corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Sky is slowing my internet

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sky is slowing my internet
Cavey

User status: Offline
7th Apr 09 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had Sky installed a month or so ago and my internet has been relatively crap since then (2.5mb on a supposed 10mb line), so i finally decided to try something.

So I unplugged the sky phone connectors and plugged my O2 filters straight into the BT socket, bypassing the sky phone connectors, and my connection is 4 times faster (10mb now) BUT You have to have the phone line in for Sky, how do i get round this?

Can't plug the sky connector into the microfilter because the ADSL cable is in the way...

Any ideas?
Cavey

7th Apr 09 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, I have emailed Sky cutomer support, and waiting for a reply, was just wondering if anyone else on here had had this problem
Cosmo

7th Apr 09 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I havent had my Sky plugged int the phoneline since the day I got it (unless I want anything PPV) and have had no problems!
John

7th Apr 09 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll be the microfilter.

I've never had sky plugged into the phoneline, including HD and never heard anything, loads of people get letters and fines though.
chris_uk
Premium Member

7th Apr 09 at 16:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just ring them, but be prepared to speak to the philipiens (sp)

chris_uk
Premium Member

7th Apr 09 at 16:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

I've never had sky plugged into the phoneline, including HD and never heard anything, loads of people get letters and fines though.

just check your bills as normally you should get a couple letters then nothing, but they will charge you a percentage of your contract.

Cavey

7th Apr 09 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The sky microfilter?

The O2 one's for the internet work fine when connected straight into the phone line, it's only when i go through the Sky thing that it screws up.

I was wondering what the phone connection was needed for, does Anytime go through that or is it through the dish same as everything else?
John

7th Apr 09 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The sky box should be plugged into some sort of micrfilter.

If they have charged me they've done it covertly enough for not even my mum to notice chris, they haven't as far as I know anyway.
Cavey

7th Apr 09 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, so the sky microfilter, not my internet one, I've asked them if it'll be a problem with that filter, so i'll hopefully be able to get another one sent through.
John

7th Apr 09 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any filter, swap the 2 about and see if that makes a difference.
Cavey

7th Apr 09 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In which case, i guess it's the sky filter then, and i can't plug that into the o2 filter because of the way it's connected.

the adsl wire is in the way of the sky filter. stupid things. Hopefully i'll get a reply from Sky and they'll send another filter then.
John

7th Apr 09 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just leave it unplugged.

If they do send a letter tell them it's breaking your internet.
Cavey

7th Apr 09 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, so what is the Sky phone connection for then? Interactive services and PPV stuff? That it?

I'll only be giving it a few days anyway, like I say hopefully they'll sort out a new filter.
Cavey

7th Apr 09 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like it's hardly used for anything, so i'll go with disconneting it then, and having the internet back to 10mb as it should be.
_Allan_

7th Apr 09 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm guessing sky have terminated the cable with a multiplug so you can have another phone connected as well?. If so just cut the cable and go to maplins and get an BT plug with crimp tool. It's usually 4 wires inside. You can then plug your sky cable in a standard microfilter and into your socket

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=8912&doy=7m4&C=SO&U=strat15

[Edited on 07-04-2009 by _Allan_]
Andrew

7th Apr 09 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

That would be the first point of call. Sky installation guy fucked mine up when he came out.

I have an extension that runs to one of the bedrooms where the router is and he installed another extension to where the Sky box goes. He's removed the microfilter from the main socket when the main phone base lives and put that Microfilter on the end of the extension for Sky box. Anoying as i had to go out and purchase another filter. However, that could have been done to someone like my old man who can't bend down to check what a installation engineer had done.
Cavey

7th Apr 09 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, that's exactly what's happened, thanks guys. I'll stick with just unplugging sky for now.

Just need to find a stable channel for my wireless now, computer keeps disconnecting from the internet. Piece of shit
ash_corsa

7th Apr 09 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You DO get charged for not plugging your box in within the first 12months of your contract. We got charged numerous times when we unplugged it as it wasnt practical to have an extension trailing around the living room, this only happened when we had multiroom installed though.

They soon refunded the charges when we threatened to leave though!

They like to know that the box is installed at the bill payers address as you could get multiroom and give the extra sky box to your neighbour/mate etc.. and they would get sky for £10 a month!
Sam
Premium Member

8th Apr 09 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I had Sky back when I was living at home, the only time I ever had to have the phone lead plugged in from the Sky box was a. when it was installed (took it out when the guy left) and b. when I upgraded my package (so that my Sky card could be updated). Otherwise, never been connected since.
John

8th Apr 09 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ash_corsa
You DO get charged

Not everybody does, I haven't been, Cosmo hasn't been.

None of the boxes in my house have been plugged in since the sky engineer walked out the door.
Ren

9th Apr 09 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nor me. I've had it unplugged for years.

New Poll