corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » See if you can sort this one...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author See if you can sort this one...
TheMason66

User status: Offline
15th Jun 09 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, for a long time now, my internet had issues. Not loading properly etc and slow speeds. I did everything possible in my book of tricks to get it working - reinstalled drivers, changing firewalls, uninstalling stuff, running antispyware/virus stuff. My pc is clean. The problem is when i turn my pc on, boots into wondows xp, and then my router magically looses its connection to the internet. There is nothing at all. No IP, DNS or Gateway. I have changed the router, same problem. I am led to believe that i have afaulty NIC on the motherbvoard, or a piece of crappy software pushing out shit loads of packets to the IP and killing the connection.

Now, once i have the money im starting a fresh with a new motherboard, processor and RAM, plus a fresh install of XP, but it has been bugging me for ages, and for me to use the internet i have to restart the router eveytime.

If you have any ideas, please put them forward. It has truly baffled me!!
johnhara1

15th Jun 09 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try another NIC card if it's still occuring when you change the router.

Do you have a broadband modem plugged into the router?
Sam
Premium Member

15th Jun 09 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wireless or wired?
TheMason66

15th Jun 09 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a modem/router, a netgear. Its also wired.
Neo

15th Jun 09 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you get onto the diagnostics/setup of the router ?

If not, can you use a different network cable to connect/try on a different machine ?

If you can connect, does the router say connected and at what speed ?

If you're connected, are you transfering noticible amounts of data even if you cannot connect to the internet (using i.e, ff) [if you router has the capability to show you) ?

Are you with bt ? If so get a line check (Just give them a call, give them the phone line number and they'll take 5 seconds to check it)

If you can see the config pages (ussually on 192.168.1.1 or similar), then your nic is likely to be fine. If not, then the nic in the machine is probably fubared, i have loads of usb to rj-45 connectors, so if you want to try one u2u me your address and i'll stick one in the mail tomorrow

TheMason66

15th Jun 09 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can access the router fine, it says i have a 4000kb down, and 1000kb up. But as soon as i turn my machine on, i believe it sends lots of packets through the connection, like a DoS attack, and the connecction is terminated. Thats what i believe is happening. Will try another LAN cable, see if that helps. Internet and phone are with TalkTalk. Im guessing the NIC on my machine is fooked tho so when i have money, im getting an ASUS Rampage II motherboard to replace, plus Intel E8400 and 4GB RAM.

I now have to reboot the router every time i turn the PC on. Which is frigging annoying, but it all works perfectly after that...
Neo

15th Jun 09 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm thats truely bizarre. You can access it once you have rebooted the router as long as the machine is on ? Or you can access the page before you reboot it ?
John

15th Jun 09 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you think it's the NIC just get a 5 quid pci one and confirm it.
TheMason66

15th Jun 09 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can access the router no matter what. i just have no internet connection before i reboot it.
Neo

15th Jun 09 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok so thats something different, i dont think thats the nic tbh, something else on your machine.

With the machine switched on before you reboot the router can you ping 212.58.251.195

If so can you do a tracert 212.58.251.195 -d

If both of those work and you get a trail of hops to that address, try putting your fixed ip (so if your router is 192.168.1.1, put your pc ip to 192.168.1.2 for example) also put in the subnet mask and your dns addresses. If your ISP havent given you your dns addresses use 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Repair your connection and try to ping www.bbc.co.uk

[Edited on 15-06-2009 by Neo]
TheMason66

15th Jun 09 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

once i have a new motherboard im gonna just wipe the hardrive and eliminate the problem entirely. Its a hardware + software problem, nothin i cam really do to fix it. its a pain in the arse to reboot every time, but i can live with it. its only my pc tho, no others are affected.
Neo

15th Jun 09 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think it is. I think it could possibly be your nic isnt taking the settings from the router on boot.

By doing what i said in my last post not only would it be finding out whether your on the internet but not using any name servers but also how the problem can be fixed.
TheMason66

15th Jun 09 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Problem appears to be with the DHCP service, and the point at which it takes the lease. I need to reinstall the service but cannot find out how. I believe that may be the cause of all this, because the problems only started really after i installed a wireless adaptor, and thn took it off cos it didnt work. Im guessing that the network files got overwritten somehow, screwing up the service.
Neo

15th Jun 09 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DHCP enabled on the router ?
TheMason66

15th Jun 09 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes. i know how to set everything up. just cant fix this bloody thing!!
TheMason66

16th Jun 09 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any ideas from anyone?
oceansoul

16th Jun 09 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

many ideas have been given, you just seem to disregard them?? If you belive the problem is with the dhcp server, then manually assign a fixed ip to your computer and try that
Neo

16th Jun 09 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you think its DHCP, make sure DHCP is enabled and working on the Router

Check in services.msc that all services that are needed are set to automatic. Any apps you need to have running can be controlled in msconfig

Try that, try the other stuff i've said and it will determine exactly rather than you taking a hunch and guessing.

New Poll