corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Engine Trouble

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Engine Trouble
hardlock

User status: Offline
13th Jul 09 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok i'm looking at buying a Corsa 1.6 Sport as my old 1.2 has Epic failed the MOT. I't sgoing very cheap for it's spec and condition, but the only problem it has is the Engine. Here is a Quote...

"The only problem with the car as i know is the over revving problem as stated above. sometimes the engine management light will light up and the engine will over rev anything upto 2000 rpm. We have had a diagnostic test and replaced an engine sensor that the test suggested was faulty but it still occured we also had the throttle mechanisim greased and cleaned in case of sticking but still no resolve."

I'v been googling, and the only things i can come up with are the EGR valve, Air Mass Sensor, Temp Sensor (for the electronic Choke) or or another Inlet Manifold Problem which i cant think of the name of at this moment of time .

Any help would be awesome ASAP, cos i need a car fast

Hardlock
Craig P

13th Jul 09 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wrong Section,This should be in the Help Zone.

But anyhow,Im going to guess at the ICV (Idle Control Valve) This nakered up on my X14XE And it made it Rev all the way upto 4.5k sometime's.

Even that or an Leak!
Richardhhha

13th Jul 09 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like a vacume hose thats perrished
hardlock

13th Jul 09 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh i tried putting it in the Help Zone, but the page wouldnt load, but it is now. Go figure? ? ? (i blame tiscali)

Yeh Idle Control Valve was the other one i was thinking.

Is there anyway before it buy the car of skipping round these symptoms? How much is the ICV? or what i do to fix it.

When you say vacume leak, where abouts?. I'm used to the old 1.2Block, i dont know much about the Ecoteks
Craig P

13th Jul 09 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i got a Non Genuine one for around £25,As a Genuine Vaux one cost's.....£60.

You cant really fix them TBH,There a bitch to get at so if you have it off you may aswell replace it so it doesnt come back and you dont have to strip it all out again.

There's a few Breather's on the Ecotec's (Sport's) That always Perish & Crack and can cause Air Leaks,Also the dougnut Ring on the TB So just check what you can.
hardlock

14th Jul 09 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right i'll have a look at it within the neer future . If not i'll save a bit extra and get a running one LoL. Any little tips for bad things to look for on the 1.6 16v eco's?.

I know the obvious like, emulsified oils and crap
Craig P

14th Jul 09 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check the Service History,Cambelt History as these Engine's are known for snapping Cambelts/Slipping,Funny Engine Noises,Weather or not it's Smoking (Blue/White) There's also the fair share of Breather's Blocking/Perishing.
None of the above is that Hard to replace but it can be Costly and very Time consuming.
If it's Cheap and Ok then i would Deffo consider it even with the Fault you stated as it sound's to me something very little but it can be used in your Favour to barter with the Price

Hope this Helps!
Craig
hardlock

16th Jul 09 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how often do they normally need a cam belt change, and how much is it to be done, i dont have the tools at home to lock the cams
Craig P

16th Jul 09 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think (Although dont Quote me) That it's every 40,000.There's no Special Tools Req to do the Cambelt and TBH It's Easy.
hardlock

21st Jul 09 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok i'v got some more info. I emailed the guy who is selling it. Cos i wanted to know more about the engine fault. Seems a little off still :S. I asked weather it only over revved on Idle or if it did it when on the move. here is his reply.

The engine will overrev when idleing and you do
notice it when you press the clutch down to change gear too, as long
as when your driving your revs are above it's abnormal idle speed you
don't notice it, only when for instance you are slowing down for
traffic. 2000 rpm is the worst case when it does do it it's normally
around 1400 rpm.

I have heard about the paper clip test but unsure how to do it. I
would suggest that the code achieved would be for the sensor I have
already replaced, as when the mechanic retested it the same code
appeared.

What you guys think???

New Poll