corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Football - Money, The Premiership, The Lower Leagues & Grassroots

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Football - Money, The Premiership, The Lower Leagues & Grassroots
AndyKent

User status: Offline
13th Feb 09 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by strick206
aPK, yes the owners might be different, but the club is not, and it is the club that takes the point deductions not the owners

Obviously I know this is what happens, but its completely wrong. The people getting fucked over are the fans not those who've done anything wrong as the FA don't want to do anything about it.

As pointed out, 30 point deduction pretty much sealed the clubs future from the start of the season. Can you imagine the uproar if any of the top 4 were deducted 30 points? Yet do the same to a lower league side and nothing gets done about it. Appauling state of affairs.
Nath

13th Feb 09 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who were they punishing with the 30 points?

The fans. What did the fans have to do with the wrong doings of people who have LEFT Luton. Who had LEFT Luton with £13,000,000 and no future.

It's wrong. Why should I be forced to watch Conference football because of what soembody who has no ties to Luton has done?!!
Nath

13th Feb 09 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And also, what did Luton get out of this? The authorities say it's to stop teams almost munipulating the system. But how did we benefit from anything they did? We didn't. So whats the point in the heavy points deductions?!

Makes me angry.

[Edited on 13-02-2009 by Nath]
Cosmo

13th Feb 09 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Originally posted by aPk
What gets me is why the FA in their wisdom deduct points when you go into administration - talk about kicking you when you're down.

Its to try and prevent people doing a Leeds, i.e. spending way above their means and taking stupid risks, declaring themselves bankrupt and then starting again. By knocking off points it makes starting again that much harder, and makes it more fair on the clubs around who have done things by the book and how they should.

Doesn't work.

Take us for example. They punished us by the same means, even though the guilty trio left weeks before. If we had the same owners who had done the dirty, then yeah, punish us/them. But something needs to change when new people are in place, and have to take on the burden on minus points, when it wasn't down to them. Yeah the new guys knew what they were taking on, but they presented a 170 page document to the FA and FL documenting our unique case. What happened? A more severe punishment then everybdy else!!!

The FL claim to be protecting the integrity of the Lague. Fuck off!!! The rules are shit and need to be changed.

I blame Leicester, they started this mess RE: points reduction.

It must work - or every club in the league would be doing it.

The fact is its there as a deterrant to make the league a more level playing field where you all spend within your means, not spending way over budget in the hope you move up and cover the costs.
Nath

13th Feb 09 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We did spend within our means. But then our ex owners stopped paying stuff, and right before they fled handed out massive contracts, knowing they'd be sending us into meltdown whilst they were living it up somehwere else. Why do they not get punished? If I robbed a bank I'd be in trouble, not the next man who walks through the door. We got slapped with massive sanctions, and 40 points wrth of deductions over 2 years. They got a slap on the wrist. Is that fair? Is that fair on the thousands of Luton fans?

It might work in general, but then why isn't every case reviewed on merit when each case is quite clearly different?

It's not a case of, 'oh well, you spent too much money, here's a points deduction'.

Our case is unique, yet got looked at the same as the next one. Where's the fairness in that? How are the FL 'protecting the integrity of it's members' by not doing the unique reviews for each case?

You reckon this system of punishment works fine? Because I don't. Nobody does. Anybody who says it does doesn't get it.

[Edited on 13-02-2009 by Nath]
Cosmo

13th Feb 09 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why should they be punished? Did they do anything illegal? Unethical maybe, but Im not sure it was anything illegal - and if it was then I agree they should be punished outside of the football arena.

At the end of the day, they have got to put a set rule in place somehow to act as a deterrant, whether its to prevent over spending or to encourage proper accounting.

Im not going to go into all the Luton facts as I dont know them, but youd guess that given the amount of info was passed between the new owners and the FA, and then the punishment given out that their was more to the figures than whats really known.
Nath

13th Feb 09 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, the efforts our new owners have made to be sustainable are huge. Cut the wage bill from £5million (for a League 2 club ) to £1.2million.

Put your POV across on or messageboard if you like, there are plenty more people on there who'd probably be able to put my point across better than I can.
Cosmo

13th Feb 09 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My view isnt directed towards the Luton case specifically - my view is WHY the ruling is there in the first place.
Nath

13th Feb 09 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Why should they be punished? Did they do anything illegal? Unethical maybe, but Im not sure it was anything illegal - and if it was then I agree they should be punished outside of the football arena.

At the end of the day, they have got to put a set rule in place somehow to act as a deterrant, whether its to prevent over spending or to encourage proper accounting.

Im not going to go into all the Luton facts as I dont know them, but youd guess that given the amount of info was passed between the new owners and the FA, and then the punishment given out that their was more to the figures than whats really known.

Yes it was illegal. That's why Mike Newell is sueing them. Again, I'm not ITK about all they did but the uproar on our messageboard from people heading up our fans groups would suggest there is alot I don't know about.

The deterrent is fine, that's not the issue. The issue is the means of punishment, and where punishments should be handed out.

It always falls onto the fans. It's unfair. What makes Luton (the club) guilty when the people making the mess have vanished? Yes you would guess that they'd have done that. The FL didn't review our case at all. But then everyone knows the FA and FL are cunts anyway.
Nath

13th Feb 09 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
My view isnt directed towards the Luton case specifically - my view is WHY the ruling is there in the first place.

I know. But the rules are too vague and too general. Every case is different, therefore the punishments should be different. You can't have guidelines when every case differs.

IMO.

Why were we handed a 20 point deduction, but the other 2 L2 teams only 17?! Who decides that?! Random.
JonnyJ

13th Feb 09 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was pretty much the same as what happened to us Nath, only we were lucky in a sense that this happened to us before the points deductions came into place.

We had a chairmen who didn't care about the club anymore and wanted to cash in on the ground which was worth £4.5m. So he set up a company called BCH and transferred ownership of the ground to that company. Now the club didn't own its own ground, his company did and with that in place he set about sending the club out of business by handing out ridiculous contracts.
Gary Hobson was a player who had told the PFA he was thinking of quitting the game as he had reached his retirement age to him and though there was no other league clubs interested, enter us offering him TWICE the contract he and his agent asked for. This wasn't an isolated thing either.

Now with the club on the brink of administration and going out of business our chairmen put the club up for sale for £1. He got that sale, and now he was free of us and he owned the ground. The club now has no assets (players were worth fuck all) and we were sent into administration. Only a fantastic and monumental effort by the fans saved the club. Yet had the points deductions being in place we would have been deducted points. So despite the fans doing only right WE are the ones who are punished because OUR club is now even worse off.

How is that fair?

Owners, staff, players, coaches and directors come and go but the only ones who will always be there are the fans and they seem to be the ones who get shit on from above. Its ludicrous and thats why, as Nath said, the ruling is just too generalised.

But anyway all this has nothing to do, really, with the topic
AndyKent

13th Feb 09 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And what help did the FA do to help York in your case - Fuck All I imagine.
JonnyJ

13th Feb 09 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, infact they put our chairman on the board to discuss what should be done about the Wimbledon/MK Dons scenario!!!

Genius

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Football - Money, The Premiership, The Lower Leagues & Grassroots 24 database queries in 0.0082781 seconds