corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Went to see FC Union Berlin on Saturday

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Went to see FC Union Berlin on Saturday
Danny P

User status: Offline
27th Apr 09 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went to Berlin over the weekend and thought it would be rude not to take a game while over there, especially as I was missing the Town game :'(

What a totally different experience to attending Football in England. Everything is so much more relaxed over there, and you can pretty much do what you want once your inside the Stadium. You have no hastle from Stewards, Police or anything like that, you just find a seat, and in front of it. Yes thats right, stand not sit. If you do sit, folk look at you like your an idiot

Kick Off was at 2pm, and we got up to the ground at 12:30ish. Outside was a big park, the sun was shining and everyone was sat round having a few beers on the grass. There were even a couple of BBQ's going on and the mood was very relaxed. We made our way to the ticket office and bought out ticket, a mesley 9 Euro's. Even with the shit exchange rate thats only £8. Now considering Union play in League 3 (same as League 1 over here) I thought it was fantastic vaule. The stadium was a bowl kind stadium, with one main stand, and a running track round the field. This is the main stand as you come through the turnstyles:

Once inside we got a couple of beers and made our way into the stands (you can take your beer into the stands which is a welcome change from being pushed and shoved behind the Antich, it was also a decent pint an all.) We stood in the block next to Ultra Group so as to get a good feel for the atmosphere. It was still about 30mins to kick off but the section was packed, and the area around us was filling up nicely. The flags were flying and the crowd were singing long before the kick off.

Once the teams ran out the Capo (Captain) of the group jumped up on the fence at the front with a MegaPhone. He then proceeded to whip the crowd into a franzie. There was about 10,000 fans in the stadium, and I'd bet that at least 8,000 of them were singing as the teams ran out onto the field. The noise level was tremendous They have an anthem like Liverpool and as the teams ran out they all held scarfs aloft and belted it out:

Union went 1-0 down quite early on, but that didn’t put anyone off. I never once heard anything negative towards the team from the fans. Everything was encouraging, every tackle brought a massive cheer from the crowd, followed by a song. It really was brilliant. Second half started and Union got on top but were unable to convert any of the chances. If they’d have scored the noise would have been amazing.

This bloke must not have been able to see , so he moved to a better vantage point where he stayed for the remainder of the match

Crowd kept at it but were unable to score and they ended up losing the game 1-0. After the game the players came over to applaud the fans and an almighty song was sung. No idea what it was but everyone, and I mean everyone, joined in.

We then made our way back to train station, and back into the city centre. All the journey the fans were still singing. We got talking to some of the fans and told them about all the health & safety rules we have to put up with in English stadiums and they couldn’t believe it, they thought it was stupid how we cant stand, have a beer and have stewards in the stands to enforce all the rules. They said if they tried that in Germany it would end in riots ;D

I’d love it if it was like that at Town games. Would certainly make for a more enjoyable day out. I strongly advise anyone who loves atmosphere at Football to visit a European match as its something you’ll never get over here. I’ll defiantly be going out there more often after being in that stadium.

If you listern to this video taken from the other side of the ground you can really hear how loud the fans are: FC Union Berlin Fans

[Edited on 27-04-2009 by Danny P]
eddiewhiteley

27th Apr 09 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had you been to berlin before? i was there a couple of years back on me ,mates stag do, loved it, so me and the wife went back january 2008 for 5 days for a proper long weekend. one of my favourite places and will defo go back again at some point.
Danny P

27th Apr 09 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First time we'd been and we had a cracking weekend. Would like to go again though as we just spent 3 days getting pissed and I wouldn't mid having a look at some of the sights an all.
Cosmo

27th Apr 09 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks amazing - I wish we didnt live in such a dictatorship like that...which is strange given Germany's past.
Danny P

27th Apr 09 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was quality. There was even a little mosh pit at one point where everyone just kicked the shit out of each other for about 5mins while singing some song

Shame our authorities cant lighten up a bit, its proven that it works in Germany so I cant see any reason why it couldn't work here. I dont think the FA will ever change its stance on all seater stadia though, plus we dont really have the type of people at Football in this country like they have out there. People are too happy to be told what to do over here by the powers that be so it would take a change in attitude amoungst supporters before anything got done, which I cant see happening.
Ojc

27th Apr 09 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In Germany, the public are treated like adults and are left to be responsible for their own actions.

Not like here, told when to eat, breath & sleep.

If I ever leave my Island nation, it will be for Germany.

I went there in 2003 to see Berlin, I felt safer walking around their capital than I do walking around my local village.

This country is seriously fucking disgusting.
Danny P

27th Apr 09 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
I went there in 2003 to see Berlin, I felt safer walking around their capital than I do walking around my local village.

Same mate.

We went to get the tube on the first night at about 2am and I thought it would be a bit dodgy walking around down there at that time, but i've never felt safer.

Like you say, folk just get on with it over there without any intervention by anyone. Like you, if I were to move out of England i'd certainly consider going to Germany after being there this weekend.
fir3vip3r

27th Apr 09 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some of you forget how much scum is in this country tbh.
Danny P

27th Apr 09 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fir3vip3r

Ojc

28th Apr 09 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Hence the reason for wanting to leave.
JonnyJ

28th Apr 09 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks awesome Danny, the fans in europe really know how to do it. Of course it helps they can get away with doing what they do unlike here in the top leagues where if you momentarily raise out your seat when a chance is on you get ejected and banned for life.

Standing is one reason why i like NL and lower league football so much.

9 Euros to get in as well. Brilliant
Marc

28th Apr 09 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
In Germany, the public are treated like adults and are left to be responsible for their own actions.

If you don't like it fuck off
Robbo

28th Apr 09 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I concur, that kind of thing would never work over here!
nik

28th Apr 09 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

If you don't like it fuck off

What if all law abiding tax paying citizens do actually fuck off? Imagine the UK left with all the gutter snipe and nobody to pay their way

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Went to see FC Union Berlin on Saturday 24 database queries in 0.0144780 seconds