corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » quitting your job/handing in notice advice

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author quitting your job/handing in notice advice
StuartVRS

User status: Offline
15th Mar 09 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have been offered a stable job which i have accepted, and seeing as my current work was reduced from 5 days to 3 days a week, had no alternative. Thing is, i want to give 1 week maximum notice ( Our working week is Mon-Fri and ill hand my notice in at 8am tomorrow to leave friday 4pm latest) I have no written contract of employment so nothing states what notice i have to give. Can i do this? Or anyone have any advice on doing this? I have never handed in notice before so its all new to me
colour_golden

15th Mar 09 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont see why not but i can see them being shitty about your last pay packet.
Colin

15th Mar 09 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If youve no contract then technically you've not agreed to give notice.

Theres websites you can get a stndard letter off to hand over if you want to do it the right way though.
StuartVRS

15th Mar 09 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd give more, but my boss is a tosser, as said we all got reduced to 3 day weeks. His mate who works there is getting 5 day weeks still, so is screwing us all over. Cant see them messing me about with final pay cheque, i could cause so many problems for them as they refuse lunch breaks/run machines without safety guards/break more health and safety rules than anyone can imagine/have tv's and use them without licencing. That and i have 2 sets of keys to the building

Paul_J

15th Mar 09 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you sure you never signed a contract?

how long you been working there? can't believe any company would employ someone permanently without getting them to sign a contract.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

15th Mar 09 at 18:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wrote a letter or resignation asking them to waiver my 4 weeks notice as I and new employer wanted me to start ASAP so basically said I was leaving on the Friday, gave them letter on the Wed!

Shit hit the fan but was allowed to go, but if I hadn't left on that date the job would have been offered to someone else as they needed cover immediately

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
dannymccann

15th Mar 09 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ball's in their court then

As said though, as you have no contract you are actually doing more than necessary by giving a week
StuartVRS

15th Mar 09 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul, i have been there 9 years mate and never signed a contract. Its Print finishing, never been asked to sign anything at all for them apart from my written warning for going awol 7 years ago
mwg

15th Mar 09 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they have cut your hours for cost cutting then they might be glad for you to leave with shorter notice. Its gonna save them money isn't it
StuartVRS

15th Mar 09 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty G
If they have cut your hours for cost cutting then they might be glad for you to leave with shorter notice. Its gonna save them money isn't it

This could be a good argument should they moan, that had not crossed my mind, cheers
Kerry

15th Mar 09 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The worst that can happen is they can take you to court for breach of contract but if you say you have never signed one then no worries. And they are highly unlikely to go to the hassle and expense of taking you to court either
taylorboosh

15th Mar 09 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just say to them, look ive been offered a stable job and tbh if you have been a decent employee then i would suspect they will try and accomodate you
Matt L

15th Mar 09 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as for the time you need to give them unless otherwise stated in a contract it is the how long between pay days i though ie i have to give a months notice but when i worked in argos it was only a weeks notice as we were paid weekly.

but by the sounds of it id just get a letter done stating that you intend to finish on friday at 4. and if they do kick up a fuss then let the relevant people know about the laws they are breaking.
Andrew

15th Mar 09 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You really should try and leave on good terms just incase you need to go back at any point or if things pick up there as they may offer you the job back on better pay.

I left after being made redundant on good terms and still in touch with our manager. I could have been an arse and gave her my thoughts but at the end of the day the decision had been made. She has been good though and calls and e-mails a few times per week. Even put me forward for a role at the company her husband works for.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » quitting your job/handing in notice advice 24 database queries in 0.0093591 seconds