corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Throttle Body

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Throttle Body
steven_r2008

User status: Offline
   12th Mar 09 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi all

i am thinking of tb'in my x14xe up, jus wondering, what throttle bodys are best to use and also can someone make a complete list of what i would need to get these installed on my engine? and also best way to get them running correctly

and where exactly do they bolt onto? the lower intake manifold or completely remove intake manifold and need adaptor for them?

much appreciated

[Edited on 12-03-2009 by steven_r2008]
steven_r2008

12th Mar 09 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also, have been looking at jenvey throttle bodys and ones from bikes if that helps?
--ToM--

13th Mar 09 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jenves are good, reprofiled cams with adjustable pullys and stand alone management will be a good idea to get it fueling right gonna be expensive
Ste
Premium Member

13th Mar 09 at 00:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have a spare £2000 then I'll bother writing a list. If this is just a dream, then I haven't got the time. It is cheaper to fit a bigger engine tbh.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
steven_r2008

13th Mar 09 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
If you have a spare £2000 then I'll bother writing a list. If this is just a dream, then I haven't got the time. It is cheaper to fit a bigger engine tbh.

2k! wow, bit more to them than i was initially thinking then i was thinking more on the singe of 1 - 1.5k

i knew there would be a remap involved somwhere, then there is the price of the bodys, i was thinking maybe corsa vxr injectors and a power boost valve but i really did not imagine it would cost me 2k

could some1 please tell me where my thoughts were wrong as i really LOVE the sound of these and i can just imagine the smile on my face on the way to work every morning when the car gets a bit of throat clearin

[Edited on 13-03-2009 by steven_r2008]
gez bay

13th Mar 09 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can get them done for 1.5k, plenty of second hand throttle bodies lying around
--ToM--

13th Mar 09 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stand alone management is expensive as are cams
steven_r2008

13th Mar 09 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so is it essential to have cams and a stand alone management?
Ste
Premium Member

13th Mar 09 at 18:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need the cams so you can modify the opening and closing of the valves to match the extra fuel and air. It makes sense really, To get more power, you need more fuel/air mixture, this means unless you have forced induction(turbo etc) then you need to open the valves for longer. In order to do this, you should really have modified pistons so that they cannot touch the valves. To modify the timing of the cams and therefore the valves you need avernier pully. So far we are up to about £1K

Then you need the tb's. A decent second hand set will cost you no less than £500.

Total So far £1500

Then you need magement, New, £1000, second hand £500 including the loom. You will need a new fuel pump able to supply the extra fuel the tb's need.

To be on the safe side, you should fit ARB bolts in the bottom end as the extra torque can stress the standard bolts. If these break it is new engine time.

These are about £70.

Then you need an hour or two on the rollers with an experienced tuner to set everything up. This will be about £200 per hour.

So in reality, to do the job properly, £2000 is very cheap. I suspect you would need closer to £3000. Yes, you can skimp and miss a few bits out. But, it will cost you in the long run.

quote:
so is it essential to have cams and a stand alone management?

YES. They are more important than the tb's, you will gain more bhp by fitting them to a standard engine than just tb's alone.

It appears to me that you are more interested in the sound than the performance gains.

What about twin 40 carbs? You get a similar bark and cost half the amount.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.

New Poll