corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Book Day : Marching Powder

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Book Day : Marching Powder
Marc

User status: Offline
23rd Mar 09 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone read it? Just bought it.

Marching Powder is the story of Thomas McFadden, a small-time English drug smuggler who was arrested in Bolivia and thrown inside the notorious San Pedro prison. He found himself in a bizarre world, the prison reflecting all that is wrong with South American society. Prisoners have to pay an entrance fee and buy their own cells (the alternative is to sleep outside and die of exposure), prisoners' wives and children often live inside too, high quality cocaine is manufactured and sold from the prison, and all the police from the governor downwards can be bribed. Under the surface is a frightening level of violence - Thomas's life was often in danger and one of his friends was murdered by the police when he threatened to expose the corruption in the prison. Thomas ended up making a living by giving backpackers tours of the prison - he became a fixture on the backpacking circuit and was named in the Lonely Planet guide to Bolivia. When he was told that for a bribe of USD5000 his sentence could be overturned, it was the many backpackers who'd passed through who sent him the money. Sometimes shocking, sometimes funny, Marching Powder is an always riveting story of survival.
Danny P

23rd Mar 09 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've read it.

Good book.
DannyB
Premium Member

23rd Mar 09 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds good that, I love anything like this. I'm going to see if it's on eGay, I'll probably give it a whirl.
Marc

23rd Mar 09 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I managed to find a first edition too
Hammer

23rd Mar 09 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like the sound of it, do us a book club review when you've finished reading it Marcus.
DannyB
Premium Member

23rd Mar 09 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm currently reading Mark 'Chopper' Reids books, I'm half way through book 3 out of 9, brilliant books.
Marc

23rd Mar 09 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Like the sound of it, do us a book club review when you've finished reading it Marcus.

Book Day?
redhotpanther

23rd Mar 09 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have this book and it is awesome!

A very eye opening yet bizzare story.
MatthewR

24th Mar 09 at 03:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

read The Ice Man, confessions of a contract killer

Awesome read

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Book Day : Marching Powder 23 database queries in 0.1073170 seconds