here look to be few and far between I need to move but probs no different any where else!

13th Jan and already off to a shit 09'

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
deano87

13th Jan 09 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

damn.

I was thinking positively regarding my job. Now, I'm not so sure.
Mertin

14th Jan 09 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Heard also of a helicoptor company used for transportation of personel & equipment went bust as well last week, yet still have a steady stream of work, just had other financial implications effect them & went under.

Fit companys that Colin?

I know Oilexco have went into Adminstration, theyve not long taken over the Balmoral platform.

CNR have stopped drilling in the North Sea, so KCA are paying boys off. KCA boys on BP's Bruce find oot in February if their getting paid off or fit
stuartmitchell

14th Jan 09 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M2RTY
PS - first 35k a year offer in my inbox wins me

Email me your Cv mate. We have guys here who recruit for the IT Sector and may be able to help you out!

stuart.mitchell@changeinternational.net

Sounds like your on the other side of IT but one of our clients needs at IT Auditor with substantial infrastructure security experience. Salary is about 50K + with travel globally.
M2RTY

14th Jan 09 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

email sent, thanks
M2RTY

19th Jan 09 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

been there 3 years, looks like ill get 9 weeks pay if/when made redundent

but, could be 90 days, could be 18 months, dont know as yet

so for 9 weeks, which i sfuck all, I shall be going elsewhere as soon as I find something!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » lost my job too! 24 database queries in 0.3459940 seconds