corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » astra coupe turbo or civic type r

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author astra coupe turbo or civic type r
Rob R

User status: Offline
19th Jan 09 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I owned a mk4 gsi turbo running phase 3.5, sold it, bought a CTR, haven't looked back since. Driving the astra was like shagging a corpse, no response or feedback in any way shape or form.

I went from 330 lb/ft to 145 lb/ft and it didn't bother me at all.

The gear box more than makes up for it. You shifting to the next gear before you know it.

[Edited on 19-01-2009 by Rob R]
Nic Barnes

19th Jan 09 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
Just for comparison here are the differences between the C20XE that was in my old corsa and the K20 thats in the wifes CTR

I know about dyno lottery and all that so this is just a rough look lol

XE Corsa

Mods - 4-2-1 manifold straight through exhaust (no cat) only 1 rear silencer and an Induction Kit, Ecotec pipe (supposidly makes more torque than the power cap)

Civic Type R

Mods - Mongoose Cat back and thats it lol

one is in nm, other in lb/ft. cant be bothered to work out the differences really.

also. one engine was designed in 1986. the other is a lot more modern in many more ways. its an utter rubbish comparrison.

although the xe is still the most converted engine into anything. wonder why that is.
big eck

20th Jan 09 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the XE works out to about 150lbft
Daimo B

20th Jan 09 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes

one is in nm, other in lb/ft. cant be bothered to work out the differences really.

also. one engine was designed in 1986. the other is a lot more modern in many more ways. its an utter rubbish comparrison.

although the xe is still the most converted engine into anything. wonder why that is.

Because its cheap, simple, and the engines easily fit in other smaller cars...

Where-as Hondas produce good smaller engines, so they don't need a replacement like a corsa engine does (1.6 16v anyone? 160bhp Vs the GSI 109??).

Cost of Honda stuff and cost of Vauxhall stuff.

And no, its not a rubbish comparison at all. Its just your on the loosing hand so the toys are coming out
Corsa_Sport21

20th Jan 09 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes

Because its cheap, simple, and the engines easily fit in other smaller cars...

Where-as Hondas produce good smaller engines, so they don't need a replacement like a corsa engine does (1.6 16v anyone? 160bhp Vs the GSI 109??).

Cost of Honda stuff and cost of Vauxhall stuff.

And no, its not a rubbish comparison at all. Its just your on the loosing hand so the toys are coming out

I dont think u can argue that point seeing as people both XE and Vtec Minis which probably has the smallest engine bay for a car.
Adam_B

20th Jan 09 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im pretty sure you dont just drop either engine into a mini though, much more work involved than just changing engine mounts....
Corsa_Sport21

20th Jan 09 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but thst goes for any other car that has a C20XE transplanted.Mounts and shafts are going to have to be custom made.Just like they would for a Honda engine in another car.

The reason most folk go for the XE isnt down to the fact its an easy conversion.IMO its due to the fact its a good all round engine.Plenty low down torque,and a well matched bhp/torque figure.
Most low budget motorsport cars run XE engines for a reason.And the majority of converted kit cars run the XE.Even stock cars run the XE,not to mention Autograss and probably alot of hill climb cars.
SAL
Premium Member

20th Jan 09 at 12:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hva you thought about a clio cup ?
corsacalvin

20th Jan 09 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right people est drove both this afternoon & my verdict is .....they are both good in there own ways but the type r just had it for me..the raw power it makes at top end is unbelieveable n the handling is spot on..with a mani,decat n exhaust it would be a very quick car imo,, the astra nice & comfy,& as the instant pic up i liked but jus seems 2 die out after 6.5 - 7k where the ctr jus pulls n the sound ,,so if i can find a gd type r i snap it up n like some 1 said the gearbox is slick

[Edited on 20-01-2009 by corsacalvin]
Nic Barnes

20th Jan 09 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR

losing what though? i dont really understand what you mean?

it is a rubbish comparrison. a fair one would be a honda 2.0 16v engine from 1986.

i have no toys daimo. i already said id buy the honda as from my time driving such cars i found the ctr to be a cracker.

seems you just want to quote people to cause an argument. i dont want to argue with anyone. can we be friends please daimo?

[Edited on 20-01-2009 by Nic Barnes]
gavin18787
Premium Member

20th Jan 09 at 19:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsacalvin
right people est drove both this afternoon & my verdict is .....they are both good in there own ways but the type r just had it for me..the raw power it makes at top end is unbelieveable n the handling is spot on..with a mani,decat n exhaust it would be a very quick car imo,, the astra nice & comfy,& as the instant pic up i liked but jus seems 2 die out after 6.5 - 7k where the ctr jus pulls n the sound ,,so if i can find a gd type r i snap it up n like some 1 said the gearbox is slick

You are spoilt for choice at the moment mate as there are loads for sale

Check out the buyers guide etc on here http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum

Yer and as you say a couple of simple mods and a remap and your on your way to 220bhp and a shed load more midrange power

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
flybikeslee

20th Jan 09 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good choice
mk4_astra

20th Jan 09 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

good man, you test drove both and picked what YOU liked did you drive the ctr on various roads and conditions etc though. as you might have been enjoying the car to much to take into consideration they arent everybodys ideal motorway car.

i know how you feel though, i still remember how much i loved a ride in a 30th anni red ctr when they first came out
big eck

20th Jan 09 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good choice mate, the gearbox is slick but watch out for the 2nd gear crunch
corsacalvin

20th Jan 09 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mk4_astra
quote:

good man, you test drove both and picked what YOU liked did you drive the ctr on various roads and conditions etc though. as you might have been enjoying the car to much to take into consideration they arent everybodys ideal motorway car.

i know how you feel though, i still remember how much i loved a ride in a 30th anni red ctr when they first came out

yea m8 took it out down a few lanes down by my house was suprised how good they actually handle for the size they are,,a set of springs n that would sort it out i reckon

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » astra coupe turbo or civic type r 24 database queries in 0.0116191 seconds