corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Turboing my Corsa B X14XE (Courtenay kit) - Info needed

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Turboing my Corsa B X14XE (Courtenay kit) - Info needed
BoardkilL

User status: Offline
6th May 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, so a little over a year since I first really started looking for a kit (and about 10 since I started thinking about it), I have finally been able to get my hands on a Courtenay turbo kit, with all the bits and pieces. That's what I get for living in Norway, where stuff like this is crazy expensive and just about impossible to get a hold of.

Ended up buying the kit on Ebay, from an english guy.

I'm planning on installing it in about a months time, just have to get some more parts for the engine first.

I am going to order a new clutch, as the one I have now has done almost 150 000 km (close to 100 000 miles), and is more than ready to be replaced by a brand spanking new one. Also going to put in some new piston rings, as it is burning a bit too much oil for my liking. Plus naturally all the related parts you need when pulling out the whole engine and taking it apart. Basically I'll be doing a full overhaul of the engine, just not going for new pistons or valves (at least not this time around).

What I am looking to find out is what kind of boost levels I should run so that I don't blow something in the engine. Also what kind of power gains I can expect from a Courtenay turbo kit on the X14XE.

If anyone knows anything else I need to do to make the engine run well, please let me know.

I'm hoping to do most of the work myself, but luckily I'll have my brother in law, who is a mechanic, close by if I get completely stuck.
Sean-B

6th May 09 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this sounds like a great idea

but i must say if your going to fully rebuild the engine etc and you have waited 10 years to do this, why don't you start with an X16XE
BoardkilL

6th May 09 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't mind, but living in Norway they are damn expensive. Plus I wanted to use my old X14XE, it's been in the car since I bought it brand new in 1999, and has served me well. Plus the few, few people that do anything with Corsas here normally go with the 2 litre upgrade, I wanted to do something different and use the 1.4. Plus, like I said, it's a lot cheaper.

All in all I hope I'll end up at about £2000 for the whole rebuild. Plus all the cost I've had with other stuff I've done to the car. Also, it needs a paintjob, and they are about £2000 as well, if you do all the sanding and stuff yourself. Norway is a bad place to be into cars .
john_c20xe

6th May 09 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most off the engines ive seen conveted by courtney are a bit of a bodge! two head gasket jobbie and a converter standard manifold,
do you know how you are going to lower the compression?
i would run low boost if i was you unless you are going to get low comp pistons?
swill_omnibus

6th May 09 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea go for low comp pistons (wossner or Similar) with uprated components then as your rebuilding it.

Hope to see and hear this running soon
aaronc190

6th May 09 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you could use a decrompresser plate?or proper low compression pistons...id run o.8 of a bar to get started...no point in having a turbo if it has fuck all boost
neilb1

6th May 09 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im going for the compression plate for my turbo doing it on a x16xe engine though because more torque but you will have fun look forward to hearing it go
BoardkilL

26th May 09 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd love to do the whole forged low compression pistons thing, but alas it is a tad too expensive. Unless someone has some laying around for free or extremely cheap, I'll have to save that for later.

I found a decomp kit in germany that should do the trick for now. It was fairly "cheap" too.

Going to try and start the rebuild in two weeks. Took a weeks vacation to do it. Hopefully that will be enough time if I spend all day, every day. Good thing I have the complete service manual on my laptop. I see this a learning experience. Hopefully I won't mess it up too bad, being a tech journo and not a mechanic... If I get really stuck I'll call on my brother in law, the mechanic.

As soon as I get it running I'll make sure to post some HD video on Youtube, maybe even some pics and vid as I go.

Wish me luck.
BoardkilL

26th May 09 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found a place nearby that will do the respray of the car for about £450, if I do all the prep work myself. For Norway that is extremely cheap. And according to NAF (equivalent to RAC) that place is one of the best paint shops in Norway.
AlexW

26th May 09 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds good, im thinking about turboing my X14.

I was told a 2mm spacer was needed to drop the comp enough, and i plan to run about 10psi boost (no idea what that is in bar lol)

Let us know how ya get on.
john_c20xe

26th May 09 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was going to say speak to neilb1 hes doing one

New Poll