corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » uneven tyre wear

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author uneven tyre wear
jibjob

User status: Offline
12th May 09 at 03:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically the inner edge of my tyre is wearing out quicker than the rest of it. the tracking is spot on, none of the lower arms etc are bent and there is no play in the ball joints.
there is a slight camber to the wheel but the otherside is the same and thats fine and its never hit a curb or anything.
its lowered 60mm on springs and shocks.
the hub nut is tight and the drive shaft is located correctly at both ends.
wheels are balanced and straight.

so PLEASE someone tell me what the feck is wrong with it?!
Ste
Premium Member

12th May 09 at 03:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is because it is lowered mate.

Unless you fit adjustable top mounts then you increase negative camber by lowering the car. This will cause you inside of the tyre to wear out faster.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ste
Premium Member

12th May 09 at 03:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Find a garage with a hunter 4 wheel alignment tool and get it shimmed out. That is probably the cheapest option.
Have a read of this thread http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=13840678

[Edited on 12-05-2009 by Ste W]

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
jibjob

12th May 09 at 03:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one mate

how come it only does it on one side though?
Ste
Premium Member

12th May 09 at 03:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read my edited post for a link.^^

Ste
Premium Member

12th May 09 at 03:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jibjob
how come it only does it on one side though?

It might just be that one side is slightly more out than the other. I heard once that if your algnment is out by a mere 0.5mm then over 100miles the tyre has been dragged sideways the equivalent of half a mile

jibjob

12th May 09 at 03:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ouch thats probably why then! dont supose you know of anywhere up this way that does it? im not too far from you i think im just off Junction 17 m6
Ste
Premium Member

12th May 09 at 03:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try these guys http://www.4wheelalignment.co.uk/

Ste
Premium Member

12th May 09 at 03:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are twice the price of 'normal' 4 wheel alignments from the likes of kwikfit but they use Hunter tool which checks camber and castor and is way more accurate.

jibjob

12th May 09 at 03:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was just on their website! i'll give them a call tomorrow have you used them before or had any reports on them?
jibjob

12th May 09 at 03:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ye prices seem to be around £70-100 for a decent centre
Ste
Premium Member

12th May 09 at 03:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know people that have used them and they come recommended. Their machine checks the alignment with the wheels turning while cameras check the measurements. It will get it better than it left the factory.

jibjob

12th May 09 at 03:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one mate i'll give them a call tomorrow then. cheers

New Poll