corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Engine Date????

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Engine Date????
Adamcorsaredtop

User status: Offline
   15th Apr 09 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey well i was working on my engine today and found these numbers on the exhaust manifold side at the bottom printed on the block, just wondering is this the date it was actually made?? it says 07.05.90 i think its a 05 cant remember lol can any one help because this will be awsome to know due to im thinking bout taking the cat off

Adamcorsaredtop

15th Apr 09 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone??
Daveskater
Premium Member

15th Apr 09 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What year was the car made?

I saw a thing on the bottom of mine the other day (on the bottom of the sump) that said 99, and it was a thing usually used to show dates. Don't know what it's called otherwise I'd google for a pic

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
alan-g-w

15th Apr 09 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If, by looking at your name, it's a c/20xe, if you take the oil cap off and look at one of the cam saddles under it, it has a little circle with a number in it. That's the year your engine was made.
.dean.

15th Apr 09 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
If, by looking at your name, it's a c/20xe, if you take the oil cap off and look at one of the cam saddles under it, it has a little circle with a number in it. That's the year your engine was made.

that was the year the head was made,
alan-g-w

15th Apr 09 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by .dean.
quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w

that was the year the head was made,

I've read somewhere it tells you the year of the complete engine I thought.

Feck it.
.dean.

15th Apr 09 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a gud idea but think of how many redtops have new has one, due to buy coscast or chaning worped heads
Ste
Premium Member

15th Apr 09 at 23:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is no way to date a redtop block from looking at it. There is a guy from GM headquarters that will 'try' and get a date from the engine number. They charge £100 with no guarantees and no refunds.
The c20xe was replaced before 95 by the ecotec so technically no xe 'needs' a cat. Some had a cat but is isn't mandatory.

Looking in the oil cap gives the age of the head but if you aren't 100% it is the original head then there really isn't anyother way.

This has been a major head ache for kit car owners who need proof of the engine age for SVA. My tester just took my word for it's age. I'm a lucky one!

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
alan-g-w

16th Apr 09 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

XE's made after 1992 would need a cat, seeing as they were a legal requirement from then on.

Another thing that I've heard (that's probably bullshit as well) is that a 20xe from an astra GTE for example doesn't need a cat, but the C in c20xe stands for it having a cat.
DaveyLC

16th Apr 09 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The first letter is to do with emissions reg's.. C was the first EURO regs I believe.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Engine Date???? 24 database queries in 0.0056670 seconds