corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike Day: Insurance... there 'avin a giraffe!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike Day: Insurance... there 'avin a giraffe!!
PaulW

User status: Offline
5th Apr 09 at 03:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My renewal is up in just over a month, so I'm doing a few online quotes (as you do) to gauge how much it will be...

Now, last year I paid the grand total of £87 with Bennetts for cover on my CG, having just done my CBT. Only TPFT mind, but was upto 6000 miles, and covered the panniers too. Worth noting I'm 27, been driving since 2000, no accidents or claims on either bike or car since ever, and currently have 6 points. SP50 in 2005, and SP30 in 2007), so its not like I can blame it on getting points or anything else between now and then.

Now, 12 months down the line, I have 1 years NCB on the Bike... Quotes are ranging from £110+, and thats without adding the Panniers in!! With them, prices sky rocket (and I'm not joking here) going upto £10009!!!!!

Bennetts are even quoting online £148 now...

Bloody ridiculous!! I can't wait to see what the actual renewal cost is when the letter arrives... I know they always try it on when it comes to renewal (my car insurance is usually always £300 more than quotes elsewhere)

Just to show, here is the £10009 quote...

madness!!!!
Mobby

5th Apr 09 at 03:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MCE = Good motorbike insurers
Graham88

5th Apr 09 at 03:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was with MCE and they were decent.

Pmsl at 10k
dannymccann

5th Apr 09 at 06:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im currently with MCE, but im 21 just after my CBT and with my RS125 I pay £300 for the year, incl legal cover and breakdown, so the TPFT insurance is probably £230/£240? I didnt think that was too bad tbh, considering the bike is one that likes to go walkies
richc

5th Apr 09 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going with MCE when i get my FZR on the road.

Fully comp, 19 (just) with one years bike no claims bonus and one on the car its £330. And its a grey import so that tends to bump up the price!
Bonney

5th Apr 09 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try these. They where giving me the best quotes on the bikes was looking at.

The Bike Insurer.

_Allan_

5th Apr 09 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty sure the 10K quote is just to put you off as I'm sure I remember reading by law they have to give you a quote. They probably don't want your business due to criteria hence the large quote. I've had that in the past

Had quite a few policies with MCE. They are good

[Edited on 05-04-2009 by _Allan_]
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Apr 09 at 12:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They don't want you business. That is all. It's a mathematical way of discouraging purchase.
Kano

5th Apr 09 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

H & R insurance.. Guarantee you wont get it cheaper than them.. They save me well over £200 to the next best quote..
Bram

5th Apr 09 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm stuggling with mine at the mo. My Aprilia RS insurance runs until July but I want to swap the policy over to my R6. Rang up to change but they can't insure me on the R6 so now have to take out a new policy on the R6 with 0 NCB but in July I'll have a year
PaulW

5th Apr 09 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well TheBikeInsurer are the same as swiftcover, so tried them both anyways... Same prices.

Cheapest was £78.75 with those, but they have no option to add modifications (so can't add the Panniers), £300 excess (not great) but still, its £10 down on last year...

I'll start ringing about over the next few weeks and get it sorted (and hopefully cheaper still) for the 1st of May when renewal is.
aewajd

5th Apr 09 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can understand it being £10k,your from liverpool.
Graham88

5th Apr 09 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bram
I'm stuggling with mine at the mo. My Aprilia RS insurance runs until July but I want to swap the policy over to my R6. Rang up to change but they can't insure me on the R6 so now have to take out a new policy on the R6 with 0 NCB but in July I'll have a year

That's a cunt

I did the same on my VFR400. I had a moped, was amateur with knowing about insurance or anything, had a month to go before a years no claims and they started a new policy instead of transferring it, cunts.
Russ

5th Apr 09 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ring the 10k one and play them up
SVM 286

5th Apr 09 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ten grand!

Phone em and ask if the decimal point was in the wrong place.
Kano

5th Apr 09 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
Well TheBikeInsurer are the same as swiftcover, so tried them both anyways... Same prices.

Cheapest was £78.75 with those, but they have no option to add modifications (so can't add the Panniers), £300 excess (not great) but still, its £10 down on last year...

I'll start ringing about over the next few weeks and get it sorted (and hopefully cheaper still) for the 1st of May when renewal is.

If you phone up the company thats cheapest I'm sure they'll add the panniers on for you.. By the way does a CG125 move with panniers?

Did some of my training on one of them, was ringing its neck all day..
Matt.H

5th Apr 09 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol...what is it with insurance companies. I reckon they have a tomboller with loads of randoms prices. I pick my new bike up 2moro and went on Motorcycle Direct for some quote. Only 2 came up and this is what mine came up with

Daimo B

6th Apr 09 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Harsh

Try Hasting Direct as well. Good service, quick and responsive when had accidents. Cheap quotes.

Check policy lets you ride other bikes though as I found mine didn't, after a 150 mile trip on the old mans bike
richc

6th Apr 09 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Check policy lets you ride other bikes though as I found mine didn't, after a 150 mile trip on the old mans bike

. This happens loads, and due to the fact you being an adult male, fully coverd up in gear, the chances of you getting caught are pretty much nil!
Kano

6th Apr 09 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc
quote:
Originally posted by VXR

. This happens loads, and due to the fact you being an adult male, fully coverd up in gear, the chances of you getting caught are pretty much nil!

Unless you get stopped, crash or go through a speed camera...
Graham88

6th Apr 09 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been stopped loads of times on my bike...mainly due to going to fast, admittedly
richc

6th Apr 09 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kano
quote:
Originally posted by richc
quote:
Originally posted by VXR

Unless you get stopped, crash or go through a speed camera...

Yes but i was talking riding sensibly. They wouldnt stop you if they came up behind you, see the bike is fully insured, mot, taxed etc.

PaulW

7th Apr 09 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the Bennetts renewal letter came through, £136.75 And the excess is now £350...

So, either DirectChoice or the AA which are now coming up trumps. Both quoting £78.75 with a £300 excess. 6k miles, both cover the accessories. Only thing missing is EU cover, but its not likely I'll be doing that on the CG

So, which is best to deal with... AA or DirectChoice?? The underwriter is the same (NIG Trophy)...

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike Day: Insurance... there 'avin a giraffe!! 23 database queries in 0.0175490 seconds