corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » So fast it hertz!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author So fast it hertz!
BluKoo

User status: Offline
11th Feb 09 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As some of you will know, my cousin is involved in hillclimbing, and a while ago, he was asked to get involved with a new project.

BRM (British Racing Motors) and Beeautomobiles have asked him to help develop, and then race a new type of hillclimb car. An electric one.
It will be the first of its kind in the world.

If you think the name BRM rings a bell, then this will be why:
BRM is a previous winner of the F1 world Drivers and Constructors championships and a total of 17 F1 Grand Prix’s, with Graham Hill and Sir Jackie Stewart as two of the winning drivers.
(They're also responsible for those bloody awful Rover 200s with the orange grill)

"Designed by a team accustomed to winning Formula 1 Grand Prix, the BRM Bee Four ERV is the ultimate Electric Racing Vehicle. Designed to win races and show how motor sport can be fast, quiet and green the BRM Bee Four ERV can achieve a top speed of 250 mph.

This is a rough render of what it will look like.

As you can see, its similar to an F1 car, but because it has no engine too cool, there is no need for side pods. Therefore making the car more aero-dynamic.

The engine it will use is the same as the engine on this electric drag bike. Except, there will be two of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVv0NVLFPig

One engine will controll the front two wheels, and the other will controll the rears. This also makes it the first 4WD car of its type. God knows what the 0-100 time will be.

The car is scheduled to be completed and raced in 2010, and i can't wait to see it in action.

Heres a link for more reading if anyone is actually interested
http://electricracing.dnsalias.com/index.htm

[Edited on 11-02-2009 by BluKoo]
Neo

11th Feb 09 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now thats very
CorsAsh

11th Feb 09 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks impressive, but motorsport, quiet, and green just don't belong together.

Half the excitement is in the noise and smell of the event.
*JonnyG*

11th Feb 09 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BluKoo

11th Feb 09 at 00:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
Looks impressive, but motorsport, quiet, and green just don't belong together.

Half the excitement is in the noise and smell of the event.

That is true, and its a long way off his current car.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Graeme-Wight-Junior-F_17818.htm
Its probably the most amazing sounding hillclimb car around at the moment

This seems to be a "look at what we can do" project.
I can't see him staying with this team. He's too much of a petrolhead.

I'm more excited about the launch of this car because he's basically got another invite to race at the Goodwood Festival Of Speed again.
Last time he raced down there, he set the fastest time of the weekend (beating a few F1 drivers in their current cars), and more importantly, we got VIP passes into the paddock and drivers area were i met JK, David Coulthard and Murray Walker
I'm looking forward to going down again

slash

11th Feb 09 at 01:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wont be fast at all
Butler

11th Feb 09 at 03:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im almost got annoyed with the line starting 'If you think the name BRM rings a bell, then this will be why:', never felt so patronised in all my life
Mattb

11th Feb 09 at 07:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by slash
wont be fast at all

why do you say that
Ellis

11th Feb 09 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would be a cool project to be involved with
DaveyLC

11th Feb 09 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its got no wishbones?
Tom

11th Feb 09 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That vid 125 in

Have to agree with Ash, motorsport is all about the noise and the smell!!
Tom

11th Feb 09 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that your cousin driving the arrows btw, if so he's awesome!
Paul_J

11th Feb 09 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
wont be fast at all

I disagree...

The pure torque from electric motors thrash the hell out of petrol.

I think an electric car is ideal for hill climbing... Short duration runs (means no need to last a long time) and a need of a lot of torque.

I expect it to be v.quick. Hardest bit will be dealing with the weight balance.
_Allan_

11th Feb 09 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
wont be fast at all

You have seen the Telsa on Top Gear recently?. Electric cars have come a long long way. With 2 engines, a decent battery source, lightweight chassis etc... I'd expect it to be rapid.

[Edited on 11-02-2009 by _Allan_]
Daimo B

11th Feb 09 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Electric cars suck. Fact.

Sure they have instant torque, no gears to worry about etc..

but they are still fundimentally run by batteries.

Now remove your laptop battery and see how heavy it is for such a small item.

Now put 4000 of them together..... More weight than an engine and full tank of fuel.

Sorry but electric cars suck, as the electricity still has to come from a natural resource. So instead of creating a new technology, all they are doing is shifting the balance from oil to other natural resources.

that hyrdogen car is the way forward. Clean, normal car, normal fillings, no natural resources needed, can be filled up in minutes not hours, doesn't weigh 1 billion tonnes.

Although the above car looks good, probably will go fast, whats the point? Might as well build a petrol car.

Hydrogen is the way forwards. They should look into that instead.
BluKoo

11th Feb 09 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
...but they are still fundimentally run by batteries.

Now put 4000 of them together..... More weight than an engine and full tank of fuel.

Wow, you could not be more wrong.

Yes it will be run by batteries, but since the car only has to do short sprints up a hill, it doesn't need 4000 batteries. It will weigh about the same as his current car (which is lighter than an F1 car). And considdering its 4WD thats something special.

quote:

Although the above car looks good, probably will go fast, whats the point? Might as well build a petrol car.

First of all, this project only has a budget of about half a million, so no where near enough to dabble with the world of hyrodgen fuel cells.

And second of all, becuase it is 4WD, and each of the wheels are powered and controlled by motors, it will be possible to controll each wheel individually. Think what that will do for traction.

Paul_J

11th Feb 09 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
quote:
Originally posted by VXR
...but they are still fundimentally run by batteries.

Yes it will be run by batteries, but since the car only has to do short sprints up a hill, it doesn't need 4000 batteries. It will weigh about the same as his current car (which is lighter than an F1 car). And considdering its 4WD thats something special.

Exactly... As a race car it'd need loads of batteries, but since a run may take a minute or so it doesn't need to carry around enough batteries to do a 80 mile trip.

I do agree though Daimo VXR we shouldn't be looking at electric cars to solve our problems. After all electric cars have to be charged by electricity, which comes from power plants burning fossil fuels and with everyone in an electric car the national grid wouldn't be able to cope with the demand!

However, for this cars purpose, I think it'll be more than capable to compete on hill climbs.
BluKoo

11th Feb 09 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about electricity coming from wind wind turbines, thats totally green, free energy.

In one day, one wind turbine can produce enough energy to light up to 350 homes.

antnee

11th Feb 09 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hydrogen fuel cells are the way foward, if we as car fans can push this technology on and welcome it to the world, then more petrol can be conserved so all the old classic cars can still be run in 30+ years time!
BluKoo

11th Feb 09 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, i agree with that. They really are the way forward, but this thread isn't about hydrogen fueled cars.
Daimo B

11th Feb 09 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

600kg.
Thats fair enough, but 4000 batteries on mild driving gets about 200-250 miles... I know sprintclimbs are only usually 1-2km, buut something to consider.

quote:

First of all, this project only has a budget of about half a million, so no where near enough to dabble with the world of hyrodgen fuel cells.

And second of all, becuase it is 4WD, and each of the wheels are powered and controlled by motors, it will be possible to controll each wheel individually. Think what that will do for traction.

No neeed to get moody. I like the idea, im just saying why electric cars are bad.
BluKoo

11th Feb 09 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What makes u think i was getting moody I was just getting my point across.
FlamingCorsa

11th Feb 09 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like pretty exciting proect, that bike is FAST, looks funny when he is on the start line with no noise ready to go, hehe!

just imagine the grid at an electic formula one race , no car making a noise! hehe
Paul_J

11th Feb 09 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What about electricity coming from wind wind turbines, thats totally green, free energy.

In one day, one wind turbine can produce enough energy to light up to 350 homes.

Cracks me up when 'green' people say that

350 homes is fucking nothing.

To replace coal burning plants with wind turbines the whole country would be covered in them from head to toe!

People seem to forget that currently we don't have cars on charge 12 hours a day outside our houses... IF everyone had an electric car, this would be the case and you'd suddenly have 10 million + 'cars' charging for say 12 hours a day...

Considering we get power cuts when Eastenders comes on due to the increase of power demand by people switching on all their tvs and boiling a cup of tea to watch it, I think these electric cars may be quite a heavy demand increase

Electric cars are fine for the minority, but not for the majority as far as problem solving goes.

As said in the long run look at hydrogen, or if like me you don't believe Global Warming is man made and is just part of the worlds natural cycles then invest in bio fuel.

Once again nothing against your bro racing the electric car, I think it's quite cool.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » So fast it hertz! 23 database queries in 0.3697491 seconds