corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Photography A-Level

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Photography A-Level
James

User status: Offline
13th Apr 09 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone done it? I'd like to learn more about photography and thought why not get an A-Level out of it at the same time.

Only thing that concerns me is that I don't really want to have to do loads of theory etc. I just want to be able to take half decent photos.
Rob E

13th Apr 09 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It might be worth looking at Open University mate, they offer a beginers course on photography. I also contacted my local collage who ran evening classes with a professional photographer/lecturer
Graham88

13th Apr 09 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a camera and just teach yourself, that's what I've done.

Joys of digital cameras, trial and error.
Jambo

13th Apr 09 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have one, recommend what Graham said tbh
James

13th Apr 09 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough.

Already have a Digital SLR.

Any books worth reading?
Paul_J

13th Apr 09 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
i have one, recommend what Graham said tbh

You have a photography A-Level? yet you take such crap pics of your cars?

(joke... just from what we discussing the other day about struggling to take good pics of your car. I'm surprised).
Jambo

13th Apr 09 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because i learnt to take pictures with real film paul. I dont have a digital slr so pics are usually off my phone

Plus im lazy Paul
wilson_sri

13th Apr 09 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I start a HNC/D in photography in September. Had my interview two weeks ago and got a letter on Frideay to say id been accepted. Well chuffed!

When i was looking at the courses, the college ran a Access o photograpy or a NQ in photography part time. Need to check your local ones to see if they do it though.
Graham88

13th Apr 09 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
Fair enough.

Already have a Digital SLR.

Any books worth reading?

I'd imagine there are books to read, but I learnt really from just taking pictures and posting up for responses.

Talk Photopgraphy is ok, but I find even pictures I think look absolutely perfect get bad things pointed out about them, so take it all with a pinch of salt.

But take pictures in lots of different settings, then when you get home look at what setting worked best and adapt that if you ever find yourself in a similar situation
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Apr 09 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most colleges will have evening classes that are run by the same staff but which don't necessarily work towards a qualification. This makes them cheaper and less focussed (!) on paperwork and theory.
xa0s
Banned

15th Apr 09 at 03:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest, I started with compact cameras but never understood any of the settings. My mum then got a 400D bought for her when they first came out and also had no-idea of the settings. Scared me silly, as it looked so complicated. Kept trying different thing and began to realise what settings did what, and if there was anything that I didn't know I'd just Google it and find out. I now understand every setting on my 450D and I'm crying out for more professional body as I feel I've hit the limit of the 450D now. I'd love more FPS and a higher ISO range.

I'd just go out and have a play, if you struggle with anything, just refer to your manual or Google it. It takes time to take it all in.
Tom_Coe

15th Apr 09 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did A level photography at sixth form and although it was a real eye opener and made me realise that photography was something i wanted to persue I also feel it was a poor course, the course was a lot if coursework which had a weeks worth of exam at the end, we never learnt anything technical and alot of the work was done with compact camera's so we never learnt the in's and out's of a dslr, I'd suggest and evening class to help you learn you're way around a dslr first if you wanted some help, but if not then as everyone says the best way is to go out and to have a play around with you're manual with you. Good luck with it all though mate.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Photography A-Level 24 database queries in 0.0089481 seconds